Old 08-13-2017, 04:46 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alissaopp View Post
I knew I would get worthwhile input from this site. I am a novice at this, but my conclusion is that before going to the sway bar I need to decide about the benefit, or not, of WD. Given my truck and trailer combination WD does not seem totally necessary, but it probably can't hurt; yes?
Take my advice (FWIW) and just do it. Many types of WD hitch systems have sway control built in, others need a separate friction bar.... but get a WD hitch.
You have a really large trailer with significant hitch weight. Go with WD.

Wanna really start a war? 😱 Ask this forum for pro's & cons of the various hitch systems. Then sit back & enjoy the fireworks 😂 As for me I don't have experience with them all so I can't really say which one. But they all seem to work. Maybe consider ease of setup if that's important to you.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #16
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by alissaopp View Post
-- snip -- yes?
Yes, as suggested above, do your research. Lots of threads on hitches. Pat

"Sway bars" is likely not a correct designation. A tow vehicle will have sway bars - a bar that connects left and right suspension to limit body lean. You may need to upgrade them, but what you are likely asking about and what the above responses are intended to address are weight distribution hitches. These hitches use spring bars to transfer weight to the front axle to retain the ability to steer and maintain stability. Sway control is achieved in several different methods. Understanding what works best for your rig is your research assignment. Have fun. Pat

Old 08-13-2017, 06:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Sway bars are part of the hitch assembly separate from the WD part on some hitches such as some Reese and easlift. Thay are attached to the a frame and the hitch head with small,hitch balls. I towed exclusively on the ball only with two sway control devices. Occasionally using an eazlift adjusted for little or no WD also with the same two sway control bars. No WD...I towed with a oneton truck. Don't try that with your bimmer.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
AS - don't take that bet. Pat
Old 08-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I'm not about to tell you what wd brand to get, as mentioned, it's like politics or religion here. But, I will tell you that the difference is very noticeable in a very positive way. The good thing is that even entry level systems at +/- $500 show that difference. I'm probably starting a war here by saying that, but it's true.

Vote for Jesus!
Old 08-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Well, there are multiple things called "sway bars". One reference is to the anti-sway bars that are (or are not) part of a vehicle's suspension. You can have them on either the front or the rear suspension. They come in various sizes and are a surprising omission on various vehicles. Because they get "left out" by the factory, it's not uncommon to install (or upgrade) them as an after market item.

On some versions of hitch, you can get a friction gizmo to damp out sway. That anti-sway device is very dependent on the type of hitch you get. They are very uncommon without a WD hitch.

So, which one are we talking about ...

Bob
Old 08-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Uncommon?
Old 08-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
It's not a matter of whether you can tow it -- it's how much weight you take off the front (steering) axle. I wouldn't recommend towing a trailer that large without WD.

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Uncommon?
Hi

I do have a tendency to latch onto a word ....

Bob
Old 08-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
When I hear "sway bar" I think of a link that prevents the axle from moving sideways on leaf springs. One side is attached to the frame and the other end to the axle. Very helpful in crosswinds.
But everyone veered into WD hitches, so I'm probably overthinking this.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:26 PM   #25
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
When I hear "sway bar" I think of a link that prevents the axle from moving sideways on leaf springs.
Good thought - what you describe is a panhard rod and it has some other names. Basically it is as you describe, a link/strut that positions an axle so it does not move from side to side. Most prevalent on coil spring solid axle vehicles as the coils have little lateral resistance. Actually it does allow movement as the link is shorter or longer when the the axle goes up and down. Limited value on heavy stiff leaf springs. Not required on independent suspension designs.

AS nailed it in post 17.

Sway Bar should likely be referenced as a Sway Control Strut. It is a sliding assembly with a disk brake style pad and a screw assembly to push it against a friction surface. Look up "Sway Control " "Unit, Kit, or assembly" on Google.

Here is an example. http://sinisterdiesel.com/i-24087479...SABEgKJlvD_BwE

If that is not what the OP had in mind, we are both over thinking it, but I hope not. Pat
Old 08-15-2017, 07:23 AM   #26
Rivet Polisher

1978 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
When I hear "sway bar" I think of a link that prevents the axle from moving sideways on leaf springs. One side is attached to the frame and the other end to the axle. Very helpful in crosswinds.
But everyone veered into WD hitches, so I'm probably overthinking this.
LOL! When I heard "sway bars"I was thinking about an new type of drinking establishment, like disco bars, sports bars, etc.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:33 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhorses View Post
LOL! When I heard "sway bars"I was thinking about an new type of drinking establishment, like disco bars, sports bars, etc.
Hi

I'll admit, *that's* an interpretation that did not occur to me

Bob
Old 08-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Any bar, given sufficient alcohol consumption, is potentially a "sway bar"......🤢

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote