Old 09-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB International
Santa Barbara , California
Should we join?

Howdy, all. Quick question: Is it worth our while to join the following clubs?:

Good Sam Club

We have a 25FB; are still working full-time; try to campout at least 2 weekends out of the month; like to take at least a couple longer trips throughout the year; would like to start boondocking; we love people, our family, and friends, but we don't really see ourselves attending any rallies or large group campouts. We like the quiet and solitude that camping affords. Thoughts?

Thank you.

M and M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
With no mention of the relative ages, the AARP seems to accept only 55+ folks.

The Good Sam Club membership gives a small discount on most purchases during the year at their stores both on-line and storefront. We elected to acquire the life membership.

We joined WBCCI before the first Airstream was physically in our possession. The membership was upgraded to Life to help support the Club. We have met many nice folks through the 4 Corners Unit of the WBCCI and the many rallies they have during the year.

WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Personally, I'm not a joiner. AARP, unless you really need their services is a source of endless junk mail. Camping World does not get real good reviews on Airfofums. Search the forums and read about it. If you don't like big rally's, WBCCI might not be for you. Lots of opinions on here, so have a look...😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Paying to join a club should bring you benefits equaL or more than the cost of dues. That depends on how you intend to use your airstream and if you are planning to use Good Sam campgrounds. WBCCI rallies, depending on the individual chapters, can bring benefits of value to some younger couples. If you were retired, or with time to participate in caravans, wbcci would be worth it.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
One of the first things we did after buying our first Airstream six years ago was join WBCCI. We don't do rallies either, we bought our Airstream to travel. And we do. And that's the reason we joined, for the caravans.

Unfortunately the timing hasn't been right, we are summer lake residents in Minnesota and travel fall until spring. Yet each year we get the dues notice, look at all the caravans coming up, and make out the check. We'll hook up with them sooner or later, and I think it could be habit forming.

Wishing they would do a Mexico caravan in winter months.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
I joined AARP when I hit 55 and got house & auto insurance from Hartford through AARP - literally 50% less than I had been paying through Allstate. Never had to use the auto/RV insurance but did use it when a storm damaged our house in Austin several years ago... The adjuster was out there within two days and the claim was approved immediately - check in hand by the first part of the following week. Very pleased. AARP also has a good lobby...

As far as "junk mail", I've simply unsubscribed from their mailings and haven't received anything else.

Good Sam is good if you buy a lot from Camping World...

I myself have been debating WBCCI for years now... May yet still join up since it's a club dedicated to Airstream and folks who have more knowledge than I...

And I won't put the red numbers on the cap of my Airstream!
Bill & Kim
34 Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
There is no requirement to put the numbers on, although there old gray beard members that pretend that there is. They do serve a purpose at the larger rallies as a way to find a specific trailer in an emergency situation.

AARP, good source for different kinds of insurance and purchase diascounts.
Good Sam, good roadside assistance program and occasional discounts at Camping World.
WBCCI, good source for fellowship and opportunity to meet people with a common interest.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by M and M View Post

Good Sam Club

Also Passport America, KOA, and whatever others you can think of.

Best way is to go ahead and join each one for a year. If you get enough benefit from that year's membership to make it worthwhile, then renew and enjoy. Otherwise let the membership lapse after that first year and move on with no regrets.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I have been a member of all three. Good Sam was beneficial at first for the discounts on campgrounds and publications. AARP is also good as I have retired. Their discounts and their lobbing efforts to represent seniors make it a good value for me. I joined WBCCI but felt the organization was too regimented and at the time locally, did not consider the needs of working members. I left Good Sam after the original founder sold the organization and its focus changed and I found that supposedly special discounts offered to members on their various publications were also being offered to non members.

So look at each organization for cost and benefits. If the benefits out weigh the costs, then it's a good deal. If not, pass it by and spend the costs of the membership on something that makes you happy.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote