Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Should older airstreams be restored OR customized?
Totally gut the older airstream and start over? 96 47.52%
Keep older airstreams totally original! 111 54.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2004, 02:40 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Buy a good one... why not

I have not seen a decent pop (hand) riveter at any Lowes I have checked. I have looked in about 5 stores. Same at Home Depot. They both carry the Arrow brand. I would not have that altho some on these forums have said they use them. The swivel head Stanley is what I would try to find. I called all over Houston and San Antonio and couldn't find one in stock anywhere.
If I remember the model number is 77. Price about 30 dollars. Highly recomended by others on various forums. I still have not gone and ordered mine. Maybe this thread will remind me.

As for remods I think that moving a bathroom forward is a nightmare for all but the most adept home craftsman. In fact if I was to consider purchasing a trailer that had been "Full Monty'd" it would have to have very close and plumb finish work in order not to be a deduct from value. The curvature at both the floor height and on up the walls makes almost all additions or customs real tricky. Mis-cuts and make-dos will be apparent to any well read (forum-read) interested party. I own the same year, size, & floorplan as you. I know that the 74 31ft are cheap enough to just find the center bath somewhere. You should get enough for yours to make a even swap.
IMO and it is just that (Mine) there is little or nothing about the 70's era to get "Smithsonian" about. Lots of plastic & fake wood glutz ..not even glitz.
However I sleep just as well in mine as if it were a new CCD. And it is a lot of fun to suffer with making it better. Why put ten grand into something you can only insure to recover 8000 or less?

As a rental property owner I have seen so many well-meaning projects that tenants have started go astray. It just looks so easy in Better Homes or Southern Living. Of course they all do this without my knowledge and then I have to have it torn out and redone usually.

Good luck.
I know you are in Ark. now but which side of Texarkana are yall orig from?
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:26 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet restore or customize??

I, too, only found the rivet gun to which you were referring--i.e., Arrow, and will now extend my search for the Stanley, as you suggested. I would rather have less headaches in the long run if I can. On using the rivets-did you use the washerless? And if so, will Vulkem sealant be enough to seal leaks?
There are a couple of reasons for wanting the center bath as opposed to our current rear bath besides the rear separation problem---sleeping accomodations. My husband is a rather large man and the gaucho is not comfortable nor does it meet our needs. My traveling assignments usually last 13 weeks or more--the last one lasted 8 months.
We are also concerned with the curvature of the walls when placing a bath/shower area and I am perplexed as to how to do this and what materials to use. We haven't access to an RV supply dealership, but did see a few on our travels. We would like to have it finished before I take on my next assignment if possible..
You asked from what area we are originally from--my father had coached in the surrounding areas, and because I found a home close to one of the hospitals, I moved to the Arkansas side of Texarkana. State line divides the two states, so if you turn right off of the state line--you are in Texas and to the left is Arkansas. Where are you from??? Keep me in mind for any ideas or tips for renovating our AS--it is greatly appreciated!!
Old 04-21-2004, 06:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Is this the riveter ya'll are looking for?

http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=Stanley
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 07:20 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
rivet gun

MAN__YOU ARE GOOD!! And a photo to boot!! Wish I could reach into the screen and get it! Thanks!
Old 04-21-2004, 07:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Wink Hey Bobby...did you come over & take a picture of ours?

Looks just like that...got it at Lowes, under $30 bucks as described.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I originally posted this gun thread 05-05-2002, 10:35 PM, the day I bought it.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=Stanley

The picture is of it sitting on my black tank in the yard.

It still works like new. I have used it on tons of other things and loaned it to the neighborhood fixers several times.

-Bobby
Old 04-22-2004, 05:40 AM   #27
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Mine looks just like it, but say Craftsman on the side. My DW bought it for me after I saw Bobby's way back when. I have one of the Arrow ones too, but that is for emergencies. BTW I won't loan it out. I am afraid I won't get it back

Everyone who sees it and uses a rivet gun wants one.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:14 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&vertical=TOOL

And only $17.99

Sears item #00974749000
Mfr. model #74749

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
Old 04-22-2004, 06:48 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have that same gun , bought in 1974 when I did a van conversion. It still rivets well and has fixed a number of places on my AS.

As to the original topic of this thread- when I got my motorhome the seat and trim fabric was worn out and I opted to keep the original design of the structure, but upgrade and improve the look and grade of the fabric.

I later decided I hated the old wood grain stripe on the outside, and wanted a new look, I posted a poll to see what others thought about my striping options, and surprise---the results were mixed...some thought it had to stay original while others of course were ok with a new design.

I went with a new design, and have been super happy with the result.

I must say I love seeing a retro look, even down to the accessories and all, but I also really like seeing the creative ways folks modernize and change their Airstream's...looking forward to seeing Swebster's new CCD looking motorhome...all the creative designs and ideas are what contributes to making this hobby (read- obsession) such a personal and fun one.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:13 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Talking rivet gun

Hey guys!! I went to Lowe's tonight and finally found a hand rivet gun. It is not the Stanley brand--Arrow, but it also has the 360 swivel head and interchangable parts. I can't wait to try it out, but I have to gut everything first. They also had many more sizes than previously! Your photos helped tremendously!! Thanks again so much!!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:16 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeynstein
There are a couple of reasons for wanting the center bath as opposed to our current rear bath besides the rear separation problem---sleeping accomodations. My husband is a rather large man and the gaucho is not comfortable nor does it meet our needs. My traveling assignments usually last 13 weeks or more--the last one lasted 8 months.
We are also concerned with the curvature of the walls when placing a bath/shower area and I am perplexed as to how to do this and what materials to use. We haven't access to an RV supply dealership, but did see a few on our travels. We would like to have it finished before I take on my next assignment if possible..

Again I advise you to not even think of the bathroom switch.
You will be undertaking very near a "Full Monty" restoration. You will spend much more time and money than you could go and buy a whole new vintage trailer for. You will be frustrated beyond imagination with finding parts, buying parts long distance, recieving parts, etc. most likely not inexpensive and most likely no warranty on the parts. You will be required to be a pipefitter, a plumber, pretty fair body man, an electrician, a damn good finish carpenter, maybe a glazier, maybe a HVAC tech, maybe a chassis mechanic, mighty good with a caulk gun, a good welder, perhaps a long haul auto detailer (polisher), and a servicable seamstress (like Smily) , but you shouldn't need any bricklaying skills. Of course it is good you are already a nurse for all the burns, cuts, slices, splinters, and muscle strains you will encounter. And all this would be fine if there was no imposed time limit over your heads.
Forget it and trade. Believe me a 1974 Sovereign is probably not worth the effort especially if it already has tail sag or rear end separation. Not that those too can not be fixed, they can. BTW center baths get rear end separation and tail sag too.

First you all need to know exactly whether it has that or not.
2nd you need to know the conkition of the axles. You can do fair with weak axles if you are not going to move it far or often. Or if you are not going to sink alot more money into it. But why redo the interior and have bad axles shake all the work apart? New axles= approx.$2000.00 for a pair.
I know this sounds all negative...but it is not. But have a plan. Detailed. Know what you have to work with. And put a pencil to every item and task.
If you have the time and the energy and the willingness to ask for help, you can do almost anything. That's for sure.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:49 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
switching rear bath to center

Wow, I knew that considering to change to a rear bathroom was going to be a chore, but your information has given me much more insight. I have been researching other alternatives, but still have not found anything that I would be happy with as far as sleeping accomodations either. With the information you have given me leads me to believe that perhaps I should just keep the bathroom right where it is, because the more I have looked into changing the rear to the side, everything seems to be adding up expense wise--not to mention all of the labor. It also leads me to believe that should I attempt to tackle this project that I would end up abandoning it and would be left with a gutted mess. I would be doing most, if not all of the renovation myself...If only I could win the Lottery...........
Old 08-01-2004, 09:30 AM   #33
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
I have a 1972 26' Argosy TT. The interior wasn't much good for live-in use when it was new. I have been up-dating the interior a little at a time and enjoy it more and more.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
My opinion is not exclusively one or the other. I've seen some beautifully restored units that were neither completely gutted nor totally restored to 'original'.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:05 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
In my case I had no choice. My coach was completly gutted out when I bought it.
It had been donated to a church and was being used for storage. I had a hard time convincing the church to sell it to me so I traded an enclosed utility trailer and a $200.00 donation and I was able to swing the deal, (total investment $800.00). My opinion now is I would have been better off buying a working unit even if it needed some work. Only problem there is it would have costed a bundle which I can't afford.
Add $3,940.00 later and countless hours of work over a year and a half, and it still lacks holding tanks, courtains, plumbing and interior electrics.
Best part of all this is that I have really enjoyed doing the "resurection" (except the kitchen cabinet was done by others) and I have learned a great deal here at the forums, thanks to all the members!
Ernie
'58 Traveler 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:21 AM   #36
Craftsman

I think if you have to go as far as plumbing, holding tanks and electrical when considering a restoration it is never going to be cost or labor effective. Take it from someone who started out with the idea of restoring a vintage Land Rover and ended up building anew one. When I say new, I mean everything, every nut bolt and washer in the vechile was new. New chassis, body panels, engine, transmission, wiring everything. People would ask me, " what did it look like when you started. They couldn't believe me when I would tell them that there wasn't anything. The parts and service manual and a bank account. I don't want to tell you how long it takes to build a car by yourself in your spare time as well as how much money I spent. I even bought the spray equiptment built a spray booth and painted every panel before I installed them. When it was complete my wife my son and myself drove it 13 hours to Vermont for the largest British car show on the East coast. It won a first place but it worth it? It's something that I felt compelled to do but I would never do it again. It takes too uch enery time and money away from other things that are more important. I think you have to be careful getting into any project like a Airstream restoraton and ask yourself whats the maximum amount of time and money your willing to commit and then realize that it in reality will take more of everything, and most of the time A LOT more.Having said that , I plan on replacing the complete interior of my 76 Sovereign. At least I'm starting with something and it's in very good condition. As for keeping it original or changing things to suit your tastes and needs? Original isn't the Holy Grail, do what makes you smile.

Jack
Old 10-13-2004, 05:34 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Ernie,

I have no interior and nothing else on the inside of my trailer. I have to even remove the shell to repair the frame. As for "Original" maybe a original feel, but not a restoration.

As for what Jack has said, I did just about the same thing with a 1963 Cub Cadet garden tractor (read ovver grown lawn mower) Too much time and money. The Airstream is different. The whole family is in on this one. Time is not an issue, we work when we can and money is around. I scavange my parts and will make what I can using what was left of the interior. It is a hobby and a labor of love. When it is done we will enjoy it for years to come.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:43 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Till;
Thank you for the coments and encouragement. Even though sometimes I feel like giving up I'm going to finish the project myself. It IS a labor of love and very rewarding specialy when friends family and strangers see what you have acomplished and just love it and congratulate you on a job well done. I have even been asked if it is new and they can't believe me when I tell them it's a 1958.
I also have to agree with Jack (Craftsman), that it takes forever to complete and that it will cost you a bundle of cash. That is something that I don't have in the piggy bank but something that over the span of the "resurection" (not a restoration) will not be so painfull.
Thanks guys, and stick arround, I'm not done yet!
Ernie
"58 Traveler 18 ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:38 PM   #39
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Depends ...

on the condition of the coach and the age. The older the coach, the more I think it should be restored to something approaching original condition.

If a coach is in fine condition, then I hate to see anything except restoration to near the original configuration. If it has already been altered quite a bit or little original of the original interior can be salvaged, then modify away.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:02 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I have a question on this topic.

In restoration, are we talking "as deliverd" or as it was at a given time in its life??

I ran into this at the railway museum that worked at.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote