View Poll Results: Should older airstreams be restored OR customized?
Totally gut the older airstream and start over? 96 47.52%
Keep older airstreams totally original! 111 54.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2004, 01:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Deja Vu. I seem to have had this conversation before.

Anyways... Just about everything I own I have redone, refurbished, restored, renovated, redesigned, retrofitted, remodeled, and fortunately... have not had repossessed.

I think it is really cool to remake (did I use that one yet?) a trailer back to it's original state as if it were new. I love seeing houses done this way, cars, and why not trailers? But for me, I like to modify and redesign things to suit my needs and tastes, which is what I am doing with my trailer. If I could have afforded a new CCD with the options and modifications that I wanted, and gotten back the last few years of my life, I would probably have gone that way. $$$ says otherwise for me. I have no intentions of selling my trailer, even though I know to never say never. It is just my opinion that restoring a 70's trailer with fake dark wood laminates to it's original look wouldn't do anything for it's value should I ever decide to sell it. I believe that the modifications and modernizing of my interior would certainly make it easier to sell, and would make it more desirable. I will say though, that if my trailer had real wood in it that I would refinish panels if needed. I would most certainly change out countertops, fabrics and curtains, and most likely flooring. So in the eyes of Airstream purists, I have sinned. An Airstream sacrilege. I'm having great fun, as should everyone else in their creations. What a great medium aluminum is to work with.

Sneakinup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 01:51 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Actually, Sneakinup, your trailer is the one I was thinking of when I said I'd seen some pretty nicely done modified trailers. I think your's is great! Not sacrilege at all!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 01:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Thanks!

Sneakinup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I don't see how one could improve on the Caravel layouts. I have the dinette in front and it's great. New cushions and fabric and expert made curtains. Replaced fridge with some modification. Oh, cork floor. Wife loves the cork floor.
The 59 is in tough shape. It will be rebuilt/customized/reoriginalized as practical. Meaning good for trips of months and dry camping for a week. That will require departures from the original systems. As far as layout I think AS's are hard to improve on. I draw and draw and draw. End up with there format's or very near everytime. There is only so much you can do different and still have it work as well in 8 feet by something space.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up

Quote:
It is just my opinion that restoring a 70's trailer with fake dark wood laminates to it's original look wouldn't do anything for it's value should I ever decide to sell it.
My point exactly..."it would depend on the condition of the trailer to begin with."

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:50 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Red face

I spent literally hours on the member's photo forum and am extremely impressed with all of the results. I am really considering gutting it and customizing it for several reasons. One, is it's age and two, I am concerned with the rear separation issue. We want to move the bath to a better location and put a bedroom in the back. Also, we noticed when replacing the old carpet with linoleum some rot. It makes me very curious as to what rust may be on the frame and also just how much plumbing needs replacement. I think I am going to use the quest pipe when I take everything out. The lights in the front gaucho area no longer come on and someone said that I could have a leak from the old antenna located on the top of the trailer. It is so covered in old goo that has been caked on by the PO, that I am hoping that a small leak is the only reason for the light failure. I did not go to mom's today to remove boxes from the trailer because of the weather and am hoping it won't be raining again tomorrow. I will have camera in hand when I go though. Question--we are thinking of using some aluminum on the interior but do not know what thickness to get or where to get it from. We saw some flashing, but it scratches and is flimsy....Has any one used a hand riviter? Let me know if it is worthwhile because I am going to Lowe's tomorrow to look at them and also what size of rivets are best for the interior and exterior????
Old 04-21-2004, 03:40 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Buy a good one... why not

I have not seen a decent pop (hand) riveter at any Lowes I have checked. I have looked in about 5 stores. Same at Home Depot. They both carry the Arrow brand. I would not have that altho some on these forums have said they use them. The swivel head Stanley is what I would try to find. I called all over Houston and San Antonio and couldn't find one in stock anywhere.
If I remember the model number is 77. Price about 30 dollars. Highly recomended by others on various forums. I still have not gone and ordered mine. Maybe this thread will remind me.

As for remods I think that moving a bathroom forward is a nightmare for all but the most adept home craftsman. In fact if I was to consider purchasing a trailer that had been "Full Monty'd" it would have to have very close and plumb finish work in order not to be a deduct from value. The curvature at both the floor height and on up the walls makes almost all additions or customs real tricky. Mis-cuts and make-dos will be apparent to any well read (forum-read) interested party. I own the same year, size, & floorplan as you. I know that the 74 31ft are cheap enough to just find the center bath somewhere. You should get enough for yours to make a even swap.
IMO and it is just that (Mine) there is little or nothing about the 70's era to get "Smithsonian" about. Lots of plastic & fake wood glutz ..not even glitz.
However I sleep just as well in mine as if it were a new CCD. And it is a lot of fun to suffer with making it better. Why put ten grand into something you can only insure to recover 8000 or less?

As a rental property owner I have seen so many well-meaning projects that tenants have started go astray. It just looks so easy in Better Homes or Southern Living. Of course they all do this without my knowledge and then I have to have it torn out and redone usually.

Good luck.
I know you are in Ark. now but which side of Texarkana are yall orig from?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:26 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet restore or customize??

I, too, only found the rivet gun to which you were referring--i.e., Arrow, and will now extend my search for the Stanley, as you suggested. I would rather have less headaches in the long run if I can. On using the rivets-did you use the washerless? And if so, will Vulkem sealant be enough to seal leaks?
There are a couple of reasons for wanting the center bath as opposed to our current rear bath besides the rear separation problem---sleeping accomodations. My husband is a rather large man and the gaucho is not comfortable nor does it meet our needs. My traveling assignments usually last 13 weeks or more--the last one lasted 8 months.
We are also concerned with the curvature of the walls when placing a bath/shower area and I am perplexed as to how to do this and what materials to use. We haven't access to an RV supply dealership, but did see a few on our travels. We would like to have it finished before I take on my next assignment if possible..
You asked from what area we are originally from--my father had coached in the surrounding areas, and because I found a home close to one of the hospitals, I moved to the Arkansas side of Texarkana. State line divides the two states, so if you turn right off of the state line--you are in Texas and to the left is Arkansas. Where are you from??? Keep me in mind for any ideas or tips for renovating our AS--it is greatly appreciated!!
Old 04-21-2004, 07:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Is this the riveter ya'll are looking for?

http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=Stanley
Old 04-21-2004, 08:20 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
rivet gun

MAN__YOU ARE GOOD!! And a photo to boot!! Wish I could reach into the screen and get it! Thanks!
Old 04-21-2004, 08:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Wink Hey Bobby...did you come over & take a picture of ours?

Looks just like that...got it at Lowes, under $30 bucks as described.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I originally posted this gun thread 05-05-2002, 10:35 PM, the day I bought it.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=Stanley

The picture is of it sitting on my black tank in the yard.

It still works like new. I have used it on tons of other things and loaned it to the neighborhood fixers several times.

-Bobby
Old 04-22-2004, 06:40 AM   #27
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Mine looks just like it, but say Craftsman on the side. My DW bought it for me after I saw Bobby's way back when. I have one of the Arrow ones too, but that is for emergencies. BTW I won't loan it out. I am afraid I won't get it back

Everyone who sees it and uses a rivet gun wants one.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:14 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&vertical=TOOL

And only $17.99

Sears item #00974749000
Mfr. model #74749

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote