Old 06-09-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Johns Island , South Carolina
Sewer connections - what do you use or recommend?

Since buying a used AS, have been using the hoses and connectors PO left on board. Know there are several types or brands out there. Just don't know the difference. Any info or recommendations appreciated.

Ernie -

Old 06-10-2006, 01:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Good stuff here is important!

Ernie -

When I bought my SilverToy, I too got a collection of hoses and the like. I used the search function and found members that had similar trailers and asked them what they used, why/ why not, and more importantly - how?

SilverToy is my first foray into camping with my own trailer and the attendant issues, ie emptying the BT. This is NOT where I wanted to have oops's or leaks or ANYTHING resembling problems...!

I fellow member opined that he used a "Flush King" valve, and why. Sounded like sage and wise advice. Bought the FK - not cheap - and it has served very well.

In a nutshell, it allows you to 'see' if the fluid/ water/ content is coming out of the tank clean - or if it needs another refill with the attached hose, and then another dump. Check the website for all the FK info.

I keep doing it til the water all comes out clean. Surprisingly, there are numerous occations where several fill/ dump cycles are needed. I would REALLY hate to not know if it was all coming out clean and I blissfully went on my merry way with something that was going to CLOG UP. That would really be a crappy (pun intended) job to have to take on.

On the hose front - get a good quality hose in the appropriate length. Be sure the wire in the perimeter is good and sturdy. Something TOO long will try to 'squirm' all over as the fluids dump. Be sure the fittings are tight. Some CG's require 90 elbows as the hose enters the septic tube, so that is likely another good 'few dollars' to spend on your new AS habit.

Sorry if I went on to long on this matter, but then you DID ask! Hope that helps.

Enjoy that AS!

Axel

Old 06-10-2006, 06:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I have used the Sewer Solution for about 5 years and love it.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
I fellow member opined that he used a "Flush King" valve, and why. Sounded like sage and wise advice. Bought the FK - not cheap - and it has served very well.
Axel
After seeing the newer A/S's and other RV's that come manufactured with tank flush systems, I thought having a method to get a good flush and rinse would be a good idea. I was amazed at what remained in the tank after dumping. It seems to take several good flushes to clean it all out. The flush king seems to work very well. One slight problem I'm having is the flush king mates to Valterra type connections where my sewer outlet is Thetford. I'm using the adapter, but it is not totally leak tight .
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #5
Site Team

, Minnesota
I use Valterra valve and parts. Thetford are higher quality, but they are sometimes hard to find.

I figure anything hanging down where it can be sheared off should be cheap and easy to find. I don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere looking for a Thetford valve.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Here is another vote for the Sewer Solution. The only problem I had with it was with the adapter to go from the Thetford bayonette connector to the Standard connector on the SS. The adapter failed and I went through 3 of them because of the strain placed on the connection by the SS and it's attendant hoses. I solved that problem by going to my neighborhood friendly RV store and picked up the hardware to replace the Thetford. I sawed off the Thetford and replaced it with the new one and haven't had a problem since. The SS does away with the smelly mess. The SS costs from 80 to 100 dollars depending on where you get it. On-line is best.

One suggestion, when I got mine, it came with a 10ft hose. I got a second 10ft hose and that has come in very handy.
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
http://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Same Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight
I have used the Sewer Solution for about 5 years and love it.
I've only had mine for a year, but boy, no pinhole leaks, no stench, and you can see when the flow is clear. Finally, it cleans up well enough that if you want to, you CAN do a "look mom no gloves" disassembly when you break camp.

Paula Ford
Old 06-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
What keeps sewer water from backing up into the fresh water connection.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
"Positive - one way" connection valves!!!!

Wac -

Check out those websites!

They offer plenty of alternatives. Use the search button to give you a 'plentyful' starting point....

Happy hunting!

Axel
Old 06-11-2006, 05:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacnstac
The Flush King has a check valve at the connection point. I added another check valve at the location (Valterra and Camco make them, $2-3 any camping supply, campground store, WalMart) just to be safe. My local plumbing code requires a double check on my house from city water. I also use a dedicated hose for flushing, or the hose at the campground dump station. Also, if you make sure the pressure in the supply hose is always greater than the waste stream, there will be no cross contamination. The FK has its own water supply shutoff valve, and by closing that with the hose pressurized, there should be no migration of contaminants.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
After seeing the newer A/S's and other RV's that come manufactured with tank flush systems, I thought having a method to get a good flush and rinse would be a good idea. I was amazed at what remained in the tank after dumping. It seems to take several good flushes to clean it all out. The flush king seems to work very well. One slight problem I'm having is the flush king mates to Valterra type connections where my sewer outlet is Thetford. I'm using the adapter, but it is not totally leak tight .

I'm thinking about adapting some kind of o-ring or rubber seal to the end of the Valterra adapter where it connects to the Thetford end. This should resolve the "drips".

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
I'm thinking about adapting some kind of o-ring or rubber seal to the end of the Valterra adapter where it connects to the Thetford end. This should resolve the "drips".
Please let me know how your "adapter" works and how you made the modification.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacnstac
From the SewerSolution website:

"Make sure that you have a properly installed Anti-Siphon Valve installed in your supply hose. (An Anti-Siphon Valve is supplied with the SewerSolution). When gravity draining grey water, disconnect the garden hose from the pump and install the inlet plug to prevent leakage through the anti-siphon valve."

"Will the SewerSolution clog ??"

"The normal contents of the RV sewage tank will not clog the SewerSolution. Just like on a ship the rules are " don't put anything in the head unless you have eaten it first...." Things that can lead to clogging are low water pressure (need at least 15 psi)."

From the string of endorcements this product undoubtedly performs as advertised, but... I think it's a little scary mating a fresh water hose to a black water connection. It strikes me as being pretty unpalatable. All it would take to contaminate the entire campground freshwater supply is for someone to forget to use an anti-siphon valve, or for the anti-siphon valve to fail. This product has to have a supply of fresh water at the proper psi to work and so wouldn't be something to use where water is scarce.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Please let me know how your "adapter" works and how you made the modification.
Will do. I have a trip coming up in about three weeks, so whatever I come up with between now and then will get tested then.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote