Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #1

Sell it? Keep it? Restore it? Use as is? HELP!

I don't know what to do and I don't know how to use this forum thready thingy. HELP
georgiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

You just used it, now just type in a question and someone will answer it.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
How about give it!

I was born in 69 and I want a 69 Airstream in a bad way...what shape is it in?

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

I have a 1969 29' Ambassador for sale $3750.00, it has a dinette up front.
I like 69 too! lol
Old 03-11-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
I have a 1969 Sovereign 31' Airstream. I am told by my father it is quite usable. He has done some work on it to see that it is so. It is presently parked in N. Carolina at a campsite, where it was heavily used last summer. I'm thinking of bringing it back to Georgia and using it in the summer at a church camp. Polishing it appeals to me. (Why, I could not tell you!) My question: Do I keep it, or sell it? I really can't decide.

ahhh I found the question!

First off
Welcome!

This forum is set up in categories. Near the top left you will see a couple helpful buttons. One is marked "Forum" that gets you to the main topics page when you can find the topic that interests you or best matches the topic of a question.

As for your Question Well cant really answer if you want to keep it but I am more then sure we could help you with any questions on how to use it, tow it and repair it. Loving is something you have to do on your own.
As for getting it home. NC isnt far but that size coach needs a reasonably powerful tow rig.

Once thats secured you need to find out if the tires are old and when the last time the wheel bearings were serviced. Tires rot out and campers that have been stagnate for a long period of time should have them checked and if in doubt replaced. 7 years is about it for a tire regardless of age. After that its just a matter of time before a failure.

Wheel bearings are something that needs occasional attention. Not hard to do but does require some tools.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Where in NC?
I am in NC in the mountains near Asheville.
I may be able to help you.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #7

Thank you for the warm welcome. "Give it..." Okay that was funny. Nice try. I have a tow vehicle. My brother has a small tractor (as in tractor trailer) and as long as it is running he will tow it for me. I'm sure I need tires, and Dad says I need brakes but with the tractor it won't matter about brakes. (Is that possible?) How much am I looking at for brakes and tires?
My trailer is in Bryson City.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
About $90 per tire plus mounting. Good year marathon ST's (Trailer tire) seem to be the tire of choice.

Brakes...really don't know till you look at it. It may be just a wiring problems and cost next to nothing ot fix.

Might have burnt out magnets. Figure about $80 a axle for loaded brake backing plates with new shoes and magnets if they are totally wore out. Again the labor I don't know about. I do my own repairs. Need to find out exactly what size and style brakes the coach has but here is a link to a common style. http://www.etrailerpart.com/mywebs/m...58_2963055.htm

Plenty of places around town where you could pick up local.

Also, that may be a odd year with the brakes. Airstream played around with some different set ups over the years. Need to find out exactly what that one has. Hopefully Andy will see this post. Hes the resident expert as to what years had what parts. you could drop him a line as well. www.inlandrv.com is his business.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:27 AM   #9
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Sell or keep?

Hi Georgiagirl. Unless you're strapped for cash, I'd recommend keeping and enjoying it. Vintage Airstrean trailers in good condition are better than money in the bank.
If you can afford it, I'd suggest you get it to an Airstream dealer or full service RV shop for a full check-up and estimate of whatever is needed (running gear, electrical and LP systems, etc).

"Polishing it appeals to me. (Why, I could not tell you!) "

That being the case, you just might be a glutton for punishment like so many of us and will find that, with the aid of these forums, you can do much of the fix-up work yourself.
Spend a little time getting familiar with the forums and don't be bashful with any questions.
Welcome aboard!

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Exclamation Hi Georgia Girl

I've been a member of this forum for less than a year and I've read voraciously. Originally the idea of a vintage unit (and the price of a vintage unit) really appealed to me. Then I started reading threads about the "full monte", plumbing problems, electrical problems, mouse poo in the insulation, previous owner's "repairs" that actually caused more problems, frames breaking and sagging, etc. Time for a reality check.

I'm wowed by the amount of knowledge here, and how even the wierdest problems have three people chiming in with "oh, I know how to fix that" - and how willing people are to go 200 miles to help someone rescue a vintage unit from a field or barn. I have gained a huge amount of respect for folks who love and care for their vintage units.... and at a rally I'll pitch in and help them for an afternoon, then go back to my brand spanking new 2005 22ft CCD, sit quietly sipping some white zinfindel and zone out quietly. I decided I could afford it - with a cupboard full of "alpo-helper" but...

The restorers are brave and resourceful. I am smart (chicken) enough to realize that running a business or two is "challenging" enough for me! I want an Airstream that is fun and requires only normal day to day maintenance. I've got relatives in Ohio so I can even drop it off in Jackson Center once a year for an annual safety check and PM.

In the end, the choice that is right for you... only has to be right for YOU. If you decide NOT to keep it, just make sure it goes to someone who will
(a) give you get a fair price for it
(b) use the money for something that will give you and your family joy
(c) find a new owner who will care for it, love it, and enjoy it

If you decide you want to keep it - join WBCCI and stay active on this forum! You'll get so much help and make so many friends it will amaze you.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:25 PM   #11

Thank you all. I am emailing Andy for help. Knowing 59toaster is in Atlanta is comforting. I am also a business woman, Paula. Seeing Rog's reply confirmed what I suspected... that owning one is better than money in the bank. If it wasn't already mine, this situation would be different. The original purchase was a romantic whim and I bought the trailer from a friend who had used it often and upgraded to another model. I think I may be just stupid enough to keep and work on this baby, being the descendant of a long line of tinkerers. So I'm onboard and will be back often to get advice. I can't bear to part with her until she's polished, at least.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
are you considering coming to our GA rally? It is just the place to learn about the trailer and what it takes to own one...you can come up for the day even without the trailer or rent a cabin there if you choose to. We are nice to newbies...even have had future owners who are not sure about buying one...
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:39 PM   #13
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Exclamation What she said

Paula got it exactly right. Keep it, or not. At least see that it gets a good home if it turns out not to be right for you; as she said, that's for you and your family to decide. After a while, you will find there are many folks here on the south side that are members of the forum. Many of them don't post a lot, but they may contact you thru PM or give you just the right advise at the precise moment you need it. And that's just the 'ol boys and gals in here in Joja! Good luck with your decision.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote