Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pembroke Pines , Florida
Seeking opinions

I am semi retired. I wish to travel a couple times a year from fl to ca, shorter trips closer to home also, It’s just me sometimes one more. In a few 2? Years I may full time.

I am considering early 90s sov 21, or early 2000s Bambi 19.

If you have a minute could you compare and contrast these units?

Thank you.
Hobo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

In both cases, the condition of the specific trailer you find is probably more important than this or that exact floor plan / year. You are looking at two that are ~ 10 years apart in age. Odds are that the newer one will be easier to find in better shape.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pembroke Pines , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

In both cases, the condition of the specific trailer you find is probably more important than this or that exact floor plan / year. You are looking at two that are ~ 10 years apart in age. Odds are that the newer one will be easier to find in better shape.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Not so much about condition more on functionality of each compared. Ease of towing, comfort, maintenance costs, long term travel, off grid mod possibility etc.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pembroke Pines , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo Bob View Post
Thanks Bob. Not so much about condition more on functionality of each compared. Ease of towing, comfort, maintenance costs, long term travel, off grid mod possibility etc.

I don't wish to go bigger than 21 ft or less than Bambi 19 so it is down to a choice of these two.
I know the 21 has greater water capacity and there are advantages and disadvantages to two axels.
Both models are similar in bed and bath area.
Either one I will remodel interior along the lines of Winick 19
Old 07-26-2018, 08:01 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Two axles are better than one axle if a tire blows out. You also have four brakes instead of two for stopping. Twice as many tires cost twice as much. One axle bobs a slight bit more going down the road.

If you are doing a gut job, the interior really does not matter does it? I'd bet the (slightly) bigger trailer will be easier to fit stuff back into. There's not a lot of interior in a small trailer. Redoing it "your way" is not terribly crazy.

Condition does matter on 20+ year old trailers. Often it comes down to the frame / floor being rotted out and taking an extra year to do the re-model. Yes, you can get lucky. The odds pile up against you the more years the trailer has been out and about.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
When I was hunting for my trailer, I too was looking at the 18-21' long range of trailers. I ended up with a '73 21' Globetrotter. In terms of space, 3' of length is like adding a whole additional room. Every time I step into a trailer smaller than my 21', I just feel the walls closing in around me, and the claustrophobia rising. I can't imaging spending very much time in a trailer that small, and certainly couldn't see myself living in it full time.

My 21' is a single axle trailer, and it tows just fine. It does get pushed around a bit when a big truck passes, but most of the towing I have done with it has been a virtually empty shell, so it will be more resistant to sway once it is weighed down with furnishings and full water tanks, etc. One advantage to the single axle is that I can spin the trailer 360 degrees in my driveway using only my own grunt power, or a small electric trailer dolly. I doubt if that would be so easily done with a double axle. Now, if you don't need to spin your trailer on a dime, then there are benefits to the double axle as mentioned above.

Both sizes of trailers will boondock with similar effectiveness. That being said, the bigger the trailer, the more room you have inside for additional batteries, and the more space you have on your roof for solar panels, if that is the direction you see yourself going. There isn't much real-estate on the roof of a 19' trailer.

Maintenance costs for the two trailers will be similar, except with respect to buying 4 tires for the double axle trailer. Just be warned that if you are looking at buying a trailer in Florida (or anywhere along the coast), you run the risk of getting something with a rusting frame and rotting floors. Make sure you know what you are getting yourself into--a floor replacement is a non trivial repair.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote