Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: If the WBCCI changes it’s Logo and Identity, will you renew your membership?
Yes, I would renew with the new club. 59 73.75%
No, I would not renew my membership in the WBCCI. 9 11.25%
I am undecided. 12 15.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2005, 10:23 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Pieman, which unit are you in? Is there another unit nearby that might be a little more with-it? Yours sounds pretty, um, how to put this politely, not very exciting? Even our luncheons are more fun than that, and rallys are where the good units really shine.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
try a rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
We signed on Dec12/05. We're so new we haven't recieved our packet yet and already I'm wondering "why in the world did I do such a thing"?. I first became suspicious when our unit treasure asked who sponsored us. I begun to wonder if this is some kind of society that required some connection with those on the Inside to approve our membership. I'm sure glad I passed whatever test I was being judged on. After reading many of the members comments on this thread I now believe there is at least a perceived hierarchy.
As it stands it's to late to reverse my decision for this year. Darn I could hve bought 3/4 tank of Diesel for our truck. Unless this year proves me wrong I think I've had enough already. -----Pieman
There is much more to the club than how it is run. At first I had a heck of a time as a first timer at the International 04 in Lansing. (Where we traded our 2003 Safari for our 2005 Classic btw) Just to make a very long story short, they would not take my rally money when I went to sign up because I was not a member. I was parked and there mind you and I was told it was a buddy rally before I went. Two separate days I tried traveling from the airport to the convention center and I was met with an attitude that could only be described as unbelievable. I gave up and said fine don't take my money. However my story has a very nice twist. My rally neighbor Vern Goodwin from Texas whose father was a past president took me under his wing drove me to the center, dragged out higher ups from the recesses of the center and got me signed up (though that same woman even faced with the reality that I was to be "allowed" to sign in still balked the entire time) and introduced me to unit officers and long standing members. He and his wife were wonderful. There is a lot of confusion and long standing attitudes among the older members put in charge--and they put A LOT of them in charge-maybe 15 people to write, stamp, tape, etc. as you move down the long registration table. Another person in our group had the same problem and he was prepaid, but they could find no record. But once you get with the "regular" people of the club they are warm and interesting. I got a tear in my eye as I drove up and saw a thousand Airstreams shimmering in the sun! The Florida State Rally 05 was my next WBCCI event and I will be going to another rally, perhaps the next International 06.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Interesting…..

Boy, there is a trend here. Far fewer people have stated that they would not renew than I expected. That means that a name change for most people is really not a big deal. Not desired certainly but not a deal breaker as some have described.

What is surprising is that the numbers saying they would renew are doing so because of their local units. And precious few have stated (unless I missed it) that they are renewing because of WBCCI. In fact there are actually more stating they would renew to be a part of VAC.

Interesting…..
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I'm not surprised at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
In fact there are actually more stating they would renew to be a part of VAC.

Interesting…..
Generally, VAC members are younger and more 'forward-thinking' than alot of the old-timers that are lucky enough to be retired, thus more available as the volunteers that are involved at the International level.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Boy, there is a trend here. Far fewer people have stated that they would not renew than I expected. That means that a name change for most people is really not a big deal. Not desired certainly but not a deal breaker as some have described.

What is surprising is that the numbers saying they would renew are doing so because of their local units. And precious few have stated (unless I missed it) that they are renewing because of WBCCI. In fact there are actually more stating they would renew to be a part of VAC.

Interesting…..
I think that shows that at the local level where people interact with each other and formulate their own planning, it works with involvement and comradery. I think it shows too that at the highest level the overstructuring and connection with individuals breaks down in a sea of regulations and over governing, almost an entity of it's own of officers and agendas. Perhaps that's why the federal government leaves many decisions to the local governments. Does headquarters try to do too much?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:54 AM   #26
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Interesting…..
I cant help but stick my nose in again...... I have to dissagree with the idea that the number planing non-renewal is unimportant. At the moment, of those responding, about 20% consider a name change worth leaving the group over. That sounds like a whole lot if your idea was to increase membership. As I have said previously, I dont have a dawg in this fight, but from the outside looking in reading all the post about the club, it might be time to rethink alot of things at WBCCI.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:

Interesting…..
Buttercup,

Why are you suprised, a Tip O'Neill said "all politics is local"

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I cant help but stick my nose in again...... I have to dissagree with the idea that the number planing non-renewal is unimportant. At the moment, of those responding, about 20% consider a name change worth leaving the group over. That sounds like a whole lot if your idea was to increase membership. As I have said previously, I dont have a dawg in this fight, but from the outside looking in reading all the post about the club, it might be time to rethink alot of things at WBCCI.
Yes, but the stated goal of the name change as published in BB was not to retain membership, it was to attract NEW memberships. I am betting that IBT did not think about retention factor. Really, how many new members could be expected by the new name and logo? And as unscientific as this poll is, how many can be expected to throw in the towel?
At what point does the end justify the means?
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 12-21-2005, 10:38 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Buttercup,

Why are you suprised, a Tip O'Neill said "all politics is local"

Bill
Sorry, I was a little young to even care about politics during Tip's time. But he is right in the end...
Old 12-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Pieman, which unit are you in? Is there another unit nearby that might be a little more with-it? Yours sounds pretty, um, how to put this politely, not very exciting? Even our luncheons are more fun than that, and rallys are where the good units really shine.
Colorado West is our unit, The next closest is in Albuquerue NM some 180 miles from us. We were not looking for excitement perse, but were expecting something Airstream related.Hooooooo Hummmmmmm---Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:00 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
What's in an Airstream name?

The Vintage Airstream Club has no problem attracting new members because our intraclub name clearly states and advertises our purpose. We do not have to follow up our name with an explanation of what we are about when advertising our Rallies or making event reservations, for example.

I suspect the "Vintage Wally Byam Caravan Club International" would have a more difficult time attracting as new members people who had a fondness for vintage Airstream trailers. An explanation of our purpose would seem to be required after stating our name and seeing a What?? expression on a large number of faces.

If "Vintage Airstream Club" is OK for us backward looking folk, what's wrong with "The Airstream Owner's Club" or "The Airstream Club" for the far larger number of forward looking folk?

I'll end with this puzzle: why isn't anyone carping about the VAC name and agitating to change it to the more reverential "Vintage Wally Byam Caravan Intraclub?" How about it 65GT? Which vintage club name do you like best? Do you have a better name idea for our intraclub?
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:13 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Colorado West is our unit, The next closest is in Albuquerue NM some 180 miles from us. We were not looking for excitement perse, but were expecting something Airstream related.Hooooooo Hummmmmmm---Pieman
The Denver Colorado Unit has rallies planned all over the state, you're welcome to join us anytime!

Here's the schedule for 2006

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:18 AM   #33

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think one thing a lot of new members don't understand is that it doesn't really matter which unit you join, you are welcome to attend rallys with any unit if you happen to be in the area. You don't even have to join your local unit. We joined the Oregon Unit even though we live in WA. But we've attended rallys with both units (and been made to feel welcome).

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
The Vintage Airstream Club has no problem attracting new members because our intraclub name clearly states and advertises our purpose. We do not have to follow up our name with an explanation of what we are about when advertising our Rallies or making event reservations, for example.

I suspect the "Vintage Wally Byam Caravan Club International" would have a more difficult time attracting as new members people who had a fondness for vintage Airstream trailers. An explanation of our purpose would seem to be required after stating our name and seeing a What?? expression on a large number of faces.

If "Vintage Airstream Club" is OK for us backward looking folk, what's wrong with "The Airstream Owner's Club" or "The Airstream Club" for the far larger number of forward looking folk?

I'll end with this puzzle: why isn't anyone carping about the VAC name and agitating to change it to the more reverential "Vintage Wally Byam Caravan Intraclub?" How about it 65GT? Which vintage club name do you like best? Do you have a better name idea for our intraclub?
Fred,

I can only speak anecdotally for my self (and my wife) but we didn’t join VAC because they had an easy name to remember, we joined because we heard so many good things about the VAC and the members there. We joined the WBCCI for only 3 reasons, to be part of a local unit, to get our numbers for our trailer restored (because we love the numbers) and to be part of the VAC. That’s all. When we looked at what the WBCCI offered and what they did, only those three things were of any value to us.

I have the strong impression that the VAC is exactly the type of AS club that we want to be involved in, despite the fact we have never been to a VAC rally (yet). And it has nothing to do with the name. You guys look like you have your act together and that you know who your membership base is. That is so important.

BTW, Keep up the good work…
Old 12-21-2005, 02:08 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

WBCCI Renewal

To me, a name change wouldn't change the way I feel about our unit. I wish I could say the same about my membership in the VAC. For the past year, for our twenty dollars, we have received one magazine and not another thing. We are so disappointed. Maybe we expected too much.

Lee Pace
WBCCI 7287
69 Overlander
72 Tradewind
Greenville, Texas
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:07 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I would be disappointed in the name change for sure. I get a kick out of all the questions about what it is.

We have been Lions for many years and sometimes it is frustrating how the longer term members see things. It is not a change in name that will swing a change in attiudes....

But one thing that is for certain, I would never give up the many friends I have made this past year for a mere name change!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:49 PM   #37
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Who cares?

I don't really care what the club name is, but, given a choice, I would prefer a name that includes the name "Airstream", I concur with getting rid of the word "International" and "Incorporated" is superfluous.

In four years with the club, I have seldom uttered the club name and it appears nowhere on my trailer. In the few cases that I have told someone the club name, it has, by necessity, been accompanied by an explanation that it is the Airstream owner's club. Why not call it that?

As the webmaster for Region 9, the name appears in the banner that I inherited that is at the top of the pages and a half-dozen other places. I produced the pages, but I had to look for the name. It must really be critical! A name change will take me a just few minutes to implement and will promptly be forgotten.

Our unit voted, with a single NO, to include Airstream in the club name. The NO was based on possible cost; not anything to do with keeping Wally's name or face. At last winter's mid-winter IBT meeting, Larry Huttle from he Airstream company strongly endorsed using Airstream in the club name.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:02 PM   #38
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
I would renew

As has been pointed out the problems with the WBCCI is not the name it is the percived attituide. As one of the youngest past presidents I would remain a member for the same reason I became a member. The people and the vast amount of knowelege they have and are more than willing to share.

Owning an Airstream had been a long time dream and now that I have one I want to get as much out of it as possible. The membership of the WBCCI helps me do this as this forum helps as well.

Memebership in either is what yu make it. I am sure that some belive that this forum is a waste of time and effort, and it could be better run and made more useful. The same is true for the WBCCI, I think that it is what you make of it.
ITOWAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:04 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITOWAIR
I am sure that some belive that this forum is a waste of time and effort, and it could be better run and made more useful.
Says who!?! I wanna talk to them...
Old 12-22-2005, 08:16 PM   #40
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
It's not the name, it's the membership

Six months after we started our life together (30 years ago), Karen and I rented a motorhome and in a day a half, we were in Canada, and have been living with RV-itis ever since!

A year later, a SOB joined our family, only to make way for an Argosy Minuet in 1978. Twenty-three years later, we moved up to a 29’ Excella. Shortly before we made the deal on the Excella, I called the wife of the Oregon Unit President to tell her we were going to buy an Airstream soon, and wanted to join up. Two days later the application arrived in the mail, and within 24 hours, we were proud Airstream owners.

What you put into your membership determines what you get out of it.
We work hard, and play hard too. I operate a voice and data communications company, while Karen owns a residential and commercial lighting supply business. I produce an annual home and garden show, manage rental properties...and at the other end of the spectrum...am president of a cemetery association. Last winter, Karen and I spent two weeks helping produce the US National Figure Skating Championships. All of these things keep us busy...but we invest in them and we like what we get back.

For us, we have several good years of working ahead of us. But we want to be involved in the fun/fellowship/knowledge-base/etc., etc. that started 50 years ago. I want to be involved in the International in Salem next summer; I want to learn about organizing caravans, etc.

We have met some great people through rallies and at the Washington Unit Land Yacht Harbor. I had a blast helping with the Forums/Oregon Unit rally a couple of months ago, even though it was only a few miles from our home.

We don’t operate our businesses the same way we did a quarter of a century ago, nor should we expect that associations should operate the same way. I love to follow ‘tradition’ and ‘decorum’ but things will change. I believe they should change from within, with members collecting their drive, desires and goals...and given the opportunity to rollup their sleeves and put forth their plans.

I believe this concept is welcome in the Oregon Unit, and is probably present in many units throughout the organization. It just needs nurturing, and like cream, it can ‘rise to the top.’

I'm paid up for 2006, and I’ll be watching for my renewal reminder for ‘07!
OreExcella is offline   Reply With Quote