View Poll Results: If the WBCCI changes it’s Logo and Identity, will you renew your membership?
Yes, I would renew with the new club. 58 73.42%
No, I would not renew my membership in the WBCCI. 9 11.39%
I am undecided. 12 15.19%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2005, 09:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
I'm impressed but I must say... Of all the people I could imagine, I would have thought that the VAC Historian would have been first in line to say NO to a name change. I'm picturing you'd want to preserve everything as is, as it was. Pretty unflappable I guess... __
65GT: I'm an intraclub Historian, not a Luddite. I like my leisure time machinery operable and well oiled, not pickled.

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I feel a bumper sticker coming on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
"what would Wally do?"
WWWD

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:35 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
What Would Wally Do?

Janet, we've GOT to make T-shirts up now! That is too funny!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I want to buy one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
What Would Wally Do?

Janet, we've GOT to make T-shirts up now! That is too funny!
Who has the graphic covered, hmmmmm?

photography
Old 12-20-2005, 11:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Mike ~

Sorry to hear your regret at joining without ever even particpating based on a few jaded (or mis-informed) posts here on the forums. I Hope you will take your year to get involved and meet some of the local members of the WBCCI before you throw the baby out with the bathwater ~

Shari
Shari--------------
Actually I have particpated somewhat. We went to two luncheons, once as a guess and then joined at the second. The 2nd is when I was asked who was my sponsor. We drove 100 miles round trip to one and 125 to the second which we waited for one member 1/2 hr and when they arrived they called another to remind them of the luncheon followed by another 1/2hr wait. The discussion at the 2nd was about the latest hunting trips different ones had been on. I thought this was so strange that they would have on their OFFICAL vest and all those little pins, offical name tags and not mention WBCCI or Airstreams in general. It wasn't until I asked if they were going caravan, { that's what the name implies },to the Winter Fiesta meeting in Anthony Texas that WBCCI was mentioned. Then I find out that those who are going are going to drive their cars and stay in a motel. I hardly knew how to respond to that!! Based on my expearenced and what I've read I've begun to think that a big part of this organization is just Posing. Based on my experiences thus far, is the reason I've begun to think I made a mistake.------------------Pieman
Old 12-20-2005, 11:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Aside from some professional organizations related to my work, I haven't been a member of anything resembling a club since I was in the Boy Scouts. We have been members of WBCCI for less than a year, and have only been to one unit rally where we met some absolutely fascinating people, young and old, with whom we share a common interest. We will renew.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:23 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Pieman, which unit are you in? Is there another unit nearby that might be a little more with-it? Yours sounds pretty, um, how to put this politely, not very exciting? Even our luncheons are more fun than that, and rallys are where the good units really shine.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
try a rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
We signed on Dec12/05. We're so new we haven't recieved our packet yet and already I'm wondering "why in the world did I do such a thing"?. I first became suspicious when our unit treasure asked who sponsored us. I begun to wonder if this is some kind of society that required some connection with those on the Inside to approve our membership. I'm sure glad I passed whatever test I was being judged on. After reading many of the members comments on this thread I now believe there is at least a perceived hierarchy.
As it stands it's to late to reverse my decision for this year. Darn I could hve bought 3/4 tank of Diesel for our truck. Unless this year proves me wrong I think I've had enough already. -----Pieman
There is much more to the club than how it is run. At first I had a heck of a time as a first timer at the International 04 in Lansing. (Where we traded our 2003 Safari for our 2005 Classic btw) Just to make a very long story short, they would not take my rally money when I went to sign up because I was not a member. I was parked and there mind you and I was told it was a buddy rally before I went. Two separate days I tried traveling from the airport to the convention center and I was met with an attitude that could only be described as unbelievable. I gave up and said fine don't take my money. However my story has a very nice twist. My rally neighbor Vern Goodwin from Texas whose father was a past president took me under his wing drove me to the center, dragged out higher ups from the recesses of the center and got me signed up (though that same woman even faced with the reality that I was to be "allowed" to sign in still balked the entire time) and introduced me to unit officers and long standing members. He and his wife were wonderful. There is a lot of confusion and long standing attitudes among the older members put in charge--and they put A LOT of them in charge-maybe 15 people to write, stamp, tape, etc. as you move down the long registration table. Another person in our group had the same problem and he was prepaid, but they could find no record. But once you get with the "regular" people of the club they are warm and interesting. I got a tear in my eye as I drove up and saw a thousand Airstreams shimmering in the sun! The Florida State Rally 05 was my next WBCCI event and I will be going to another rally, perhaps the next International 06.

photography
Old 12-21-2005, 10:24 AM   #23
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Interesting…..

Boy, there is a trend here. Far fewer people have stated that they would not renew than I expected. That means that a name change for most people is really not a big deal. Not desired certainly but not a deal breaker as some have described.

What is surprising is that the numbers saying they would renew are doing so because of their local units. And precious few have stated (unless I missed it) that they are renewing because of WBCCI. In fact there are actually more stating they would renew to be a part of VAC.

Interesting…..
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I'm not surprised at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
In fact there are actually more stating they would renew to be a part of VAC.

Interesting…..
Generally, VAC members are younger and more 'forward-thinking' than alot of the old-timers that are lucky enough to be retired, thus more available as the volunteers that are involved at the International level.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Boy, there is a trend here. Far fewer people have stated that they would not renew than I expected. That means that a name change for most people is really not a big deal. Not desired certainly but not a deal breaker as some have described.

What is surprising is that the numbers saying they would renew are doing so because of their local units. And precious few have stated (unless I missed it) that they are renewing because of WBCCI. In fact there are actually more stating they would renew to be a part of VAC.

Interesting…..
I think that shows that at the local level where people interact with each other and formulate their own planning, it works with involvement and comradery. I think it shows too that at the highest level the overstructuring and connection with individuals breaks down in a sea of regulations and over governing, almost an entity of it's own of officers and agendas. Perhaps that's why the federal government leaves many decisions to the local governments. Does headquarters try to do too much?

photography
Old 12-21-2005, 10:54 AM   #26
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Interesting…..
I cant help but stick my nose in again...... I have to dissagree with the idea that the number planing non-renewal is unimportant. At the moment, of those responding, about 20% consider a name change worth leaving the group over. That sounds like a whole lot if your idea was to increase membership. As I have said previously, I dont have a dawg in this fight, but from the outside looking in reading all the post about the club, it might be time to rethink alot of things at WBCCI.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:

Interesting…..
Buttercup,

Why are you suprised, a Tip O'Neill said "all politics is local"

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #28
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I cant help but stick my nose in again...... I have to dissagree with the idea that the number planing non-renewal is unimportant. At the moment, of those responding, about 20% consider a name change worth leaving the group over. That sounds like a whole lot if your idea was to increase membership. As I have said previously, I dont have a dawg in this fight, but from the outside looking in reading all the post about the club, it might be time to rethink alot of things at WBCCI.
Yes, but the stated goal of the name change as published in BB was not to retain membership, it was to attract NEW memberships. I am betting that IBT did not think about retention factor. Really, how many new members could be expected by the new name and logo? And as unscientific as this poll is, how many can be expected to throw in the towel?
At what point does the end justify the means?

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote