Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
WOMAN OF THE FUTURE

1978 28' Argosy 28
Chicago , Illinois
Professional Web Designers, Developers, Photographers, & Filmmakers

How many of us are out there on the road (in an Airstream)?

SHOW ME YR TWEETS (I'm @natlhq)
Old 09-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I'm an indie filmmaker, but I don't tweet.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
1337stream

2007 27' International CCD FB
Manhattan , Kansas
@worksology here.

I'm a web developer/designer and my wife, @JessaWorks, is a graphic designer-cum-stay-at-home-mom. We're prepping to go full-time in our 27' International, just as soon as we get this darned house sold.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
WOMAN OF THE FUTURE

1978 28' Argosy 28
Chicago , Illinois
@worksology awesome, nice to meet you (and the lady)!

i was in the same boat, but my pickle was selling a car, not a house. luckily, a friend of mine came through and it's a done deal. hope to be on the road by october.

keep in touch.

oh PS watch out with those commercial linx. i was flagged for posting one to a shopify I had set up for the express purpose of selling everything I own to be able to squeeze into our 28footer.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Web Manager in an AS

I am a web manager for the U.S. Forest Service and will be traveling from lake to lake for them in 4 weeks...full-timing...
mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Longview , Texas
I'm not tweetin' -- yet. Not full-timin' either -- yet. I'm a developer designing educational software (online / mobile apps). Company headquarters in Houston but never lived there - always worked remotely and love it. Getting married in a few weeks and taking our maiden voyage from Texas to Virginia. We have some land there that we're wanting to build a pad on so we can escape the TX heat in the summer. Might one day end up full-timing if the job holds on.
boo_n_sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
WOMAN OF THE FUTURE

1978 28' Argosy 28
Chicago , Illinois
this is awesome - thanks everyone for posting! keep it comin!

forgot to add - would love to hear more details from everyone. such as:
• programming languages
• cameras/lenses/mods
• production software
• etc.
@boo_n_sue: are you working in Flash/AIR, Java, PHP, Ruby...?

@mopariac: do you mean to say you are a webmaster or an IT/networks admin?

@davepark: can I watch some of your work anywhere online?

reason I ask is because I am always looking to connect with creatives for new projects, would love to cross paths on the road.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Longview , Texas
Angeline,

We work with lots of different stuff. Our online lessons (math software) are developed in Flash and our website is primarily PHP/MySQL. We've just recently started developing and publishing iPhone apps (C#) and are also working on Android apps (JAVA).

Before I got in to programming I was trying to be a rockstar but my bands never quite made it. I still play guitar but mostly in the office when I'm stuck or bored. I've settled for just going to concerts and taking pictures. Maybe one day I can be a professional photographer. I don't have good equipment but I make it work. You can see some of my concert photography here and some of my other photos that I plan to use in a portfolio someday.

In addition to my full-time gig developing software, I work with a group of independent film producers/directors/photographers/set designers etc. in Dallas. We're always looking for projects to collaborate on. You can see some of our work here.

I'm starting to work on a site similar to the one you're doing that will chronicle the work we've done and also our travels but we've been so busy working on the remodeling that I haven't had time to put much together yet. I have tons of pictures and video of the full project that's spanned about 9 months now. One of these days....
Old 09-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeline View Post

@mopariac: do you mean to say you are a webmaster or an IT/networks admin?
Angeline...I am a webmaster and photographer
mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
1337stream

2007 27' International CCD FB
Manhattan , Kansas
@natlhq — It's very nice to meet you; thanks for starting this thread! The wifey & I really enjoyed looking at your sites last night; you are very talented!

So I've been doing web design/dev for nearly 12 years now, since I was a high schooler. HTML/CSS/JS is easily a second language by now, and so I've spent the past few years trying to master more & more of the web stack. I'm now a Django developer (Python-based web framework), server/database admin, user interface designer, and armchair design critic.

I've worked for K-State since graduating there 6 years ago, have developed dozens of websites & web applications, including designing K-State's own Learning Management System. I'm ready for a change of pace and more autonomy, so the plan is to spend the next year or so on the road working on various personal projects — ideas I've had for web applications, but not the time — and to have complete creative control, no fixed deadline/scope, and the chance to pour myself completely into a concept.

I shoot with a Leica D-Lux 4, but it's my plan to upgrade to the 5D Mark III whenever it's released next year. My Flickr & Vimeo accounts are currently being neglected, but have been overwhelmingly occupied by my now 2-year-old son, @JackWorks. I suspect that'll change once we're on the road.

Like boo_n_sue, we're also working on a site (and Twitter account) dedicated to our Airstream upgrades, renovations, planning, and forthcoming travel. More on that soon, with any luck.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Longview , Texas
Josh,

I worked at Virginia Tech in a research lab developing multimedia apps for the university as well as govt clients. Spent a lot of time in DC developing websites for the Dept of Energy through our lab at VT. I wish I could take off on and work on my own projects for a while. You and your wife are lucky! Good luck with your projects. Are you up for any consultation or contract work? I'm the Technical Director for my company and we work with various contractors on small projects. Let me know. Feel free to send a private message if you want to share contact info. That goes for anyone else on this thread - Angeline Nice to meet fellow creatives roaming around in their AS!!
Old 09-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Photographer, not much on the road, for now, hope to be back asap.
Main camera in use, Holga.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
Josh,

Hey there. My wife and I run The Logical Alternative. We have a few IT infrastructure clients in the Tampa Bay, FL area for whom we admin and support their Windows client/server architecture via remote access with some help from a hands on partner.

However mostly we provide web application development and design services. We also provide hosting and managed services for a couple of racks of servers in data centers located in Florida, and here in Seattle as well as a couple of dozen at Rackspace and Slicehost facilities. The servers run a mixed lot of OSs, mostly Ubuntu Linux and Windows.

Software development environments include .NET/MS SQL and the preferred LAMP stack. I also do Flex/Air development.

Lately I find myself mostly providing technical design and project lead services. Developing system architecture, setting up configuring and managing hardware, OS and server environments, and then authoring tech specs. Too many of my clients have made the bad business decision (IMHO) to outsource coding. So instead they end up paying more for me to manage unskilled developers. But that's another story.

My wife Melissa is very talented graphic designer and we work together on many projects.

You can check out some of our older projects (the website needs an update) at our on-line portfolio on Logical Alternative, Inc. > Home

Best,

Dave
EvelynDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #14
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
I'm a professional webdeveloper/programmer in the retail/ecom world. Currently it's mostly server-side javascript within Demandware, but in my past life I was a consultant...which means that I had to know everything and be good at nothing (Java, PHP, Perl, C/C++, RPG, etc).

Trying to figure out how to do this pseudo-fulltime on the road with my laptop connection, a google number and a prayer...and get from point a to point b without my co-workers in midtown figuring out what I'm up to....

Quote:
I'm an indie filmmaker, but I don't tweet.
Dave....I didn't know you were a indie filmmaker! Is the Austin area still a hot bed? I used to edit/post production and still have friends in the biz in the DFW area, but I haven't done anything in years and years.

Quote:
I'm a web developer/designer and my wife, @JessaWorks, is a graphic designer-cum-stay-at-home-mom. We're prepping to go full-time in our 27' International, just as soon as we get this darned house sold.
I totally know how you feel -- my wife and I bought and kinda restored a historic bungalow in Fort Worth...then I got a job in midtown and we moved to NY right before the housing market collapsed....house sat vacant for 8 months before we sold it!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I am an airbrush artist, we are just getting to the point of traveling and doing 'something' that turns heads, using the Airstream as a visual draw. Still figuring out what to do best with little overhead/materials. But I do a LOT of different airbrush styles and do a little teaching. Lauren Billings (an airstreamer on here) built me a website. I will write her and tell her about this thread.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Somewhere , Mostly California
Hi all,
Great to see so many professional media people here. I hope to meet some of you on the road some day.

I am a professional photographer, along with my husband. We have 2 photography companies: a wedding and portrait company and a commercial photography company. Our plan is to sell our house too - goes on the market in January 2011 - and then take off in our new 2010 International Serenity 28 as full-timers. We're pretty excited about the untethered life and can't wait. We have an Airstream book project we'll be doing on the road, so stay tuned!
Wendy
Wendy Woods Photography
Picturesofbuildingsandpeople.com - People, Places, Product Photography
wendywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Glad to find this thread! I'm relatively new to these forums, though I've been lurking for a long time. As a graphic designer, I sort of became obsessed with the Christopher Deam redesigns ( back irn 95?) and dreamt about having my own ever since. We just bought an '08 Sig Series 27FB and will be going full-time in a few months.

I'm a graphic designer and web developer. I've been designing and art directing for print for over ten years and first got into web design about five years ago, and from there into web development. I've been freelancing for a little over two years now and, as the bulk of my projects are web, have been finding that I actually enjoy the development side a bit more than the design, though I like having the right-left brain balance of both.

In terms of technologies, I mostly work in XHTML 1 Strict (am just building up the guts to start in with HTML5), CSS2/3, PHP and jQuery. I also do a lot of projects in Drupal and Wordpress. I do NO Flash (aside from little movies or slideshows, though those can normally be handled with jQuery). Aside from my issues with it in terms of SEO and accessibility, I just find it frustrating to work with.

My business is Studio Aluminum. I haven't updated in a while. But my business name has everything to do with the fact that I've always planned to work out of an Airstream!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Thought I'd revive an old thread. I'm a photographer and toying with the idea of buying an Airstream and going mobile, at least part of the year. Would love to hear from other photographers, etc their thoughts on what (if any) modifications they made to their Airstream to make it more suitable for their work. Picts would be great.

--Darin
darinb is offline   Reply With Quote