Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Decherd , Tennessee
Paper or Plastic?

I saw the thread on wine glasses so I thought I'd throw this one out there:

What do you use for the kitchen plates, paper or plastic or something else? How about glassware? Plastic, glass or other? We need to set up the kitchen and were just curious what people preferred.

nazz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi nazz300

here is a thread with some info you may find useful.....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...chen-5410.html

how are ya liking that safari?.....it is a good looking trailer.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
plastic or paper

Paper plates are fine for sandwiches, but real plates are preferable for breakfast and dinner. And, of course, you have to have the pokers for roasted marshmallows!

I use the anti-slide weaved stuff that you put in cabinets between the plates to keep them from breaking during travel. It has worked well so far.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Paper is good, corelle is good, and when boondocking...

We like to get back to nature--5 second rule, who needs a 5 second rule?
Seriously, whatever works for the person washing the dishes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pizza7.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	19384  
Old 03-15-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
They make reusable plates?
I have a thrifty aunt who wipes her paper plates clean then nukes them in the microwave. A penny saved......
Personally I toss all used goblets in the fireplace as might be expected from we millionaire Airstreamers.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I'm a bit of a green freak & don't like wasting paper, so I use plastic. I have a nice collection of "Teletubby" dishes I've collected here and there and used to use in my old Volkswagen Westfalia. I think they'll do quite nicely in my Airstream and will look really nice with my pink flamingo ornaments.

What I'd like to do is be able to use ceramic dishes and the ones that would be ideal, in my mind, would be Fiestware!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Now there's a lady who lived through the Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
They make reusable plates?
I have a thrifty aunt who wipes her paper plates clean then nukes them in the microwave. A penny saved......
Grandma used to wash the saran cling wrap and dry it out for reuse--talk about the original recyclers--these folks who lived through the Depression really know/knew how to stretch a penny. Good for your aunt! Makes me miss grandma hearing that story.
Like grandma, I'll bet she has squirreled away a lot of $ that way. You know some people think its nuts to be thrifty, our motto is nuts are food but then we're really down to earth you know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pizza5.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	19388  
Old 03-15-2006, 02:57 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
We take along both paper and plastic plates, and plastic and Aluminum tumblers. Some things are okay for the throw away while some are better to use a good solid plate and tumbler.
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Mom stories.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
Grandma used to wash the saran cling wrap and dry it out for reuse--talk about the original recyclers--these folks who lived through the Depression really know/knew how to stretch a penny. Good for your aunt! Makes me miss grandma hearing that story.
Like grandma, I'll bet she has squirreled away a lot of $ that way. You know some people think its nuts to be thrifty, our motto is nuts are food but then we're really down to earth you know
I'm a baby boomer and my friends and I used to swap "mom grew up during the depression" stories. They'd start like this: "My mom's cheaper than your mom because...
  1. she reuses aluminum foil, saran wrap, wax paper, grocery bags, margarine tubs
  2. mine is too cheap to buy margarine in tubs, she get's the five lb. bulk stuff that you have to put food coloring in yourself.
  3. mine has put a black ring around the tub in crayon. You can't fill the tub higher than the ring (and it's two inches from the bottom) I have to stand on my head to wash my hair.
  4. my mother collects rubber bands. I don't have a baseball, but I have a "band ball"
  5. my mother collects string. I can't bring a kite in the house or it never flies again... She has a ball of string as big as a beach ball and I don't know what she ever intends to do with it.
  6. Well (comes the award winning response) My mother crochets the string into dishcloths while watching TV at night!
And my personal favorite, "My mother can squeeze a nickel until the buffalo sh**s in her hand."

The first time I heard that expression I immediately made two long distance calls to share it with my siblings. We had a "Depends Moment" together over that one.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We use some paper, but mostly use these blue enamal plates.
Attached Images

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Decherd , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi nazz300

how are ya liking that safari?.....it is a good looking trailer.

cheers
2air'
Thanks, we kinda like the Safari package. Actually, haven't used it yet, but we'll be towing her home next week!

First trip will be the GA Spring Fling Rally in April. Looking forward to it!

--Nazz

nazz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
When we bought our 1971 Safari we found some old Melmac dishes, cups, glasses and serving dishes. They were gaudy orange and green colors that were fashionable at the time. We use them all the time, they never break and are a breeze to wash up. Maybe you could find some old Melmac at some local flea markets. Don't drink wine so we never found any Melmac wine glasses.

Larry
Larry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We use paper when water is limited or we want to minimize clean-up. Otherwise we use stonewear. I's heavy but we don't need to carry a lot of dishes. Stoneware has the advantage of going directly into the oven for plate warming and really keeps a meal hot. we have never broken or chipped a dish yet. We used Corelle when the kids were young and in the pop-ups.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Steph and Paula,
Your stories really brought back some great memories. I was raised by my grandparents who lived through the depression. My grandmother would use wax paper to wrap my grandfather's lunch every day. He would bring it home and use it the next day by putting it in his boots to make them slide on easier. (I knew this because it was my job to remove those boots every night, and place them by his chair. He paid me a nickle a day.) I would then give the wax paper to my grandmother who would use it to light the kindling in the wood cook stove every day at 5:00 AM.

In answer to the question, we use mostly paper, unless it's a formal camping affair, when my wife breaks out the plastic flamingo dinnerware.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Wink Paper? Plastic?

Well I guess since were among friends. Ok paper. But if anyones watching we break out the stone wear, white tablecloth, and the good glasses. Ya know, we have to at least appearer to be millionaires.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
If you ever think you might find yourself without hot water but needing to wash dishes or wash you hair in a stream, you might try Camp Suds. When we tent camped without amenities except running stream water, this came in handy. It does a great job cleaning in COLD water.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry71
When we bought our 1971 Safari we found some old Melmac dishes, cups, glasses and serving dishes. They were gaudy orange and green colors that were fashionable at the time. We use them all the time, they never break and are a breeze to wash up. Maybe you could find some old Melmac at some local flea markets. Don't drink wine so we never found any Melmac wine glasses.

Larry
Wow-thanks for posting that...I remember my great grandmothers Melmac dishes and bowls-nice mint green color. I loved those things!

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:31 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We have a set of plasticware, as well as paper and foam plates, depending on what we are eating, and whether we are having guests.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:53 PM   #19
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Yesteryear

My grandmother lived through the great depression of the 30's. She hoarded bacon grease like Scrooge McDuck hoards money. We never left grandma's house hungry but maybe with a little extra cholesterol
I totally understand the modern day diet concerns but the meals prepared by Grams with her bacon grease were delicious. I can't believe it's not butter? Bah, . gimme butter.
The vintage Airstreams are a visit to yesteryear when things were simple and life was good. Those green beans cooked in bacon grease were an absolute delight.
Thanks to modern science, we now live in a health-conscience society but isn't it great to occasionally enjoy a big Mac and fries? Totally delicious but sinful! You have the added benefit of sueing them if your kids get fat.
Do today's teens have any understanding of hardship? Do they know that sugar and panty hose were rationed in the 30's? Look around you at the overweight people you encounter everywhere. Most are overweight due to over indulgence rather than family dinner planning.
I am a victim of bacon grease indulgence but it's part of who I am and I shudder at the thought of a world with no bacon grease. Thanks, grams. RIP.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:20 PM   #20
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
I went with the vintage tupperware that I found on Ebay Plates & Cups.
For the price that they get for tupperware I could have bought some nice stoneware, Ohwell vintage trailer and vintage tupperware just seemed fitting. I even got one of those neat orange skin peelers with the cups never use it but I can say along with the tons of other people that have one, I also have one now.