Old 03-15-2006, 07:29 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Wink Paper? Plastic?

Well I guess since were among friends. Ok paper. But if anyones watching we break out the stone wear, white tablecloth, and the good glasses. Ya know, we have to at least appearer to be millionaires.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:06 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
If you ever think you might find yourself without hot water but needing to wash dishes or wash you hair in a stream, you might try Camp Suds. When we tent camped without amenities except running stream water, this came in handy. It does a great job cleaning in COLD water.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:23 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry71
When we bought our 1971 Safari we found some old Melmac dishes, cups, glasses and serving dishes. They were gaudy orange and green colors that were fashionable at the time. We use them all the time, they never break and are a breeze to wash up. Maybe you could find some old Melmac at some local flea markets. Don't drink wine so we never found any Melmac wine glasses.

Larry
Wow-thanks for posting that...I remember my great grandmothers Melmac dishes and bowls-nice mint green color. I loved those things!

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:31 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We have a set of plasticware, as well as paper and foam plates, depending on what we are eating, and whether we are having guests.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:53 PM   #19
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Yesteryear

My grandmother lived through the great depression of the 30's. She hoarded bacon grease like Scrooge McDuck hoards money. We never left grandma's house hungry but maybe with a little extra cholesterol
I totally understand the modern day diet concerns but the meals prepared by Grams with her bacon grease were delicious. I can't believe it's not butter? Bah, . gimme butter.
The vintage Airstreams are a visit to yesteryear when things were simple and life was good. Those green beans cooked in bacon grease were an absolute delight.
Thanks to modern science, we now live in a health-conscience society but isn't it great to occasionally enjoy a big Mac and fries? Totally delicious but sinful! You have the added benefit of sueing them if your kids get fat.
Do today's teens have any understanding of hardship? Do they know that sugar and panty hose were rationed in the 30's? Look around you at the overweight people you encounter everywhere. Most are overweight due to over indulgence rather than family dinner planning.
I am a victim of bacon grease indulgence but it's part of who I am and I shudder at the thought of a world with no bacon grease. Thanks, grams. RIP.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #20
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
I went with the vintage tupperware that I found on Ebay Plates & Cups.
For the price that they get for tupperware I could have bought some nice stoneware, Ohwell vintage trailer and vintage tupperware just seemed fitting. I even got one of those neat orange skin peelers with the cups never use it but I can say along with the tons of other people that have one, I also have one now.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:06 AM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry71
When we bought our 1971 Safari we found some old Melmac dishes, cups, glasses and serving dishes.
Larry
Melmac? Isn't that where Alf is from?
Old 03-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #22
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We used to stick strictly to paper ... but then my wife was down in a second-hand store in Taos when the property person for the film Off the Map (filmed near Taos) came in with silverware and plates. Cool, vintage-looking stuff! Now it's in our Airstream ...

Lynn
Old 03-16-2006, 08:48 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Melmac...

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	melamine.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	19434  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Corelle

I bought a set of Corelle, white with a blue stripe to coordinate with the blue streak CCD decor, and some disposable plastic plates. I use the Corelle more than the plastic and don't plan to replace the disposables once they run out, except for parties where you need more than 4 place settings.

I always use real silverware (stainless), because even the best plastic stuff is mediocre.

Now, If you really want to be "green" you can buy your frozen foods in the boiling/microwave bags, get a good oven mitt, and when the food is hot, use scissors to take the top off the bag and holding the bag in the oven mitt, use a fork or spoon to eat directly from the bag.....

Tin Lizzie
Old 03-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I had forgotten all about boil in bags. Great idea. Have to put that on my list, that and the brown in bags. I still have my Seal-a-Meal! (see, I am vintage!)Used to cook in large quantities then package in individual serving sizes. One pot of hot water and everyone could choose a different entree. Gee wish I had thought of that before, many dish washings ago! The homemade meals freeze and stack in a fraction of the space frozen meals and their boxes do. When space is tight we toss the boxes in the AS anyway.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hubby came home today saying Corelle has a new square pattern. This is named stoneware so I don't know if this is actually stoneware or looks like stonewear but isn't this a great pattern for the CCD blue streak? It comes in lots of colors and white as well. All twotone. Found with a google search of Square Corelle and this was up at Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0007XXS0E.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	19452  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote