Old 05-31-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
Ottawa ON owners- any BYLAW As parking issues

hello

we have had our AS 22 FB for one month. Sure enough , some annoying, busy buddy with too much free time on their hands neighbor complained to the city .

they found some obscure bylaw staking no trailer , camper or boat longer than 6M /20 feet can be parked on your own driveway.

anyone else in Ottawa affected by this?

or

anyone else in any other city hit be similar bylaw rules

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:44 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Orleans , Ontario

Hi, sent you a PM, yes affects us all, though most people don't mind a trailer for a day or two if getting ready for a trip. Some have neighbours who don't mind a trailer parked for weeks, others do.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:12 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Orleans , Ontario

PM re storage
Old 06-01-2017, 05:50 AM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Tons of cities, towns, HOA gated communities have these bylaws in place. I would have thought you would have checked that out before purchasing, as you live in the city or suburbs of Ottawa.

The only way out of this is to find out if you can construct an out building on your property that can house the trailer; if not, you have two options, buy a 20' or move the trailer out of town as you're not going to win this fight.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:02 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Oxford Mills , Ontario
As pretty as an AS looks anywhere......Imagine all the SOB's all over town if it were allowed
Crazycanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
bylaw Lady came by, measured it as 21' . city limit is 20'

we will fight the petty rule.

don't they have bigger issue, i.e spring time flooding, pot holes etc
Old 06-01-2017, 06:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I think most communities have some similar bylaws. Here in Burlington Ontario they certainly do.

Firstly, on our city streets we have a 3hr parking limit for any vehicles - applies anywhere including all residential streets - and they enforce in quite rigorously!

You can apply on line for a parking exemption though - 15 days a year per license plate.

That is reasonable and allows for visitors that cannot be accommodated in your drive way or, in our case, to be able the bring the trailer home to pack and leave the following morning, so it is fair I think. Keeps our streets looking nice and uncluttered.

There are also bylaws about parking RV's in your driveway - generally speaking you can do so in summer months as long as they are within certain size limits - if larger, they must not extend beyond the front of the house.

I did talk to a bylaw officer a while back when I were considering getting a B class motorhome, and I learned two things from him ......

(1) He said "off the record" that they do not enforce any of the RV parking bylaws (off street) unless they get a complaint and then they must enforce the regulations.

(2) When I asked if a B class camping van would be considered an RV from the standpoint of the regs, he said it would depend on the vehicle registration - is it registered as a van or an RV. At the time I contacted Roadtrek and they told me their vehicles were registered as vans so I guess that would have been ok even if someone complained!

I never did pursue it anyway as I couldn't convince my Mrs that we should change or Classic 30 for a B class !
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Those sort of rules are pretty common. How they get enforced is *very* random, no matter where you are. Down here, outdoor storage in a fenced in / secure lot runs $25 a month. If I go indoors and out of the weather, it goes up to $100 a month. It's a half hour drive to the storage lot, but that's the way it works.

I'm not quite sure what I'll do if somebody figures out my TV is over 20' long in the driveway :0

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:27 AM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The Good Sam RV organization used to have an RV packet available regarding fighting ordinances or HOA rules regarding RV parking. You might want to check to see if they still have those available. It might help.

Our HOA prohibits parking RV's on the subdivision streets and driveways. Thankfully while we have rules, enforcement doesn't have much teeth since local law enforcement does not deal with HOA associations and we have no fine structure built in. Legally the HOA can go to court to enforce the indentures but the time it would take probably would take too long and the offenders trailer would be long gone. We have had some who have abused the parking and the HOA has applied pressure to those, but even then I don't think they did more than saber rattling to get those folks to find storage locations.

I do store off site but I've typically keep the Airstream in the drive a week prior to a trip departure and and a week after. I also winterize here in the driveway also. I have good neighbors who all have or have had their own toys, boats, campers etc which all are technically forbidden to be in the driveway or street. We all store them either in the garage or off site and the occasional appearance of their vehicle in the driveways are ignored.

We had one encounter with a trustee who happened to ride by and stopped and talked to my wife. She told him we just got back from a trip and we stored the trailer offsite. He reminded her of the HOA indentures and she told him that we were well aware and that's why we store the trailer offsite. Never heard from him again. We've lived here over 30 years with really no issues. Probably the best reason for no problems is we live on a small cul-de-sac in the subdivision and get little traffic other than from the neighbors on the street, and since I live at the end, we are lucky to maybe get 20 vehicles a day. On the main through streets it would be a lot harder to be unnoticed.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
we measured the 22FB sport trailer this mrining

body 18 feet, including A frame 20 feet.

i guess we meet the by-law rules. we are calling the city today.

BUT

did i get ripped off by AS, we bought a 22 foot sport , but it is only 18 feet long , what gives?
Old 06-01-2017, 07:32 AM   #11

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
we measured the 22FB sport trailer this mrining

body 18 feet, including A frame 20 feet.

i guess we meet the by-law rules. we are calling the city today.

BUT

did i get ripped off by AS, we bought a 22 foot sport , but it is only 18 feet long , what gives?
Measurement is from the nose of the trailer's hitch to the bumper. Airstream's nomenclature regarding the footage is always marketing related. I have a 30' Classic. Actual length is 30' 11". The 31' Classic of the same model year is 30' 11". The difference between the two trailers was the interior layout. Airstream marketed them as a 30' and 31' respectively. Only when you look at the detailed specs for the trailer will you see the actual length. I'm sure the specs for your 22' Sport reflect the shorter length. According to Airstreams detailed specs, the 2017 Sport FB is 21' 8". https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...pecifications/ That's what the enforcement folks will use unless you can prove different. I've measured mine and those detailed specs from Airstream are pretty much right on.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
we measured again. body is 18' with a frame 20'. i will call AS and ask why.
By-law lay will come by aGAIAN. she only wants to confirm body measure, not total frame. if all is good, she will "put it to bed" . we have asked for a letter
Old 06-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
That's good news if they ignore the A frame. I'd be curious what Airstream says about their published length of 21' 8".
AIR #56
Old 06-01-2017, 08:31 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

AS uses the same nomenclature they started out with back in the 1930's. Back then, the length of the entire trailer was the number everybody used. They are the sole survivor of that era so there aren't a lot of others still doing it that way. It is confusing if you shop between brands. Our sales guy pointed out the difference in nomenclature fairly early in the process. AS also seems to change lengths a bit even during a model year. It's unclear if this is fixing goof's in the paperwork or if the frame actually changed length.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote