Old 06-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #15

2011 27 FB International
Greely , Ontario
Hi,
Unfortunately these municipal and HOA bylaws are not rare. Have heard from other AS owners in town who have had this problem. I wish you luck with the city, sounds like you have a good case to get under the limit. For those with longer trailers, only option is a storage facility and a quick drive-by at home to load and unload as required. They are real sticklers in Ottawa.

Good luck,

Norbert

roadtripr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
the city has closed the case. They came and measured our Sport 22FB. The body is 18' long, the A frame up front is 2'. Ball to body end is 20 ' Thus why is it called a 22' trailer,.

did AS rip us off of two feet

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #17
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
So I guess us motorhome guys get more bang for our "feet" buck as my AS 310 is a 31' body and 32' to the end of the bumpers.

As for the OP's decision to measure and fight based on trailer body length, way to go! That's thinking outside the box so to speak.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:08 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

According to the current web based documentation on the Sport 22, it should be 21' 8" from the back of the bumper to the front of the hitch. There also should be a sheet in the paperwork you got that looks like the window sticker on a new car. At the end of the section titled "systems" it shows the actual dimensions on your trailer. In my case, the actual trailer is a bit longer than the web based documentation says.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Read your municipal codes carefully. Some of them also have height restrictions. In the context of the City of Houston street parking ordinance, our rig complies with length restrictions but busts on height.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Waninae glad you won with the city but not sure you did enough research prior to purchase.

As mentioned AS does measure from bumper to ball and the actual enclosure/interiors are much smaller.

You will not win with AS if you call to insist on the other feet you purchased but you will likely give them a good chuckle.

It will come in handy when looking for spots in parks because you can tuck into spots you might not fit into if you were bigger.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
as in many cases in life , it's impossible to know everything. This is especially true when you get into a new field, like we did with trailers. hind sight is 20-20!
Old 06-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #22
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You should be able to park that then?

Dave

[QUOTE= hind sight is 20-20![/QUOTE]
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
YES

the city bylaw officer saw the unit measured it at 18' . she then said. case closed! you have a stupid and unfriendly neighbor.

she will send us a formal letter stating all meets city codes
Old 06-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Morton , Illinois
We live in a small village in Central Illinois. There are RV rules that prevent us from having our 36' Classic at home. We are fortunate to have indoor storage less than a mile from the house, so really no big deal. We also have a city ordinance which prohibits parking in the same spot on the street for over 24 hours. AND we have a vengeful, hateful neighbor. I've explained to our poor police department more than once that it is only out there because of preparing for or cleaning up after a trip. They know it runs and has it's own storage. They also told me they don't enforce the ordinance unless someone calls and complains. All I have to do legally is move it every 24 hours. Last time I asked who called, the officer smirked and said he couldn't reveal their identity. But he did suggest that I park it in front of a specific house when I move it. Love our police department!
Old 06-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Tracktown USA , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Read your municipal codes carefully. Some of them also have height restrictions. In the context of the City of Houston street parking ordinance, our rig complies with length restrictions but busts on height.
I agree with interblog.

While I appreciate your situation, zoning and land use codes are there for many reasons and this is just one of them. They provide consistency and clarity so everyone knows where they stand.

Even though it sounds like the jurisdiction has signed off, I would suggest reading the ordnance so you know exactly what the requirements or limitations are. I’m sure the city (? Local jurisdiction) has the code on-line but it is often hard to sort thru the subparts and citations and I’m sure they have it at hand, often in their vehicles for reference.

Secondly I would suggest you review the CC & R's which were recorded when the land was originally developed/subdivided. You don't need a HOA to have CC & R's. I presume Canada is similar to USA in this respect. There may be restrictions there that someone could attempt to enforce. The City has no jurisdiction nor knowledge re the CC & R’s. That’s a civil manner.

Congrats on the ruling.
bob
CruizinDux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #26

Ottawa , Ont
That's unfortunate. We used to have an Airstream owning neighbor down the street from us, but I think they moved

They're part of the reason we're chasing the Airstream dream!

philrush is offline   Reply With Quote