Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
2023 25' Flying Cloud
North , Texas
Ok Tell me again

Hi everybody , I've been look and shopping, shopping and looking. I know that it will be an unbiased opinion here but tell me again why A/S over a fw.

Rving trips with us usually brings the grand babes (2) with us. Can all of us be comfortable? I know that no trailer is perfect but I see some complaints against newer models. Price is every high. But also resale values. Is maintence the same with sob? Just getting down to making a decision.

The fw I have look at are about half price and slides everywhere. But lack that looks of A/S. And lack resale values.

Also we hope to go to a rally to meet some of you guys and look at your A/S!
Thanks for your replies
Denkim
Denkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Denkim,

As an owner, I know why I am attracted to AS TTs, but you have been looking around here a bit and showing interest in them: can you tell us why YOU are interested?

I mean, bang for the buck, don't you find that there is more of just about everything in an SOB (some other brand)?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome Denkim

I used to ride a BMW motorcycle and go to lots of BMW rallies. BMW owners are different than Honda and Harley owners- Honda and Harley owners have their rallies at a motel. BMW owners have their rallies at a campground. I think the same can be said about Airstream owners versus SOB owners. Airstream owners value the quality and the design that they see in an Airstream and are willing to pay a premium price for it. They know that it will be around long after they are gone. With an Airstream they are made to travel anywhere and long distances are no problem. With the SOB's they will travel, but they really don't like it. That is a start.

Look at lots of them, go to a rally and talk to the owners and look at their trailers and go find your own Airstream and have some fun.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
2023 25' Flying Cloud
North , Texas
Aage

Good questions, although the sob has more "stuff". But I,m still thinking A/S is the best product.

I' ll think more on how to answer you.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Simple. Airstreams are cool.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Simple. Airstreams are cool.

Jim

Agree!
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
My cousin has a FW, but asks if I would consider an exchange annually. I don't know what the attraction is other than ours is always ready to go and apparently needs less maintenance. Both our rigs are over 10 years old now. Maybe its the fact that when we meet up on the road other campers stop by to chat and see our 28' Airstream slideout while his is ignored.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
February 13, 2012, our maiden voyage and 20 days after we purchased our new-to-us AS. I was about 75 miles down the highway, passing a big rig...he acknowledged us with a toot on his horn and a friendly "thumbs up". How many fw drivers got that reception from an over-the-road professional on that day?
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
Well Denkim, you said it in your first post.....resale !!

Bob
Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Is Johnson City to far to go to satisfy your curiosity?

A great way to figure out WHY.

Bob
Old 03-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
You have to have an Airstream to join Airstream caravans, which are the gold standard for camping caravans. And by that I don't mean expensive. National and regional caravans run by the Wally Byam Caravan Club International are just magnificent. After following the Southwest Adventure Caravan and the Southeast Coast Spectacular Caravan, I am absolutely convinced this is the best way to see North America. Spend some time on the WBCCI website poring over the caravan options: WBCCI Caravans.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Airstream owners value the quality and the design that they see in an Airstream and are willing to pay a premium price for it.
Exactly true in my case.

While shopping for my Interstate, I also looked at the Winnebago Era and the Roadtrek Adventurous, both also Sprinter-based, each of which costs about 20% less than an Airstream Interstate. Balancing increased quality versus increased cost, I decided the Airstream was at least 20% better and worth the added price. There wasn't any one thing that stood out, but an accumulation of small touches: heated tanks to extend the camping season (you'd think the Canadian-built Roadtreks would have this, but no); better cabinetry throughout, especially the door latches; a sofa that converts to a bed without using the tabletop as a filler panel; a tabletop that stores on the front of the galley cabinets and not in the back under the sofa; lower road noise while driving; factory solar panel option; full-height wardrobe closet option; better (more ergonomic) layout for the pumpout controls; real insulation all around, including the floor; more elbow room in the wet bath without encroaching on the aisle; all LED interior lights; the list goes on.

The only Airstream Interstate feature I didn't like was that privacy curtain that hangs from the windshield visors and leaves the sun to beat down on the dashboard, and I fixed that with an aftermarket sunshield.

As a late-model Interstate owner, the reaction I usually get is a bit different from most Airstream owners: "Wow! I didn't know Mercedes Benz makes motorhomes!" Then I have to explain, "They don't. Airstream takes an excellent MB Sprinter and makes it better." The Airstream emblems are very discrete and easy to miss at first glance, but the Mercedes emblems front and back are very obvious, so it's an easy misunderstanding. If only Airstream made an embossed circular WBCCI emblem (out of aluminum, of course) that could clip in place over the Mercedes emblem in the grille…
Old 03-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Ain't nobody no where doing the full monty on a 40 year old SOB.

We had a fiver first, and simply got tired of pulling the damn thing. I would open the basement storage and find things the had been in there for years that I had forgotten were even on board.

It is just us two, but we like Airstream.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Ain't nobody no where doing the full monty on a 40 year old SOB.JD
JD - I've never seen it put better.

But I think the old adage that "If you have to ask, you may never understand" may apply.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
2023 25' Flying Cloud
North , Texas
ok ok
thanks for the replies. I've decided to stay the course on A/S. Why? ?I just like the way they look and the quality build. I going to continue my search new or late model used.

As a business owner its hard for us to plan trips on a certain date. This drives my wife crazy. Waiting to the last minute to get away. I would like to just be ready when I can. I think with a A/S I can just hook up and go.

Also I don't like to trade often as I have in the past with sob. If you take in the lost I have trading those a A/S don't look so expensive.

Once again thanks for the replies, there's a rally going on about 30 mi. down the road from us this weekend. I'm going try and breakaway and go. You think they would mind if I just show up?

Aage thanks for the right questions, I think I have answered for myself.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

"Once again thanks for the replies, there's a rally going on about 30 mi. down the road from us this weekend. I'm going try and breakaway and go. You think they would mind if I just show up?"

Are you kidding....Airstream indoctrination is a favorite pastime at any rally.

Bob
Old 03-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
There is no better product made anywhere than the AS. With 65% of all ever made still on the road~what more can be said? SOB's end up in junk yards 12-15 years down the road. AS will holds it value. But, you did the right thing~ you looked at SOB's and then discovered AS, the Rolls Royce of TT's. Good luck, it's a fun adventure. We're looking (only for an AS) as we speak. Have fun, that is the name of the game!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Read the whole thread to find out what a "fw" is. Figured out what an "A/S" is right away.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
It's an aluminum thing.

It is hard to justify buying an Airstream purely on an economic basis. Don't kid yourself - they do depreciate just like any RV. For that matter a $1.5 million Prevost depreciates and fairly rapidly.

Airstreams are different in construction and feel. The interior has a different feel than any other RV (except for Avions no longer made). Airstream owners for the most part are different than SOB owners in that Airstream owers have a passion for Airstreams and Airstream living. We are excited when we see another Airstream in a campground or on the road.

When we lived on the east coast we were into sailboats. The inside of an Airstream has a similar feel. Just like boating, it is either in your blood or it is not.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Fleet Would?
"Read the whole thread to find out what a "fw" is."

Bob