View Poll Results: Do you regret your new(er) Airstream purchase?
Yes 11 9.02%
No 111 90.98%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #85
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Needed a third choice either maybe or yes/no
We bought used from a private party. They were upstanding in the community but after the purchase we found they had lied about several things about the trailer. In WA ST there is no "lemon law" for private purchases in vehicles/trailers so we were stuck. We are doing our best to make the Argosy trailer work for us - lots of work but it has been enjoyable, somewhat frustrating. We have met great people and this too shall work out. I just hope the couple we bought it from get the same experience we had when they go to purchase a big item. jjairstream

Old 03-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
No regrets!!! Love it, love it, love it!!!!!

"It is better to wear out than to rust out"......Wally Byam
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #87
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper2 View Post
No regrets!!! Love it, love it, love it!!!!!
Saweet.
What kind of hitch are you using? W/D sway?

SHane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
We use a Husky hitch with weight distribution bars and a sway bar. The Airstream tows better than the fifth wheel we had previously.

"It is better to wear out than to rust out"......Wally Byam
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #89
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
2air, no you are not hallucinating (well, maybe you are, but not about the thread title). The title was changed.

I have come to believe a problem with QC is inconsistency—some trailers have lots of problems, some do not. Maybe the QC engineers are of varying quality. Maybe it's the Friday afternoon syndrome. Maybe some owners have low expectations and quality seems fine to them. Maybe all of the above.

And, Sophie', given where you live, the closest dealer is in Denver. You are right about them and I and others have learned the hard way. I take exception to your personal comments about some people. To call people you do not know "depressing negative people" is unfair and counter to Forum rules. If you want only positive comments about Airstreams regardless of each individual's truth and experience, this is not the place for you.

Gene
Gene:

If you are going to make statements with negative tones, you should expect negative feedback, not vicious but negative. I do not appreciate you stating that I do not belong on the forums either. It is not for you to decide.

Anyway, I agree that Airstream trailers and Airstream the company are not perfect, but nothing is. My body was created by God, and it isn’t perfect either. My knees don’t work right, my back is out of alignment, and my eyesight is wearing out. Due to my age, nothing is covered under warranty. Come to think of it nothing ever was.

Keep posting. I don’t expect everything to be positive, but too much negativity is not good for the soul.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiehaus View Post
I do not appreciate you stating that I do not belong on the forums either. It is not for you to decide.
I did not say that. My statement was in the conditional tense—if you want only positive comments…. I never said you should leave; I said this isn't all happy talk around here. It's up to you what you want and expect and whether you stay or not.

I am not going to sell my Airstream as you almost suggested people should do who find problems with Airstreams in your original post. I like it, it was overpriced for the quality and we make the best of it. We like the style, the uniqueness, but we don't like getting things fixed over and over. We are not "extremely disappointed" but we are disappointed.

Gene
Old 04-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #91
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
My tract house was certainly put together worse in 1988, but it has settled into a nice middle age. The trailer has settled into a nice middle age. Interior and exterior still look great. Sure it requires some fiddling, yes it isn't as well built as a modern car. But fix a few things a year and it provides plenty of enjoyment. Next project is the potato chip quality Dometic air conditioner cover. Overall no major concerns..
Old 04-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #92
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Do you regret your new(er) Airstream purchase?

We've had ours for 16 days, so far so good..... except for the "cushions from hell" that refuse to stay put.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
i've snipped your note because it is SUCH A GOOD POINT buried there...

THIS lisa is the crux of many things related to the once famous traylas...

since MOST newer buyers use them SO LITTLE,

many issues will NOT develop till well after the warranty is gone.

for folks that USE the NEW units a LOT, problems happen MUCH sooner.

the 66% thing a/s likes to promote really should be...

66% of all units ever built are in a BACK YARD somewhere...

rather than on the road.

cheers
2air'
Actually the 66% claim should say:

33% of all Airstreams ever made can be found in backyards all across America!

33% of these Airstreams have been rebuilt and reborn at great time and expense in these same backyards and can be seen on selected weekends during summer!

Maybe vintage owners should get an Airstream Co. social security check to help keep the dream/myth alive? At least free parking at the terraport?

Life time supply of polish? Helloooo......
Old 03-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #94
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Asheville , North Carolina
Cost vs. Quality

I have an 2004 Bambi. I love it but... The rear storage panel across the bumper came without being rivited. It was only held by the two clasp at each corner..This was overlooked at the factory and quickly fixed by the dealership. But, after 3 yrs the headliner started coming down..Some blame govermental rule concering adhesive, but I've yet to see a good fix. I can fix alittle rust or a crooked hinge but there seems no reasonable fix for the headlliner...I worked hard for this trailer and only wanted the quality I paid for...I do love it but feel like I was taken in by all the hype over quality..
Old 03-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
I've had no more problems with the AS than with other RV's. But this is the nicest RV we've owned and we're still quite happy with our purchase.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Earthbound Alternative?

I think the quality is certainly better than most, but I have to say that I am impressed and intrigued with the Earthbound. I have started looking at several models very seriously. I am very interested in the 23' Camden, which is being introduced this spring. Though, I would try to steer away from the Denver dealer who carries Earthbound as well as AS.

It could be a viable alternative for an upper end trailer.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There's been a lot of talk about Earthbound lately. They are much lighter, but have less water storage (all 3 tanks are 30 gal. regardless of trailer size) in their 26' compared to our 25'. There may be less storage space and I'm not impressed with the floor plan.

There are thermal pane windows, water tanks claim R13 insulation, microwave instead of oven (oven extra), LED lighting. I can't find out what the R value of the walls and roof are, but they use high density foam, so it should be more than Airstream. The bedroom seems to be open to the rest of the trailer, but it's hard to tell from their website.

The interiors look like a lot of a red/orange plastic. The decor is very modern and not at all warm or peaceful. Though the company is in Fla., all the model names are from Colorado. The guys who started this seem to have come from Thor; that may not be a good recommendation.

They look interesting, they are not cheap, but a lot less than Airstream. If I were in the market, I'd look at them, but like Steamy, not at the Denver dealer.

Gene
Old 03-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #98
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Worley , Idaho
My wife and I looked seriously at the Earthbound at the Spokane RV show in January. I think they are worth a look but I was concerned with the longevity and reputation. IMHO the interior is nice, but not as nice as our AS. I wonder how well the plastic will hold up.

My wife was always opposed to AS trailers due to their exterior look. I was finally able to get her inside a 23' at an RV show in Indio and she was sold. We looked at every RV at the Spokane RV Show, including the AS, and she was sold. We found a well maintained 2006 Safari SE which we purchased from a great couple in Washington and are pleased so far. I have no allusions that this is the perfect trailer, but it is certainly well executed and we are please thus far.

2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote