View Poll Results: Do you regret your new(er) Airstream purchase?
Yes 11 9.02%
No 111 90.98%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
You could consider a slightly used unit - it's similar to a car in the depreciation hit. If you plan to keep it a long time, then why not buy new? We bought ours when it was 8 years old. It has all of the features of a new unit, but the interior finishes were a bit dated, so we updated with modern fabrics. I'd consider a new one when the time comes, now that we know how much we enjoy 'streaming!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I agree with fellow Coloradoan Ken—sometimes. A year ago when we were going to JC for warranty work and one or two things were breaking every day, there were lots of bummed out feelings, but most of the time there is no point in having regrets.

If I made a bad purchase it's because I didn't research enough and the manufacturer did a bad job. The real question to me is what to do about it. We have been making it a better trailer and made sure we got everything we could repaired under warranty. Venting about poor QC also is helpful.

Some people have no problems and some of us have a lot. Standards in the RV industry seem much lower than for other manufactured goods. If I were doing it again, I'd buy a recently made model used nicely. Hopefully a lot of the bad stuff would have been fixed. But when we were looking we had little experience in RV's and hoped a new one would be relatively problem free and wouldn't have had a good idea what to look for in a used model. Now we know, but why sell ours and get another one? We picked the right length and trim line for us.

Gene

Old 03-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
After reading a bunch of threads on issues like customer service, quality control, price point, build issues, whatever it is- could be RV lifestyle in general? I'd really like to know everyones opinion.

Great thread, Joe. Thank you for the opportunity to express my views on the issues (your list), based on my experience with Airstreams. Currently, we have two Airstreams, a vintage 1968 Trade Wind, and a 2005, which we bought new. I had a fascination with Airstreams since I was a kid, when I saw a small caravan go down the main street of my home town. Years later, when the opportunity to get one finally happened, I jumped at it, which resulted in the purchase of the Trade Wind. Little did I know, that my wife had also loved Airstreams since childhood. A friend of her parents had one that she and her brother spent many hours playing in it.

At the time, the problem was that we were both very busy with our careers. We got to camp occasionally, but not much as we would have liked, partially because the Trade Wind was in need of some restoration, which we didn't have the time to tackle. So we decided to get a new AS. That way, we could just hook up and go at short notice. So, for six years we scrimped, saved, and sacrificed to fulfill our Airstream dream. We found the right trailer (for us), at a reasonable price (comparatively), and bought it before retirement, while we could still afford it, and before we were too old to tow it. So... regarding "price point", I feel I got a competitive price for the advertised product, and have no complaints.

Regarding "quality control and build issues', I believe AS fell seriously short in this area. The issues ranged from very minor (fit and finish), which I repaired myself, to major flaws, such as plumbing leaks, corrosion, and structural issues that were beyond my ability to fix. First, any trailer with such problems should have never left Jackson Center. Second, AS should honor their warranty.

I wish I had known about these forums before we committed to the purchase. The pro and con information here is priceless. I simply assumed that the quality would be the same as in my 68 Trade Wind. I was very wrong., and it was a mistake I will never commit again. Lesson learned.

I have written nothing on this forum that I have not already expressed to Airstream, in words, by letter, by e-mail, and in person. In addition to criticizing their lack of quality control, and integrity (my opinion), to no satisfaction, when appropriate, I have lauded the good deeds of their service department and management as well. To be clear, all of the serious problems I've had have been "build" issues. Many of which, AS would not correct. Most of the various non-Airstream components, Dometic, Sharp, Fantastic Fan, Marathon tires, Aqua Jet water pump, etc.) have performed beyond expectations (well, except for the Jensen type vent that disintegrated in under 14 months, and most of the optional A/V package).

Regarding customer service from the dealer, mostly it was fantastic. If I were ever to buy another new Airstream (never happen), I would buy from them. Problem is... after decades of selling Airstreams, they suddenly dropped the Airstream line.

Regarding the "RV (Airstream) lifestyle", I have no regrets. Since we bought the AS we had met some of our very best friends. I can't say for sure, but I don't think this would have happened like it did without us having bought the AS. I love the look and the style, new or old, and always will.

Bottom line: We invested a large sum of money on a premium product and, in terms of build, quality control, and warranty service, we got screwed. All the rest is cool.

Frankly, I was letting all this pass until the "Town Meeting" thread. I thought it was a great concept, but poorly executed. In my humble opinion, the Airstream CEO, when confronted by criticism of the product, came across as ineffectual, arrogant and condescending, then he ran away. One of the unintended results was that they solidified the resolve many of their unsatisfied customers. They did threw a small bone to some vintage owners, though. Some hailed it as akin to a second coming. I viewed it as a failed marketing experiment. My opinion, not fact.

Sorry it was so long winded, but you asked me to contribute. Again, thanks for starting the thread, and the opportunity to comment. If there's anything else I can contribute, please don't hesitate to ask.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #32
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
Great thread, Joe. Thank you for the opportunity to express my views on the issues (your list), based on my experience with Airstreams. Currently, we have two Airstreams, a vintage 1968 Trade Wind, and a 2005, which we bought new. I had a fascination with Airstreams since I was a kid, when I saw a small caravan go down the main street of my home town. Years later, when the opportunity to get one finally happened, I jumped at it, which resulted in the purchase of the Trade Wind. Little did I know, that my wife had also loved Airstreams since childhood. A friend of her parents had one that she and her brother spent many hours playing in it.

At the time, the problem was that we were both very busy with our careers. We got to camp occasionally, but not much as we would have liked, partially because the Trade Wind was in need of some restoration, which we didn't have the time to tackle. So we decided to get a new AS. That way, we could just hook up and go at short notice. So, for six years we scrimped, saved, and sacrificed to fulfill our Airstream dream. We found the right trailer (for us), at a reasonable price (comparatively), and bought it before retirement, while we could still afford it, and before we were too old to tow it. So... regarding "price point", I feel I got a competitive price for the advertised product, and have no complaints.

Regarding "quality control and build issues', I believe AS fell seriously short in this area. The issues ranged from very minor (fit and finish), which I repaired myself, to major flaws, such as plumbing leaks, corrosion, and structural issues that were beyond my ability to fix. First, any trailer with such problems should have never left Jackson Center. Second, AS should honor their warranty.

I wish I had known about these forums before we committed to the purchase. The pro and con information here is priceless. I simply assumed that the quality would be the same as in my 68 Trade Wind. I was very wrong., and it was a mistake I will never commit again. Lesson learned.

I have written nothing on this forum that I have not already expressed to Airstream, in words, by letter, by e-mail, and in person. In addition to criticizing their lack of quality control, and integrity (my opinion), to no satisfaction, when appropriate, I have lauded the good deeds of their service department and management as well. To be clear, all of the serious problems I've had have been "build" issues. Many of which, AS would not correct. Most of the various non-Airstream components, Dometic, Sharp, Fantastic Fan, Marathon tires, Aqua Jet water pump, etc.) have performed beyond expectations (well, except for the Jensen type vent that disintegrated in under 14 months, and most of the optional A/V package).

Regarding customer service from the dealer, mostly it was fantastic. If I were ever to buy another new Airstream (never happen), I would buy from them. Problem is... after decades of selling Airstreams, they suddenly dropped the Airstream line.

Regarding the "RV (Airstream) lifestyle", I have no regrets. Since we bought the AS we had met some of our very best friends. I can't say for sure, but I don't think this would have happened like it did without us having bought the AS. I love the look and the style, new or old, and always will.

Bottom line: We invested a large sum of money on a premium product and, in terms of build, quality control, and warranty service, we got screwed. All the rest is cool.

Frankly, I was letting all this pass until the "Town Meeting" thread. I thought it was a great concept, but poorly executed. In my humble opinion, the Airstream CEO, when confronted by criticism of the product, came across as ineffectual, arrogant and condescending, then he ran away. One of the unintended results was that they solidified the resolve many of their unsatisfied customers. They did threw a small bone to some vintage owners, though. Some hailed it as akin to a second coming. I viewed it as a failed marketing experiment. My opinion, not fact.

Sorry it was so long winded, but you asked me to contribute. Again, thanks for starting the thread, and the opportunity to comment. If there's anything else I can contribute, please don't hesitate to ask.
By looking at the Poll numbers, Looks to me like you forgot to vote....

Just say'n

SHane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Thanks for reminding me, Shane. I easily forgot it was a poll.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
NO remorse.........We have owned 6 so far.....have 3 now, Great times!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #35
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

SR

Excellent Post...

I tried a similar bent few daze ago but had a sar-caz-um attack and couldn't finish.

Shane,
I didn't vote either, been Stream'n too long and felt neither option fit.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #36
_

. , .
i too agree with SRs post...

and would ADD that another BIG negative in the hokey town hall thread was...

AFTER soliciting INPUT, 200+ posts went UP, that were MOSTLY polite reports of ISSUES on new streams...

then...

THOSE POSTS were DELETED (go back and look at the time gap between #1 and #3 or so...

doing THAT (having 200 posts DELETED like they never happened) work very MUCH against any good will that MIGHT have come from that thread...

and only provoked angrier or more NEGATIVE posts after the axing of the nicer complaints...

and sorry fc' but we've traveled this road b4...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...rse-33773.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...rse-39275.html

being P!ZZED about poor fit/finish, broked parts, cracked shells and LEAKS on new streams OR totally INcompetent dealer support,

isn't really remorse...

my view of remorse is a noob' who buys on IMPULSE, gets it home...

and upon finding a few metal shavings or a fuse that's cooked...

cries LEMON LAW (typically AFTER checking the bank account) ....

so like a nice game of thermonuclear warfare...

the ONLY way not 2 looz (or be remorseful) is 2 NOT play the game.

MOST Of US are here BECAUSE we're IN the game, like streamin' and EXPECT the company to DO BETTER.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
We have no regrets. We have had some issues, but we expected this. It is a house on wheels, afterall. Our dealer hasn't always been easy to deal with, but Airstream has been great.

Our warranty is done in 6 weeks. Our only regret is that we have such short summers that we hardly spend any time with our Airstream. Maybe we would have more warranty issues if we didn't have 8 months of winter. Airstream gets off easy on us northerners! Honestly, there should be a special provision for people who have their trailers in storage for winter. It is easy to prove, since our insurance flips over to "storage insurance". Maybe after 24 months of actual use, we'll see more problems, but for now, it's fabulous.

Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #38
_

. , .
i've snipped your note because it is SUCH A GOOD POINT buried there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
...we hardly spend any time with our Airstream. Maybe we would have more warranty issues if we didn't have 8 months of winter. Airstream gets off easy...
THIS lisa is the crux of many things related to the once famous traylas...

since MOST newer buyers use them SO LITTLE,

many issues will NOT develop till well after the warranty is gone.

for folks that USE the NEW units a LOT, problems happen MUCH sooner.

the 66% thing a/s likes to promote really should be...

66% of all units ever built are in a BACK YARD somewhere...

rather than on the road.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #39

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Just bought a used 2006 Bambi CCD and love it! Perfect maybe not but way better than an SOB. I love it!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:48 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
No remorse.

Hi, Tinkering with my trailer gives me something to do and makes it better each time. How do I feel about my trailer? Read my thread "Bob & Lee's random trip" or my blog "2005 Safari remodel" and check out the pictures too.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
went to the greater phila rv show yesterday.its a real shame that airstream wasnt even represented at the show.talk about quality,you couldnt even give me half of the rvs that were there.one image that i still cant get out of my mind was a hi-lo trailer that the show price was 30k,that my son in law said we could build in our backyard in a weekend.the interior was balsa wood,to keep the weight down.if i towed that to fla and back that thing would look like it went thru a demolition derby.needless to say,after i came home it just reinforced why i bought airstream in the first place.by the way the 5th wheels were absolutely horrible.cheap,cheap,cheap.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It is often said in apparent defense of Airstream QC: My Airstream has problems, but it sure is better than that SOB I used to have.

This statement does not prove Airstream QC is good, it just proves there are gradations of bad—really, really bad; really bad; bad; not so bad. If my HDTV came with all the problems my Airstream has had, I'd have sent it back. But somehow this highly complex item came with no problems—I bought a Sony because they are reliable. If the new kitchen cabinets I just had delivered came with so many problems, they'd have gone back. I bought a better quality brand and they were 99.8% perfect (I fixed the one problem).

I too will endorse SilverRanger's post. And I would vote if "Sometimes" were an option.

Gene