Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
Alaskan Camper

Fairbanks , Alaska
My wife wants to drive our TT

This question has just come up at our house.

Because we live in Alaska (Fairbanks) and it will take a week just to get to the lower 48. We are looking at me using a lot of my vacation time every year just driving down and back, to get through Canada.

My wife wants to pull or 25’ Airstream to where we want to go and have me fly down and meet her. I am concerned that her driving down with our four year old, and if there are any problems. She is a great driver and has never been in an accident but I am still concerned. I wouldn’t be as concerned if she was just driving down but pulling a trailer would be a little different. I don't have a problem with her driving with me a long.

It would be nice to be able to spend more time with the family actually vacationing and not so much of my vacation time driving. We have talked about looking for someone that is also going down at the same time that she could tag a long with.

We wouldn’t be considering this until next year so she will have time to get some experince this year.
Ron C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:19 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
When you guys travel do you trade off driving duties? We do, and so I am as comfortable towing the trailer as my husband is. As long as she's comfortable doing it, I've heard that many couples have found that to be a great solution - the wife takes the trailer to camp and gets it set up, and the husband joins her after work on Friday. Usually not so far away that he has to fly to join them, but hey, if she's wanting to do it.

I think finding a buddy to travel with is a great idea. I assume she's well out of cellphone range for much of the trip?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Ron!

If you have the opportunity to spend some time with your local WBCCI acitivities, you will likely run across a few Free Wheelers. There are many single men and women who tow their Airstreams all over the North American continent. With a little extra preparation, and with a few additional accessories towing solo isn't a particular problem - - one of the main accessories that I never leave home without is my hitch up mirror - - it is a large, rectangular convex mirror mounted on a magnetic pole that allows me to see the trailer's coupler and the tow vehicles ball mount manking the hook-up process very easy. With the modern tow vehicles, electric hitch jacks, cellular telephones, and GPS navigation systems, the prospect of towing solo is not a daunting as it was as little as ten years ago. By adding a good motor club or insurance based emergency assistance program solo towing can be a stress-free experience (I rely on my motor club for changing flats on both trailer and tow vehicle as well as operational difficulties with tow vehicle).

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:56 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington

Umm.... you are aware that a travel trailer has no steering wheel, motor etc......

She'll be fine - get some insurance and a cell phone if you're worried and let her have at it. It's important for all of us to feel a little adventure and this qualifies. Beats the heck out of a mid-life crisis and the "I never really lived syndrome". Little kids can sweetly steal away your feeling of adult independance; this kind of trip is a perfect fix.

I drove cross country solo with a 3.5 year old - hard work, yes, but one totally cool trip - a great oppertunity to spend time with my kid. I wouldn't trade that trip for anything.

$00.02

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:49 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
When you guys travel do you trade off driving duties? We do, and so I am as comfortable towing the trailer as my husband is. As long as she's comfortable doing it, I've heard that many couples have found that to be a great solution - the wife takes the trailer to camp and gets it set up, and the husband joins her after work on Friday. Usually not so far away that he has to fly to join them, but hey, if she's wanting to do it.

I think finding a buddy to travel with is a great idea. I assume she's well out of cellphone range for much of the trip?
Gee...so that is how it is supposed to work In our case I do the driving and DW does the flying...no suprise seeing how she is a flight attendant

BTW DW is perfectly capable of hooking up and towing anything we own...in full make up none the less, think Delta Burke without the ego

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:47 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
My biggest concern on a trip like that would be tires. Start out with a brand new set on everything, and have plenty of spares.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I've towed an Airstream by myself for many years and actually never bothered to ask my husband if he thought it was a good idea. HUM? Always remember that as long as you know how to unhitch the trailer you can certainly leave it if it breaks down. Cars breakdown more often than these Airstreams and you have stated you wouldn't mind her driving the vehicle down. With my 24ft Argosy, I have to look back there to be sure I'm still towing something. It is a dream to pull. Get the sway bars, good hitch, and good tires all around (TTand TV). Get a good cell phone and roadside assistance program. Talk about what needs to be done if trouble happens (stay with the vehicle). I, of course, always carried a firearm that I was well trained to use; however, that may not be her choice. If you don't know how to use a firearm, don't have one. I don't know the laws in Canada, but I have a concealed weapons permit here. It sounds like a fun trip to me and something a woman would always remember and feel good about doing herself. Good luck with whatever you two choose.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Great points Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet

Umm.... you are aware that a travel trailer has no steering wheel, motor etc......

She'll be fine - get some insurance and a cell phone if you're worried and let her have at it. It's important for all of us to feel a little adventure and this qualifies. Beats the heck out of a mid-life crisis and the "I never really lived syndrom". Little kids can sweetly steal away your feeling of adult independance; this kind of trip is a perfect fix.

I drove cross country solo with a 3.5 year old - hard work, yes, but one totally cool trip - a great oppertunity to spend time with my kid. I wouldn't trade that trip for anything.

$00.02
I think Janet hit it right on the head. The challenge, adventure and confidence it brings is priceless.

My first solo with the 25' Safari was last winter from Michigan to Florida where my husband flew down to visit with family. This year I just returned from an extended trip planned around the Sarasota Rally. Both trips lasted over a month. This trip totalled 4502 miles.

In preparation I practiced hooking up at home with hubby overseeing and walking me through various scenerios and procedures, including replacing fuses and adding oil, (yeah Stef--I have never even done that ) tire inflation, etc. This time I winterized on the way back. Now I know that when the pump draws three bottles of antifreeze and doesn't come out the faucets I haven't remembered to close the outside drains back up.

It may take me longer and once in awhile I encounter a "glitch" here or there (that's not necessarily gender specific, right? ) but it's all part of the learning experience. Don't think of it as one distant destination but rather a series of managable short trips. Motorclub, charge card and cellphone a must! Allow plenty of time and flexibility. She'll be fine.

One side note: Be mindful of your rear end clearance and the orientation of the pumps at the gas station, some can be a challenge pulling away especially if a car decides to stop between you and the store where you think your exit path might be.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:24 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Let her go, and have a nice trip. At the end of the trip, you will always be comfortable with her ability to handle the rig.

Mark
Old 03-11-2005, 07:21 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd get her in the driver's seat ASAP! If she's willing, go for it. Go on a handful of local trips and get her up to speed.

***However***

If your tow vehicle is up to it, then send her and you child on their way. If you have a marginal or questionble tow vehicle, then I would be concerned about sending them on their own. I see you have a Tundra and a vintage Ford. The coach you posted looks like a new 25' Safari (6300 to 7300lb GVWR). Looking at the Toyota site, if it's a V6 you have already exceeded your tow rating. If you have the V8 and you fill the Safari to 7000lbs of it's 7300lb GVWR, you will exceed the Tundra's tow capacity. If you have an older 2005 Safari that only has the 6300lb GVWR rating and you fill 'er up with stuff, you will be at 90% of the V8 Tundra's tow rating (neither of these take into account passengers in the truck, misc gear in the truck, full tank of fuel in the truck, etc). As for the vintage Ford, being a car nut, I know how well built older cars can be and all, but I wouldn't trust my wife and kid to tow across Canada with an over 30 year old truck with between 6300 and 7300lbs behind them. Keep in mind that I haven't even started to consider the mountains, in which case neither of your two vehicles would make me feel safe enough to let my own in the same situation.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:51 AM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Be thankfull, dude, that your wife is gung-ho about it. I can barely get my wife to accompany me on our typically short weekend trips...let alone drive the rig solo.

Some friends in the Wally club almost talked her into going on a 3-week caravan, though, without me. (work schedule problems, just like you). The main selling point is that when you're in a caravan, you're never "alone". Any trouble you could imagine, and you'll have lots of help in short-order, from very experienced folks. There's safety in numbers.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:03 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
First you let 'em vote, then ... Have you heard the one about the woman driver (oxymoron?)

There is an old lady driving on Interstate 22. A police car pulls her over and explains to the lady she is going 22 mph.

She said 'I know, isn't that the speed limit? The officer said, 'No, this is interstate 22'.

The police officer looks in the back seat and there are three children looking quite ill. He asks her if they need help and she explains,

'No, we just left interstate 119.'
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Miriam, are you going to let him get away with that?
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

I would have to take into account that it is a VERY desolate stretch of highway from Alaska to the nearest civilization.
IMHO, I would not really want to tow that alone with me.
It would be next to impossible to get the motor club to come change a flat when you have no cell phone service and it could be hours before you see the next vehicle.
I am speaking as a father of two little girls and the husband of a stay-at-home mom. I know that my mechanical aptitude is greater than my wife's. I would be concerned about a break-down out in the widlerness. Miles from help. If there were the two of you, then it is no biggie. She would handle the kids and help you when you needed an extra hand.
If it were a cross-country trip that went through the lower 48 then I would say go for it. Let her run with it. I know how lonesome and long that trip through Canada is though.
I guess what I am asking would be; how mechanically inclined is your wife?
I hate to sound like the stereotypical male but I just have an overwhelming urge to protect my family from harm. I guess you can call it caveman syndrome.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
We all think about the what ifs and I'm no exception. I think that I am a better driver, but am I really? Don't tailgate and don't over drive for conditions. Mechanical things do break, but I've never seen any rig on the side of the road for days at a time. Someone will come by and help out. Go for it, don't be foolish but enjoy yourself.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
If she hasn't pulled it yet then find a big parking lot make some poles with some foam pipe rap on it and teach her to park it and how to gage for its length. Let her run over the poles for a couple hours till she gets comfortable with the length and cut her loose.

I should let you ride with my Wife in our Sub. She tosses that thing around like a sports car. She loves when the engine makes that WOOOOOOOOO noise at full throttle on the 454
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:39 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

It has been years since I drove the Alaska Highway- back when the majority was still not hard-surfaced (in a three-door suburban towing a pop-up camper.) "It could be hours before you see the next vehicle" is not exactly a description of it. More like car, car, car TRUCK, car, TRUCK, car, TRUCK. Then, the challenges were the dust, thrown rocks, mud and heavy traffic. Now that almost the entire route is paved, only the traffic and terrain would concern me. The terrain is demanding: mountain grades, switchbacks, limited sight lines and frost-heaving on road surfaces. But those are all characteristics of highway driving in Alaska. Anyone who could drive the Parks or Glen highways in Alaska could handle the Canadian roads as well. Because of the truck traffic, and vacationers, mechanical repairs are available enroute, although not cheap- just like Alaska.

This is all well known to Alaskans and Northwest Canadians. I doubt I am telling Ron C anthing he doesn't know. After all he hints that his family has been over this road before, just not without him. There is even a mile by mile log of every item along the way which is probably the best selling book in every Alaska bookstore. It just ought to be put on record in this thread that a measure of the advice being offered here is without reference to having seen the ground to be covered.

As to taking a gun along- bad idea. Not much chance of crossing the border with it as the Canadian border guards are quite definite in interrogating and inspecting incoming Americans. If you conceal it and are caught in Canada with it you are in some serious trouble. This is also well-known to Alaska travellers.

I am not down on people offering advice- even wildly speculative advice-with appropriate disclaimers.
bobechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
What Janet said!

Whatever precautions you would take if you were making the trip alone or with your child are the same precautions your wife should take.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:20 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

The title of your post says it all

Hi Ron!

The big question to me is how comfortable your wife is with the idea of travelling alone, and from your post, it sounds like she has the self-confidence, adventurous spirit, and driving abilities to make the trip quite well. Why spend all of your vacation time driving if you don't have to? Your wife and son will probably have a great time, and you can meet them in the lower 48 and spend your vacation time actually vacationing instead of driving.

My husband is driving from NH to MN (in a 2001 Suburban towing our 2005 Airstream) this summer by himself with all 6 of our children, ages 11 down to 1. He is a teacher and has the time off, and I am an RN and don't have that luxury. I am saving up all the vacation time I can so that I can take a road trip to AK with the family in a few summers. My girlfriends are amazed that my husband would attempt such a trip with all 6 kids by himself, but (and this is the important part!) he has NO qualms about it and is looking forward to the trip. They will be gone at least 3 weeks, and I know they are going to have a blast visiting his family in MN.

When my husband was a child, his mother and father used to drive their 10 kids in a station wagon and towing an airstream, all the way from MN to Mexico City. My father-in-law would then fly back to MN while his wife and 10 kids stayed in Mexico for a month or more (he ran his own business and didn't have that kind of time to spare), and he'd fly back down to help drive back at the end of the summer. It worked quite well for them, and my MIL never had problems staying down in Mexico by herself with the 10 kids.

I say, what's good for the goose, is good for the gander. If your wife wants to do it and has the skills and her wits about her, why not? And like the others have said, once she has completed this trip, BOTH of you will have confidence that she can Airstream anywhere on her own.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:12 PM   #20
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
Good Sam club has a group called "Stand by sams". They are all over, and listed in a directory as local contacts in case of trouble. It makes me feel better, even traveling with tools and skills. Seems like we could do something like that just for Airstreams, but maybe it would be redundant.
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote