View Poll Results: In your opinion what causes the most repair trouble for airstream owners?
Skin Rips/Cracks/Dents 16 28.57%
Windows Leaks/Fogging 12 21.43%
Frame Cracks/Bends 5 8.93%
Water System 6 10.71%
Axle Suspension/ Shocks 4 7.14%
Tanks Water/Grey/Black/ Propane 2 3.57%
Valves Tanks/Water 2 3.57%
Heaters Water/Air 2 3.57%
Interior Hardware/Upolstery 5 8.93%
Doors Exterior/interior 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2004, 12:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Maintenance Problems

It would be interesting to see how various problems rank as the most common problems in Airstreams.
I would like your help in gathering this info, and I will try to refine the data in future polls.

Old 06-09-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Leaks!

I honestly believe it has to be leaks and the resulting damage. I have yet to find an elderly AS that didn't have a leak somewhere at some time or another. What is sad, is that they are fairly easy to keep from occuring with routine maintenance. Then some well meaning soul gets a hold of a case of silicone and really adds to the problem. Most caulks exposed to elements and movement are only going to have a life expectancy of about 10 years max. I would think that by recaulking the tops of windows, rub rails, vents, plumbing vents, and generally paying attention to window and door gaskets at lot of leak issues would be eliminated. I realize that a lot of PO's never had the knowledge that has been accumulated to date and depended on their local RV dealer for service. Unfortunately from what I have seen most RV dealers are not competent to service a childs tricycle! There are good ones out there but they are few and far between, and ones that can properly service Airstreams are even more rare. The second worst problem is improperly balanced running gear (Thanks Andy! ) people just don't realize the damage that can be caused long term by the constant vibration. I also wonder how much our current towing speeds factor into this aspect of it. Face it 40 years ago the interstate system was not as wide spread as it is today, and average speeds were slower.

Aaron

Sorry about the rambling.

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I totally agree with you wahoonc.
Leaks and the resulting damage are a pain with ANY recreational vehicle. And, most leaks are preventable with proper maintenence and a balanced running gear.
RV dealers certified as Airstream dealers should be MADE to be profecient in these two detail areas, IMHO. I am sure Andy would agree.
I would think that the extra expense of using stainless or aluminum alloy for the frame would be justified by the buyer, and the use of a composite material for the flooring such as the composite decking materials available today would produce a fantastic product.
A frame that does not rust, and a floor that does not rot should be high on the engineering lists at Airstream in my opinion. RV people that buy Airstreams have money. Why not provide a product that is the BEST.
Maintenence, repair, and replacement of wear items and appliances will continue to be a necessary area of dealer profit centers even if the Airstream trailer were to be made almost "perfect". And, if an Airstream were to be made almost "perfect", then why would not the world beat a path to buy the best RV available?
Maybe I should be CEO?.....
Old 06-11-2004, 01:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up You got my vote~

dscluchfc,
By all means...you should run for the "Office"..
Once in, outsource the engineering task to members of the: "Airstreamforums"~!!
We, as a group, will get it done RIGHT~!
Honestly, I can't help but smile...
When I think back to how many times I've had those thoughts~
If there's one thing and, one thing only that Airstream needs to address~
"It's to remove the possibilities of floor rot, and the frame from rusting~ EVER.."
ciao,
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #5
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
(Exterior)Skin Crack

I see that this subject (title) topped the list for most porblems...ironically, it's what I came on the Board for today.

I have a small 3 inch crack over the mid-top of my door --- ON THE EXTERIOR ---. It's been said by several to drill a small hole ("stop drill"---about a 1/8" hole) at the end of the crack to prevent it from 'transmitting' farther...then, fill the hole & the crack (or cover them) with Vulchem or Alcoa (liquid aluminum)..and adhere a VERY thin patch of aluminum over it (to cover)...sealing the edges with another striping of the Vulchem or liquid aluminum---and keep it refreshed each spring.

I was just told that the lastest findings are that the drilling-hole concept (from a recent article in Aviation Newsweek (publication) does NOT work---however they may have been referring to plexiglas, not an alloy. Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts/suggestions/input on this subject. I do think I ned to take care of it somehow before I take it to the road...and don't want to 'fix it' unless I fix it RIGHT.

Thanx.................. Cat
Old 01-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Limited
Greenwich , Ohio
Unhappy Crack above our door

I performed a search looking for information on what to do about a crack in the skin above the door. I saw Cat's post, and it sounds like we're having the same problem. The crack wasn't noticeable last summer, but it seems to be getting wider. My husband thought an aluminum welder could weld it together?

Does this seem right to anyone out there?

Is there an underlying cause that I need to fix that's causing the crack?
Old 01-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Well, I was taught in aviation mechanics school to stop drill any crack in either plexiglass or aluminum. I have a crack under one of my windows in the lounge area and I stop drilled it. The crack kept on spreading right through the drill hole. So much for that.

I think the liquid aluminum is the best bet as it is the least noticable. As far as welding, It would be an extremely delicate job. I do weld aluminum, but I wouldn't try to weld something that thin. I would be afraid of burning a bigger hole. I'm no expert welder though. Maybe there is someone who could do it.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher3rd
I performed a search looking for information on what to do about a crack in the skin above the door. I saw Cat's post, and it sounds like we're having the same problem. The crack wasn't noticeable last summer, but it seems to be getting wider. My husband thought an aluminum welder could weld it together?

Does this seem right to anyone out there?

Is there an underlying cause that I need to fix that's causing the crack?
First off 2024-T3 is NOT a weldable alloy of aluminum. Now for the crack part. Stop drilling will not fix the problem but is part of the repair. I would also look for the problem that is causing the crack before repairing, like a worn out axle, or unbalanced or out of round tires, or the floor rotted out around the door frame. Something has caused the metal above the door to flex or vibrate causing the aluminum to work hardened and crack. The best repair would be to replace the skin but repair is also possible and would look like a repair. Cracks comming out of the door frames are quite common on aircraft and there are standard repairs for them. For an Airstream, an external, or scab patch, sealed and riveted, with two rows of rivets around the entire area of the crack would most likly suffice. Again find the cause, then repair, with total skin replacement as the best repair.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Poll is open

Hi all just had my favorite Moderator reopen the poll. So please vote.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
gary

couldn't vote in your poll as there is no section for electrical.

my number one pain in the butt is watering the batteries. (soon to be fixed with a new converter) after that the trailer is pretty much fix as you find problems... cooling unit for fridge, dino board for furnace, covers for vents etc...

john
Old 01-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #11
Rot-Roo Rastro!!

2000 30' Limited
Austin , Texas
Where was the "All of the above"
AIR #12075
silversled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:52 PM   #12
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I agree with Wahoonc and dscluchfc. What more can be said. Leaks have the greatest potential for expensive damage. As far as frequency of repair or attention, it would have to be the furnace. It requires attention every year at some point or another.
GStephens