Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Lance Travel Trailers

Hi All!
My wife and I have been talking/thinking about buying an Airstream nonstop for the last 6 months and for the last 4 months have decide we would like a 2015 - 2018 International Serenity 25, 27 or 28 with twin beds & Oyster cushions. I look daily on several sites, my wife also looks several times a week as well. We thought we had one purchased from a dealer in Grand Rapids, MI about a month ago. It was a Saturday morning and we agreed on a price and thought we would "seal the deal" on Monday when the salesman we worked with (extremely nice and helpful) returned as he was leaving early to go to the MI State football game. Another salesman sold it that Saturday
So our search continued. Then yesterday I came across Lance Trailers. Nice features inside and out (except it's not aluminum or an AS)
Does anyone know about these trailers and how they compare to Airstream? Is it even worth driving a couple hours to go see?
Thanks in Advance for your input! Oh yeah and the snarky comments
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
We also considered a Lance and like the quality they put in their trailers. The only reason we did not buy one was the lack of dealers and knowledge of this brand in the Midwest and thus the potential lack of resale value here
If we lived in the west coast, we would own one.
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
We like Lance trailers. They seem to have very thoughtful storage, and extras other trailers don't have. They have a good reputation. We might have gotten a Lance if we hadn't fallen in love with the Airstream.
That said, I think the BEST thing about an Airstream is that it will NEVER go out of style. A Lance looks like every other trailer out there.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Hi All!
My wife and I have been talking/thinking about buying an Airstream nonstop for the last 6 months and for the last 4 months have decide we would like a 2015 - 2018 International Serenity 25, 27 or 28 with twin beds & Oyster cushions. I look daily on several sites, my wife also looks several times a week as well. We thought we had one purchased from a dealer in Grand Rapids, MI about a month ago. It was a Saturday morning and we agreed on a price and thought we would "seal the deal" on Monday when the salesman we worked with (extremely nice and helpful) returned as he was leaving early to go to the MI State football game. Another salesman sold it that Saturday
So our search continued. Then yesterday I came across Lance Trailers. Nice features inside and out (except it's not aluminum or an AS)
Does anyone know about these trailers and how they compare to Airstream? Is it even worth driving a couple hours to go see?
Thanks in Advance for your input! Oh yeah and the snarky comments

Well, Can Am RV in London Ontario sells them along with Airstream. They are choosy about the brands they carry, and they like the Lance product. Independent suspension with good towability, and quality materials seem to be their strengths.

The downsides compared to Airstream are the laminate construction, and inferior aerodynamics. And they’re not Airstreams!
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Lances have composite floors. Every travel trailer will eventually have a water leak. I prefer the composite floor to the plywood in the AS, saves a few hundred pounds in the process and has a better r value. More interior room also. The AS has that timeless style though. We looked at the Globetrotter 23 as a possible replacement to our Lance 1575. Will have lots more time to travel in a few years. We travel very light. We like to haul firewood, chairs and a small table. The AS has only a very small outside storage area on the 23FB. We get in out of the way boondocking. Our 1575 has a 2.70 inch lift. Dealer said that there is not any factory lift kit for the AS I guess people can choose what trailer works best for them. The euro trailers are going to raise the QC standards and American companies can either step up or go home.
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Thank you!

SnooMc,
I'm with you. We love the AS look. After these positive comments, we will make the drive to go look. It's going to take a lot to change our minds but sounds like it worth the drive. Also it is closer than the nearest AS dealer.

MTBMitch,
I didn't know that about the composite flooring. Thank you!

There is no twin bed option but the 2465 and the new 2075 have a king size bed! Yea!

You have all given us some great input so far. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2019, 06:31 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmitch View Post
Lances have composite floors. Every travel trailer will eventually have a water leak. I prefer the composite floor to the plywood in the AS, saves a few hundred pounds in the process and has a better r value. More interior room also. The AS has that timeless style though. We looked at the Globetrotter 23 as a possible replacement to our Lance 1575. Will have lots more time to travel in a few years. We travel very light. We like to haul firewood, chairs and a small table. The AS has only a very small outside storage area on the 23FB. We get in out of the way boondocking. Our 1575 has a 2.70 inch lift. Dealer said that there is not any factory lift kit for the AS I guess people can choose what trailer works best for them. The euro trailers are going to raise the QC standards and American companies can either step up or go home.

Do not mean to hijack this thread, but this information may be of value.

Your dealer is almost correct regarding a factory lift for an AS.

Dexter, maker of the AS axles, makes a 2 7/8" lift that is designed for their axle and AS's.

Airstream factory service center, Jackson Center, OH, will install the Dexter lift as part of the Airstream factory service center offerings and will charge about $600, Dexter lift parts included. You need to schedule with JC and then bring your AS to the mothership for this install. AS website has link for service contact. So the AS, any model or size, can now 'rise' to the occasion of 'boondocking' a little easier. Does not by the way void factory warranty they told me when we contacted them.

There is a good thread regarding lifting a Classic 33fb that also is worth looking at if interested, search thread titles I do not have the exact thread title for you.

Mikebrady62 - Good luck in your search for the perfect AS. Be patient we certainly have been for almost a year now. P.S. looked at Lance and could not like it as much - no real character.

Jeff and Kathy - Renascence
Old 10-29-2019, 07:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
The other thing about Airstream is the Club. The rallies and caravans are tons of fun, and we have met wonderful airstream peeps from all over the country. We are returning home today after being out 64 days and over 7000 miles on the Kentucky bourbon and more Caravan. It’s been a great trip and we can’t wait for next summers rallies and trips.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renascence View Post
Do not mean to hijack this thread, but this information may be of value.

Your dealer is almost correct regarding a factory lift for an AS.

Dexter, maker of the AS axles, makes a 2 7/8" lift that is designed for their axle and AS's.

Airstream factory service center, Jackson Center, OH, will install the Dexter lift as part of the Airstream factory service center offerings and will charge about $600, Dexter lift parts included. You need to schedule with JC and then bring your AS to the mothership for this install. AS website has link for service contact. So the AS, any model or size, can now 'rise' to the occasion of 'boondocking' a little easier. Does not by the way void factory warranty they told me when we contacted them.

There is a good thread regarding lifting a Classic 33fb that also is worth looking at if interested, search thread titles I do not have the exact thread title for you.

Mikebrady62 - Good luck in your search for the perfect AS. Be patient we certainly have been for almost a year now. P.S. looked at Lance and could not like it as much - no real character.

Jeff and Kathy - Renascence
Renascene,
Although the Lance have some great features and reviews, The "Boss" agrees with you fully! "No Real Character"
No longer going to make the drive. We will continue to wait for the AS that is right for us. I am hoping I don't have to be as patient as you
Old 10-29-2019, 08:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Private message sent.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Renascene,
Although the Lance have some great features and reviews, The "Boss" agrees with you fully! "No Real Character"
No longer going to make the drive. We will continue to wait for the AS that is right for us. I am hoping I don't have to be as patient as you
So, I did make the drive solo (couldn't stand it) Although the Lance is a nice TT, it is not an AS. Not only the look but also the solid feel and finishes the AS can not be matched (except maybe a Bowlus)
So..... the search continues!
Old 10-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
The average of non-Airstream trailers lifestyle is around 15 years while its 40 years for Airstream campers.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
It's good that you made the drive, just to be confident you don't really want a Lance. We've only had our Flying Cloud a few months and can't imagine having anything else.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:57 PM   #14
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
While you are looking at Airstreams, be sure to step into a 26. Goldilocks says it is just right.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Lance innovations I wish Airstream would consider

We’re on our 2nd Airstream and love it, warts and all.

As an enthusiast I like to check out what other companies are up to and stumbled across this YouTube video because of the title:

“Lance Debuts Non-Slideout Camping Trailer With Airstream-Like Layout”. https://www.motor1.com/news/378578/l...mping-trailer/

I found several cool features. Check out the dual Lithium slide out battery drawers and full extension side storage drawer. I’d like to see Airstream integrate some of these features. I’m not a fan of the Lance interior but they appear well built.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Lance makes a REAL nice trailer. Lots of nice features. I particularly like the insulation factor, the dual pane windows, and those snap on covers for the skylights/ceiling fans are SWEET!.

Problem is, you can't show up at the International Airstream Convention with a Lance.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
That is the video that got my attention. The production units on the 2075 have not started to ship yet. I did like all of those features as well. I still would like to see one of the 2075's but will stick with an AS.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
The other thing about Airstream is the Club. The rallies and caravans are tons of fun, and we have met wonderful airstream peeps from all over the country. We are returning home today after being out 64 days and over 7000 miles on the Kentucky bourbon and more Caravan. It’s been a great trip and we can’t wait for next summers rallies and trips.

Mike
I have to give a +1 on this comment. Join the AS club and it’s a lifestyle. The rallies are great and you will make a lot of new friends. We just finished the Southwest Adventure Caravan. It was amazing.
We’re now getting on the list for a couple of caravans next year.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
The average of non-Airstream trailers lifestyle is around 15 years while its 40 years for Airstream campers.
40 year lifetime for an AS?

Looking at what's for sale in the 10 YO to 40 YO Airstream market shows me one thing is abundantly clear. The lifetime expectancy of any AS trailer is just like any other brand recreational vehicle or RV trailer. That lifespan is TOTALLY dependent on the owner and their love, care or lack thereof of their RV/Trailer not the trailer or its build quality alone!

Yes the original quality of an AS is better than most if not all sticky built trailers however all that initial build quality can NEVER overcome an owner who does not care for or about their AS trailer.

AS's are no different any other HIGH DOLLAR LUXURY ITEM where the typical buyer is 55 years of age and above. The first owner loves it to death, gets to old or incapacitated to enjoy their AS, dies and the widow sells their AS. The second owner buys it because they could not afford an AS when it was new and as such their ability to maintain the AS is totally based upon their financial ability or lack thereof to use the AS and/or maintain it both at the same time. The third owner is a dreamer who spends all their money and more to buy the AS and is left with no money to travel, enjoy or maintain their AS and that's when the AS gets PLANTED in the yard, driveway or back 40!

Drive around sometime in your local neighborhood and especially out on the country roads. Lot's of "Silver Bullet's" sitting around occupying space! I especially love all the "Dreamers" who buy that bargain AS with that AS RESTORATION DREAM. All I can say is that they sure do know how take an AS apart! It's that "Puttin That AS Back Together" part that becomes a HUGE problem! Let's also not forget that for most AS owners an AS trailer will require a Tow Vehicle that is not what most folks typically drive in today's world for a daily driver. No your Toyota Prius will not tow my heavy AS trailer!

5-10 years ago you never saw "Gutted AS For Sale" ads. All you saw then were "AS That Needs Restored" trailer ads. With the "Used AS Trailer" market now in high gear lot's of folks are finding out first hand how complex an AS trailer rebuild can be even for the most minor project that leads to another project and another project! They buy it, tear it apart, stare at it and finally figure out they are WAY OVER THEIR HEAD in this AS project and decide to sell the Gutted Shell of an AS turning that AS trailer that had some value into an AS trailer that's NOW valued at What's it Worth? What's It Weigh?

It's that never ending project cycle of repairs and upgrades that sours a lot of folks on trailer ownership, rebuild and/or restoration. An AS trailer is supposed to FUN NOT A LOTTA WORK!

AS's "May" be built to last 40 years however that is rarely the case!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clive , Iowa
Purchased a new Lance 2375 (2019) in Nov. 2018. Had looked at a Globetrotter for double the price. There were features on the Lance I preferred and we have a very reputable dealer here in central Iowa. Didn't get to use it until a March trip to Texas. Absolutely loved the TT, but not crazy about towing experience. Ended up trading for a MH in June. Much better for the travel experience. I feel for the money invested (and they all depreciate) the Lance units are tough to beat.
jpaine4 is offline   Reply With Quote