Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaine4 View Post
Purchased a new Lance 2375 (2019) in Nov. 2018. Had looked at a Globetrotter for double the price. There were features on the Lance I preferred and we have a very reputable dealer here in central Iowa. Didn't get to use it until a March trip to Texas. Absolutely loved the TT, but not crazy about towing experience. Ended up trading for a MH in June. Much better for the travel experience. I feel for the money invested (and they all depreciate) the Lance units are tough to beat.
So what didn’t you like about the towing experience?

Remember when you by a MH there are a host of other things that can go wrong. And now you are looking at $150,000 and up for a decent MH. And you still have to tow a car along with.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #22
nixpix

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Jackson , Wyoming
Lance vs Airstream

We have owned 5 different Airstreams, the most reliable was our first a 2005 19’ Flying Cloud. Our favorite was a 2010 25’ Serenity. Unfortunately none of them could really handle the rigors of long distance gravel road travel and serious “boondocking” so we switched to a Lance 1985 two years ago.

The Lance has an inherently stronger tank mounting system in that the tanks hang in the frame rather than being suspended from the frame. They are also higher capacity than the Airstream of equivalent size. The Lance is also a far more capable cold weather camper.

Either trailer can be modified for more ground clearance by replacing the stock axles with new ones with “steeper” swing arms or shimming the stock axle. On our Lance we used new axles with a steeper swing arm angle and swapped out the stock 14” tires and rims with 15” tires and rims.

The big downside of the Lance is the slideout. A failure would be difficult to deal with in the boonies. We are very careful to keep the slideout clean and well lubricated and so far have had no problem. We also made sure to order the awning over the slideout to keep the roof clean.

Good luck with your choice, there is no question the Airstreams are superior looking inside and out, but it is amazing how much better the Lance “looks” after several years of faithful service in the boondocks as well as keeping us warm in some seriously cold conditions.
nixpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #23
nixpix

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Jackson , Wyoming
Lance vs Airstream part 2

I forgot to mention the “towing experience”. There is zero difference between towing an Airstream and a Lance of equivalent size and weight.

I initially used a Chevy Suburban to tow my 19’ Flying Cloud. One trip over Tioga Pass quickly disabused me of the notion that the Suburban was up to the task. I switched to a ¾ ton Sierra with the 2011 “LML” Durmax diesel which I subsequently “chipped” for greater reliability. The newer Duramax engines are far more reliable and don’t need this mod. If you need to drive in the mountains at all you will be far safer with a ¾ ton diesel, doesn’t matter which manufacturer, they are all superb. The diesel engine brake makes all the difference in the world.
nixpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Kewadin , Michigan
Hi we owned a Lancer 2018 Lance 1985 we really likeed the trailer and the quality and workmanship were very good
However we did not like the air-conditioning it roared like a lion non-ducted
The outside storage was much better than an airstream but the inside storage wasn’t any better
We traded it in less than a-year-old and bought a 2019 25 flying cloud twin front bunk
We absolutely love it it actually tows better than the Lance both in the way it tracks and I get 2 miles per gallon better
Here’s one other thing you might want to consider we paid 38,000 before tax they gave us 24,500 on trade-in value mind you it was only nine months old
I never would’ve had to take that big of a hit on an airstream
They were both good trailers we just love the airstream oh and one other thing the TV system in the airstream is better than the Lance
Take care and safe travels
OSU76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Poulsbo , Washington
Lance trailer question

We have been avid Airstream wannabe's for many many years. I am an engineer and appreciate just how many rivets it takes to form it into one solid external shape. Details, details. The Flying Cloud 20FB was the best fit for us, although the 25-26 Flying Cloud models were spacious and beautiful.

All the Airstreams lacked was storage and a reasonable price. But one can make do, and we kept looking for a well-maintained and well-built older model. Learned a lot about good build years and bad. Learned that our strong Land Rover with more than adequate tow specs did not have the necessary tongue weight capacity.

Then, while negotiating a purchase anyway, a colleague insisted we investigate the Lance, in detail. So we did.

Today my wife tells me over and over again that she just loves the Lance 1685 we bought at a price well above that of the cheaply built mass market trailers, but still well below the asking price of a new Airstream Flying Cloud.

Th Lance interior space is much larger. Interior storage is a little larger. Refrigerator/freezer much larger. Exterior storage much larger. The solar and ease of adding more solar is great. Love it. And the Queen bed is of highest quality and beyond huge - a true queen, not the tight bed of the FC 20FB.

The Airstream community is great. The product, if you realize you must not assume it is built uniformly well, and diligently identify and correct the oversights, delivers on its promise of a good aerodynamic shape for towing, and its unique appeal that does attract new friendships.

For us, the Lance turned out to offer higher quality at a much lower price than the used Airstreams I located across the country. We bought a low mileage, used GMC Yukon Denali tow vehicle with the reliable 6.2 engine with the savings.

We still love the look of the Airstreams. My sister spent two Minnesota winters in one, so let nobody say they cannot handle it. But yes, we find the Lance a better choice for our needs.
HappyNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:51 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
That Lance 2075 is certainly an interesting rig and nice to see some innovation in the US RV industry.

There is certainly a uniqueness about Airstreams that some simply must have in spite of the many limitations inherent in their design. People gravitate to them for many different reasons. Although it has no draw for me the camaraderie of the Airstream community is about the only area where Airstream excels. Functionally not many rigs rate below an Airstream.

I really like the no slide of the typical Airstream and the new Lance. Although I have, and like having, an Airstream I also have an Arctic Fox 25R. One of the things l particularly like about that rig is that although it has a slide it's not as deep as most, probably 18". The rig is fully functional with the slide in without a single locker being blocked or any living function being impacted. Virtually every aspect of the AF beats the stuffing out of the AS functionally. Insulation, ground clearance, ride quality, tankage, storage, comfort, all way above the AS.

And yet I keep and enjoy my Airstream as well. vive la différence
Old 11-04-2019, 07:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
We have the Airstream; Lance, the Arctic Fox Now let's add the Oliver to the mix.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:25 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
We owned the Oliver 22 footer for two years. Probably the best built, highest quality trailer on the market. Very pricey. The trade off for molded fiberglass is lack of comfort and a small space. Try before you buy. We are in our 31 foot Classic and love everything about it.

Olivers are great weekend campers, low maintenance, easy to tow, plus excellent style...but you don’t want to spend a week in one...especially if you have bad weather and can’t live outdoors.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:51 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
That Lance 2075 is certainly an interesting rig and nice to see some innovation in the US RV industry.

There is certainly a uniqueness about Airstreams that some simply must have in spite of the many limitations inherent in their design. People gravitate to them for many different reasons. Although it has no draw for me the camaraderie of the Airstream community is about the only area where Airstream excels. Functionally not many rigs rate below an Airstream.

I really like the no slide of the typical Airstream and the new Lance. Although I have, and like having, an Airstream I also have an Arctic Fox 25R. One of the things l particularly like about that rig is that although it has a slide it's not as deep as most, probably 18". The rig is fully functional with the slide in without a single locker being blocked or any living function being impacted. Virtually every aspect of the AF beats the stuffing out of the AS functionally. Insulation, ground clearance, ride quality, tankage, storage, comfort, all way above the AS.

And yet I keep and enjoy my Airstream as well. vive la différence

The Arctic Fox 25R is a nice looking rig. But, where are the windows?
The Lance is also nice but...
Fortunately there are lots of RV makers and lots of models/floor plans so that each of us can be different and choose differently. I would hate to be just like some people I know.

I think the AS brings the outdoors in with its windows, it might not have some other features that others have but AS's has some things others do not have.
Jeff and Kathy - Renascence.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Hi All!
My wife and I have been talking/thinking about buying an Airstream nonstop for the last 6 months and for the last 4 months have decide we would like a 2015 - 2018 International Serenity 25, 27 or 28 with twin beds & Oyster cushions. I look daily on several sites, my wife also looks several times a week as well. We thought we had one purchased from a dealer in Grand Rapids, MI about a month ago. It was a Saturday morning and we agreed on a price and thought we would "seal the deal" on Monday when the salesman we worked with (extremely nice and helpful) returned as he was leaving early to go to the MI State football game. Another salesman sold it that Saturday
So our search continued. Then yesterday I came across Lance Trailers. Nice features inside and out (except it's not aluminum or an AS)
Does anyone know about these trailers and how they compare to Airstream? Is it even worth driving a couple hours to go see?
Thanks in Advance for your input! Oh yeah and the snarky comments
.....not even close.....sob. An artic fox is excellent
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Kewadin , Michigan
The A/c unit in a Lance Roars like a Lion that's why we got rid of ours and got an A/S
OSU76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
We have the Airstream; Lance, the Arctic Fox Now let's add the Oliver to the mix.
OK. We’ve got over 50K miles on our Oliver, well over 300 nights. As Trumpetguy says, very high quality and smaller interior space. We spend a lot of time outside grilling and chilling. Tows easily and fits almost anywhere. Currently camping at Blanco State Park, TX. Lots of choices!
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Is it even worth driving a couple hours to go see?
YES!
1. Searching is half the fun.
2. Even if you hate it, it will confirm your choice of Airstream.

I always thought of Lance as the truck camper people, so I guess they've branched out.

If I wanted a box trailer, I'd also look at Arctic Fox, since they have a reputation of being a true 4 season trailer.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:58 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
Bluffton , South Carolina
Watched this just last week

Walk through of a forthcoming Lance floor plan. Sounds like there is an early video,if you wanted to see more of the trailer.

WillZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:05 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandCarol View Post
OK. We’ve got over 50K miles on our Oliver, well over 300 nights. As Trumpetguy says, very high quality and smaller interior space. We spend a lot of time outside grilling and chilling. Tows easily and fits almost anywhere. Currently camping at Blanco State Park, TX. Lots of choices!
I have only seen the Oliver TT online. They seem like they would be extremely durable. Well built without a doubt. They do seem a bit cramped inside though. Obviously you love yours. Have you owned an AS? What are your thoughts on how they compare living wise? With 300 nights, you would know!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:48 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Quote:
I have only seen the Oliver TT online. They seem like they would be extremely durable. Well built without a doubt. They do seem a bit cramped inside though. Obviously you love yours. Have you owned an AS? What are your thoughts on how they compare living wise? With 300 nights, you would know!
We have not owned an Airstream although we’ve been in plenty of them. The main size difference is that Oliver’s are 7’ wide, a plus for towing and fitting into small sites but a minus for reduced living space. The only times we’ve felt cramped is when the weather is bad for several days running and we can’t do much outside. Otherwise, no problem. Oliver is a fiberglass company (walk-in tubs and other things) so they do fiberglass extremely well and their trailers are well constructed. Mike
Old 11-07-2019, 06:52 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
If they did not have a wet bath, I would gladly sell my AS and buy an Oliver. But, after 17 years with a wet bath in my sailboat...never again.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:57 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
If they did not have a wet bath, I would gladly sell my AS and buy an Oliver. But, after 17 years with a wet bath in my sailboat...never again.

Larry
Yep, I hear you! We’re used to the wet bath, cleanest spot in the trailer. Some folks don’t want to deal with it which is understandable.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I just saw where Escape is introducing a 23 ft, walk around queen and dry bath for 2020. No pix or stats yet or $$.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
https://www.rvtrader.com/Any-1996-La...&year=*%3A1996

A quick search on RV trader shows 1 lance truck camper that is 25 years old.

https://www.rvtrader.com/Any-1996-Ai...&year=*%3A1996

A quick AS search shows 53 older than 25 years.

Maybe Lance builds a long lasting trailer but I am going to go by history and history says either they can't build a long lasting trailer or they haven't built a long lasting trailer. Either way it appears lance is not built for the long haul. Lot's of people build nice new trailers. I want a trailer that is still nice in 25 years.
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote