View Poll Results: Do you Keep Right Except to Pass?
Yes, I keep right except when overtaking. 83 90.22%
No, I like the left lane and think it's safer. Plus it's my right. 0 0%
Yes, I drive in the left lane but only when it's clear. If a faster driver comes up behind me, I'll pull over to let them through. But then I'm back in the left. 7 7.61%
Lanes? I don't need no stinkin' lanes... 2 2.17%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
I keep right unless I'm stoopid, and I sometimes am. As a rule I keep to the right or middle lanes. In California it's illegal to drive with a trailer of any kind at more than 55mph: Another lost law.....

I think we should all drive rigs with lighting like Artstreams!

Rich the Viking

Old 02-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #30
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
......................If you are a fan, try putting on your golf shoes and run through the kitchen. Do any damage? Do you have better traction?......................................... ........
If you don't get better traction on the kitchen floor with golf shoes, try track shoes. I used to use my son's old track shoes, to walk on my cedar shake roof when I lived in Washington state.

Regards,
Ken

PS Washington State only allows studs during certain months. Here in Colorado, they are allowed all year long, although I very seldom see them on vehicles.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
My pet peeve is drivers in the right lane, who wake up while you are passing them, decide they are going to slow, and accelerate while you are trying to pass them. Come to think of it I have another pet peeve.It is people who, after passing me, pull over so close it front of me that I have to slow down to be a safe distance behind them.
Regards,
Ken
Amen. Arm the heat seeking missiles.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I try to stay in the middle or right lane as much as possible or practical. I do sometimes skip the right lane if it is too tore up. But, when I'm in the so called "passing lane" keep a close eye on my mirrors and pull to the right early to let someone over take me. It is just plain rude, discourteous, inconsiderate, dangerous and stupid to hog up the left lane. I have not shot any of these road hogs yet but it's a favorite fantasy of mine.

In New Mexico there is no such thing as a designated passing lane, although you do see signs asking slower vehicles to keep to the right. Also in New Mexico there is no law giving anyone "right of way". There is a law that states when you must YIELD the right of way. In both cases pulling to the right and yielding is just common courtesy and the right, smart and safe thing to do.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #33
Plays with old toys

1979 31' Sovereign
Toronto , Ontario
Lane discipline

Lane discipline is very much a cultural thing. In most parts of Europe (Germany especially) it's a matter of high moral consequence to occupy the left lane when the right is available and a faster vehicle is behind you.

It's so much more civilized, safer and enjoyable as a result. Further, when it doesn't happen that general (ie. slower) traffic takes to the left lane there is usually good reason such as poor road conditions or other hazards in the right. Overtaking traffic is less stressed and generally waits these times out.

Passing on the right however, I believe, is far more dangerous when impatience and arrogance combine with a habitual response to other drivers' left lane indifference.

Nor is any faster vehicle coming up behind necessarily entitled to overtake if, for example there is nowhere ahead to go. Most roads these days are congested and we all need to enjoy the courtesy and the ride.

I have seen a great solution for those who tailgate when there's no room ahead anyway, or insist on ignorantly holding up the left lane (I believe many have some perversion of moral duty to hold faster traffic down to the posted limit.) My daily driver A6 has a powerful headlight and windshield washer system that seems would empty a reservoir in three pulls. "A little spray as I pull away" delivers the message. Emphatically if their car was clean.
'79 Airstream Sovereign International '31
'75 Chevy Silverado Fleetside Pickup
'80 Baja 19TC "Twilight Cruiser" 260hp Speedboat
'65 Chevy Corvette Sting Ray Convertible
pauluptime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #34
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
What I also love about some Florida drivers (I used to live there) is that when it rains, they turn on their flashers while driving down the interstate. Lord knows which lane they intend to change into (as if they would use their signal anyway!). It's illegal to drive with your flashers on.

The Georgia State Patrol has publicly (in the Atlanta Journal Constitution) stated that this is illegal. Those are EMERGENCY flashers and rain is not an emergency. If the driver feels it is raining hard enough to use them, they should pull over into the EMERGENCY parking lane and wait 'till the rain slacks off. In Georgia this is usually 10-15 minutes at most.

The problem people don't realize is that the rhythm of the flashers often coincides with the brains ability to judge distance. Before the brain has a chance to lock onto the distance with the lights illuminated, the lights go off and the brain has to readjust. This cycle is repeated with the lights on and then again when they are off. The brain is unable process and judge distance and if the offending vehicle is going significantly slower than an on-coming vehicle, the driver of the on-coming vehicle may not have time to slow down sufficiently to prevent rear-ending the vehicle with the flashers on. Soooo, if you don't want to be rear-ended, don't use your flashers in the rain...just get off the road and wait it out.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
The problem people don't realize is that the rhythm of the flashers often coincides with the brains ability to judge distance.
Which, of course, brings up the subset which this thread alludes to. Specifically, drivers who don't have any.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I should have known that the results would have come out like this - Airstreamers, and more specifically Forum members, are consistently more intelligent and better drivers than the population at large, right?

(and of course we're much better-looking, but that has nothing to do with our driving abilities )
Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
Airstreamers, and more specifically Forum members, are consistently more intelligent and better drivers than the population at large, right?

(and of course we're much better-looking, but that has nothing to do with our driving abilities )
Is that a rhetorical question or do we need a poll?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Is that a rhetorical question or do we need a poll?
Of COURSE we don't need a poll for that - it's a scientifically proven fact.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #39
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I have noticed that in many western states they have signs that say Keep Right Except To Pass. That seems to explain it better than in many eastern states where signage says Slower Traffic Keep Right. I think some believe that if they are doing the speed limit, then they are not going slow and are entitled to sit in the left lane and control all other drivers who may wish to pass.
The underlying laws actually vary from state to state. In some states, like Minnesota, it's legal to drive in the left lane as long as you're not "slower traffic." In others, it's not.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #40
can't finish anyth

2006 19' International CCD
2010 28' International
Dallas , Texas
Whether towing or not, I stay out of the left lane except when passing, regardless of the number of lanes. If I am towing AND there are three or more lanes traveling in the same direction, I stay toward the right but not in the right-most lane, mostly to give a break to the drivers entering the highway.

If I'm not towing (particularly in a small car with a manual transmission), I usually pass on the right side and I have been known to use entrance/exit ramps, shoulders and any open space to get around. Well, I AM from Miami.
(tricked-out techie twinkie)
2007 Ford F-150 SuperCab.
2010 Touareg TDI
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #41
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My solution? back off the accelerator a little bit and let the clump pass.....its a lot easier to hang out at a slower speed and stay that way except for a little passing than to try to compete with the rude ones.

An example of driving skill.

Using the mirrors is a requirement under law, but few have ever learned the habit. The packs of morons (or, is it cretins? Maybe just retards) who drive along in the left lane, bumper-to-bumper, are the worst feature of the modern Interstate. Luckily, managing them isn't so hard.

I was en-route to New Orleans last week, solo, at my usual 59-mph (and above a corrected 28 mpg in my 3.5T pickup truck due to a mild wind) and spied a Class 8 Volvo three miles back being passed by another Volvo. That steering wheel holder in my lane drove right up my bumper and complained over the CB about me . . so I called him on it -- not being smart enough to let the overtaking truck get around him (maybe had another 2-mph on governor; believe me, it can take miles to pass) -- and then he wouldn't have been trapped behind all the cars that had jammed up behind them both.

The problem of Keep Right Except to Pass is that overtaking is not passing . . wish the cops would write tickets on it.

As to those who avoid the right lane, well, they also forfeit the greatest amount of maneuvering room due to a paved HD shoulder. Not smart.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
I try to stay in the right lane. leaving my left turn signal on to keep everyone guessing.

Actually, I am more inclined to stay with the traffic flow and I blow by semi trucks. But overall, I'm a very polite and conservative driver.