View Poll Results: Do you Keep Right Except to Pass?
Yes, I keep right except when overtaking. 83 90.22%
No, I like the left lane and think it's safer. Plus it's my right. 0 0%
Yes, I drive in the left lane but only when it's clear. If a faster driver comes up behind me, I'll pull over to let them through. But then I'm back in the left. 7 7.61%
Lanes? I don't need no stinkin' lanes... 2 2.17%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
There is a special room in H#LL for people who go slow in the left lane.

I totally understand road rage and have no problem with people who commit this mortal crime getting their just rewards.

You all might remember...about twenty years ago Richard Petty (Yes, King Richard himself) was driving on the interstate when some chowder head was corking up the left lane. The King finally had enough, and "rubbed" him. Yep, Petty slammed the nimrod squarely in the rear and let him know to get out of the way. Yeah, he got a ticket. But, he got about a million High Fives from those of use who HATE left lane bandit knot heads!

Old 02-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I think there was a guy around here who did that. IIRC it ended in a fatal crash and murder charges.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
This cracks me up.
Left Lane Drivers Unite!

They're trying to reclaim the left lane - you can buy a sticker that you place on your windshield with backwards lettering, similar to the wording on ambulances and other emergency vehicles. When a slowpoke in the left lane glances in their rearview mirror (some do, some don't) they get a very clear message.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Come to think of it I have another pet peeve.It is people who, after passing me, pull over so close it front of me that I have to slow down to be a safe distance behind them.
Regards,
Ken
#1 for me also...WOW look at that kool RV, then run along side for a mile or so before cutting right back in front.

I stay in the right lane except for the rare pass. When Streaming the trip is an important part of the experience for us. Towing at a steady 60mph usually keeps us from running up on a lot of other drivers, and gives us our best MPG.

Co-pilot often comments on how many times the same rig passes us after they hit a rest stop.

We may be slo... but we be steady!!

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #19
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
The King finally had enough, and "rubbed" him. Yep, Petty slammed the nimrod squarely in the rear and let him know to get out of the way. Yeah, he got a ticket. But, he got about a million High Fives from those of use who HATE left lane bandit knot heads!
Here we go:

Parker Man Gets 2 Life Sentences For Fatal Road Rage Crash - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver
Old 02-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Here's another guy who "slammed the nimrod squarely in the rear":

Road rage accident claims 3rd victim; Ohio driver jailed on charges of causing W.Va. crash - WJW
Old 02-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #21
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
I guess much of this is dependent on how you were taught to drive. I was taught to maintain the right lane except passing, to use center lanes (if available) for safety, and to accelerate during the pass to clear passed traffic sooner.

We stay in the right lane due to the speed at which we tow. We rarely pass another vehicle when towing. If we have to pass, we return to the right lane as soon as safely possible.

On a multi-lane highway, we will move to the left lane at least 1 mile out if we are approaching a left turn/entrance/exit ramp (especially if traffic is heavy) and not increase our speed. These situations tend to be in at least semi-populated areas.

I agree that poor road conditions/construction zones could make me change my driving style.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Three lanes or more, I'll position one lane over from the right most lane. The only time it get's dicey is when passing a slower vehicle and in that situation I'm not traveling as fast as some of the left lane traffic is moving. So say I'm doing 60 and passing a slower vehicle on the right. I move into the left lane when clear and as I'm passing, some guy doing 80 comes right up on the back of the trailer flashing his lights and giving me the razz since I'm not also doing 80 as I am passing that right lane traffic. I don't hang over left any longer than necessary nor will I put myself at risk by pulling to the left and being significantly under the speed limit.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
My pet peeve is drivers in the right lane, who wake up while you are passing them, decide they are going to slow, and accelerate while you are trying to pass them. Come to think of it I have another pet peeve.It is people who, after passing me, pull over so close it front of me that I have to slow down to be a safe distance behind them.
Regards,
Ken
I am totally with you on BOTH of those points!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Jammer,

The first news report was of a complete idiot who is apparently unhinged in general. He slammed a guy so hard so as to knock him into oncoming traffic. Of course, that is wrong.

The second story didn't tell much other than one guy slammed another and caused an accident.

King Richard didn't cause a wreck. He just bumped the moron to let him know to get the @#$%!@#$@! out of the way, after the idiot wouldn't get over. Yeah, technically it was wrong. But it sure made me smile.

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER cruise in the left lane. It is for overtaking ONLY.

I have had idiots flip me off for flashing the high beams at them to get out of the way when they're poking slow in the fast lane. That is after following them for many miles.

When I become a cop, I am going to burn every dope I see out there doing this. Forget the tickets for 56 in a 55. I want to arrest and have the fools do hard time for:

1. Driving slow in the fast lane
2. Driving way under the speed limit on 2-lane roads, stacking 10 cars up behind them, and not pulling over
3. Not using their turn signals
4. Driving while half asleep and weaving and jinking all over, like a drunk

I think a weekend in jail for "Failure to signal" would have a lasting impression on someone.

I could list many more. But here's the deal: driving, like life, should not be reduced to the lowest common denominator. Yes, it is too easy to get, and keep, a driver's license in the United States. I have been crashed twice by old people that should not have been driving. They were simply physically incapable of it. I say impose medicals on them just like you have for a pilot's license. If your reaction times are that bad, you don't drive. Being able to recite the letters you heard the guy in front of you state is not enough.

But the vast majority of problems are caused by people who have their heads up their @$$'s and are not paying attention.

It's a real pet peeve of mine.
Is crashing them wrong? Yes.
Is a good beating when they pull over OK? I would say YES! But probably not.
Is a huge fine or jail time OK? Certainly!

Realistically, I wish the cops would start targeting these people and leave those of us who want to get from A to B quickly and unimpeded alone. The so called "Bimmer Speeders" are not the problem (those driving well handling cars in a quick and disciplined manner). Those shaving, eating, drinking, reading a book, talking to the clouds, or whatever else it is that these hammer heads do instead of driving should be targeted and punished severely.

I'm jacking the post, and will lay low now. I'm mainly talking about in a car.

When towing, I ALWAYS stay over except to pass because a rig is so much slower than the normal traffic that it shouldn't even be a question at all.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #25
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
I have noticed that in many western states they have signs that say Keep Right Except To Pass. That seems to explain it better than in many eastern states where signage says Slower Traffic Keep Right. I think some believe that if they are doing the speed limit, then they are not going slow and are entitled to sit in the left lane and control all other drivers who may wish to pass.

What I also love about some Florida drivers (I used to live there) is that when it rains, they turn on their flashers while driving down the interstate. Lord knows which lane they intend to change into (as if they would use their signal anyway!). It's illegal to drive with your flashers on.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I keep right unless on a three lane and the right lane is full of semis, then I might ride it out in the middle lane for a while.
This is my habit, as well....especially when going through big cities with lots of on- and off-ramps. In California, you are often directed to do this in areas with lots of congestion.

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 02-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #27
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw View Post
If there are three or more lanes, I find myself using the center more and more.
In some states the right lane is so tore up that the AS and TV rattle. But, the major reason is that I have found that most drivers will not bend their neck to look when merging. It's all done with the mirror. Too often I have to emergently move, brake, or simply not let the offender on to the highway.
It's survival mode much of the time.

Tom W
I'm with Tom on this one.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
The state of Washington allows people to drive around with studs in their tires. The end result is that we have some of the worse road conditions in the nation. I will always drive in the right lane when there is traffic but when there isn't, I move left and keep my eye on the rear view mirror. The right lanes are torn up and I just don't like tearing up my equipment when I don't have to.

If all things were equal, you would find me in the "slow" lane. Any law out there that requires you to use the left lane only for passing is a joke, at least in this state.

Studs? Another topic for another time. If you are a fan, try putting on your golf shoes and run through the kitchen. Do any damage? Do you have better traction? Glare ice is another question but how often do you really drive under those conditions? Sheesh.