Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Kayak Rally--Lake Powell 2012

I'm reposting some graphics from the kayak and Airstreams thread to get this rally started as a separate thread.

Anyone interested in a small Airstream/kayak rally at Lake Powell next year? The boondock area in the first photos above has room for 5-6 campsites within 300 yards of each other, and has a reasonable view of the Wahweap arm of the lake. We're parked at point 1, which is about 1/4 mile off the highway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wahweap camp.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	143307

You can't camp overnight at the Antelope Marina, but you can park for free for 14 days and camp just across the lake on the nearby island. Presumably you could sleep in a tent on the island and then paddle back to your Airstream to eat and provision for another day of paddling. aS you can see here, you can park in full view from the island and can paddle directly to the shore near your parking spot, without having to go around the point to the marina launch ramp.

Name:	P1000007 parked at lake powell-s.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	143309

Name:	antelope marina.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	143308

Looking up from the narrow water between Antelope Marina parking area and Antelope Island.

Name:	38 P1040248.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	143310

A small sandy beach about 1/3 of the way down the Antelope Canyon arm of the lake.

Name:	35 P1000019 2yaks lake powell-s.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	143311

More to follow -- maps, lake info, proposed dates (right now I'm thinking to put it one side or the other of the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque--that would make it the last weekend in September or the second weekend in October, approximately).

Zep
Old 10-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
We're interested. Prefer to sleep in the AS though!!! At our ages, we've spent enough time in tents.

Thanks for the info on LP. It appears to be considerably more hospitable that Lake Shasta (water temps in the 50's) , which is closer to us.

Could we obtain an "group" rate at one of the nearby CG's?

Thanks again for starting this thread....will be interesting to see where it leads.

Zigi
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Ziggy,

If you're "old" and have a Golden Eagle pass, I think the camping is $5 a night in the Lone Rock camping area. There is a dump station and fresh water available there. It's a great deal.

We have three options for camping--free at Antelope Marina (if you actually camp across the water), free in the dispersed camping on the south side of the highway (across from Wahweap), or really cheap inside Lone Rock. We'll see what the group would like to do.

One of the considerations at Antelope is that you can take your whole rig over there and those who don't want to kayak can "tailgate" and see if any of the kayakers provide entertainment.

Zep
Old 10-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Ziggy,

If you're "old" and have a Golden Eagle pass, I think the camping is $5 a night in the Lone Rock camping area. There is a dump station and fresh water available there. It's a great deal.

We have three options for camping--free at Antelope Marina (if you actually camp across the water), free in the dispersed camping on the south side of the highway (across from Wahweap), or really cheap inside Lone Rock. We'll see what the group would like to do.

One of the considerations at Antelope is that you can take your whole rig over there and those who don't want to kayak can "tailgate" and see if any of the kayakers provide entertainment.

Zep
Easy there, big guy!!!

The definition of "old" is someone who is 15 years older than you are. Let's not talk about that one!

I'll do some more research. Keep me posted, please. Thanks. Zigi
Old 10-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
how about early november?
other kayaking things in sept (Lake Tahoe Gang Paddle) and Nor Cal forum rally mid oct.
We can only do one "thing" a month due to our age and fixed income.
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
When did you go Zep, mid October?
What were the air temps? I'll have a dog in the
trailer while paddling, unless its too hot.

September looks like it could be pretty warm

Average Weather for Page, AZ - Temperature and Precipitation

I don't care about water temp, I never tip

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 10-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We're interested in attending this one if we can work it into the schedule, and October would be best for us....sometime close to the Albuquerque Balloon rally would really be great.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
What a great idea Zep! Shawn and I would be interested in attending however we would possibly need to rent a kayak if we don't have our own by that time. We do like to stay in our AS at night as opposed to a tent but we are open.
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Zep; We don't own kayaks, but are interested in attending the rally. I'll watch it play out and if the rally site is something we want to handle we will be there. This past August we parked at Wahweap RV Park and took a day trip to Lone Rock, about 7 miles. We set up our Eazy-up in the water with chairs and cooler. Stayed cool (temps about 100 deg), did some snorkeling, fun fun. My GMC is 2 wheel drive and I almost got stuck, even after following the ranger's advice as to where to drive on the sand. I'm leary of taking the AS onto the sand beach. I agree with dates near the Balloon Fiesta. Probably Sept would be better for mild temps. Some photos of Lone Rock.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011_08_17_1104.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	143381   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_08_17_1113.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	143382  

Name:	2011_08_17_1114.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	143383  
Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Rally Details

This post is intended to elicit ideas from all interested forum members. BTW, if you suddenly can’t find this thread, it may have been moved from this forum section to the “Rallies, other” section.

Regarding questions already asked:
  1. November weather is definitely doable from a paddling standpoint, but for beach time and wading, not so much. The final date will depend on the group inputs.
  2. Non-kayakers are welcome, but numbers may be limited if the selected camping area is limited. It would be good to have people in “camp” if most of the kayakers elect to do an overnight paddle out to a distant canyon.
  3. Kayak rentals are available locally.
  4. Pets are allowed on beaches.
  5. Only the NRA campgrounds (national recreation area, run by a commercial vendor, maybe KOA) are located near the lake. Dispersed camping is very close (just on the other side of highway 89). Unless you go to the formal campground at Wahweap (expensive! Not for me—you could camp there and join the group during the day for paddles), all camping will be “dry.” So really the only consideration is do you want to park the Airstreams close enough to the water that you don’t have to drive to get the kayaks in the water.
I’ve included two maps as attachments. Download them so you can open them at their native resolution, or you probably won’t be able to read them. The more detailed map names the lake’s features. The larger map has numbers that indicate attractions across the region (in case you want to think about a bigger trip than just the rally). If so, I recommend very strongly that you try to cover as much of the red-lined highway as possible. Here are the features:
1. The Wave (photo below). There is a very strict BLM lottery that allows access to this area.

Name:	The Wave.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	143604

2. Antelope Canyon (photo below). A world famous slot canyon that is a commercial tour run by the Navajo.

Name:	slots.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	143605

3. Lee’s Ferry. Not directly on any route I’ve depicted, but it’s the launch point for Colorado River raft trips and if you’re in the area in late summer, you can pick fruit at the historic Mormon farm. This is where the Paria River empties into the Colorado. About 10 miles west there is a “Y” in the canyon, the other one being Buckskin slot canyon. If you’re interested in hiking a slot canyon, it’s accessible from near the Wave--permit required.

4. Monument Valley. Enough said.

5. Goosenecks of the San Juan (photo below). There’s a state park here. You can see Monument Valley in the background.

Name:	Goosenecks.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	143606

6. Valley of the Gods. There are many references on the web.

7. Muley overlook. You have to climb the Moki Dugway (photo below) to get here and all the signs say don’t do it if you are towing. I say that is a bit over cautious, but I take no responsibility if you do things I normally do. My Overlander and Caravel both went up it just fine. Once you get to this spot, you will be above the Goosenecks and have a great view of Monument Valley. It’s just a great spot all around, but it’s about 6 miles of “OK” dirt road.

Name:	moki dugway.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	143607

8. Grand Gulch. Wilderness hiking and a few anasazi ruins. This is BLM land and you can boondock wherever you find a flat spot.

9. Comb Ridge. This geological feature is very prominent from the air. It’s like a long cracked spine, with anasazi ruins (photo below) in every second or third crack. The area west of the ridge is also full of ruins. More on that later, if you are interested (and willing to take an oath to tread lightly).

Name:	anaszi.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	143608

10. Bridges NP. If you’re heading up the red-lined highway, you will cross the Colorado River at Hite Crossing, and can do some kayaking at that end of the lake, too. When the lake was much lower two years ago, this area was exposed and showed the accumulation of silt where the river normally entered the lake.

11. Goblin Valley. Mushroom-shaped sandstone, easy to get to and fun to wander around in.

12. Horseshoe Canyon. This is a small piece of Canyonlands NP. If you are interested in rock art (photo below), you need to see it. There are at least three major panels in the canyon, one of them over 100' long with 100+ figures. The Ghost Panel is just one of them. Leave your Airstream near Goblin Valley and cross 25 miles of dirt road to get there. It’s worth it.

Name:	Ghost Panel.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	143609

13. The Sinbad area of the San Rafael Swell. This whole area should be a NP (photo below). If you depart (or arrive) via this area, I can provide details of excellent boondocking locations and rock art.

Name:	Sinbad Storm.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	143611

20-21-22. Escalante, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion.For those who make the loop and don’t go up to Sinbad, this is an incredible trip through four NPs and other areas of note. In particular, the road across the mountain north of Boulder provides a spectacular view of Capitol Reef and Escalante, then when you go south out of Boulder you will be “thrilled” to be on the razor’s edge [road], where it’s essentially straight down on both sides (for about ½ mile).

14-15. North and South Rims, Grand Canyon. If you go out this direction, you can do one or the other, but not both. If you elect to see the North Rim, you will also cross the Navajo Bridge and pass right by Lee’s Ferry.

16. Wupatki. A very nice drive, which will also take you through Sunset Crater NM. If you liked Easy Rider you will recognize some of this road.

17. Canyon de Chelly (photo below). This is one way to the Balloon Fiesta. The White House ruin is worth the hike. You can jus see the tip of the front wall in this photo. The remainder of the canyon is also accessible, but only with a Navajo guide.

Name:	White House.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	143610

18. Ship Rock. The other way to Albuquerque. I just love these chimneys, and this is a big one. You may notice the three volcanic dykes radiating out from it, and see other chimneys in the area.

19. Enchanted Trails RV Park. If the dates work out, this is where you queue up to do the Airstream parade into the Balloon Fiesta.

23…OK, I probably left something out…
No more posts from me for awhile. If I were a Jewish mother, I’d now say “talk amongst yourselves…,” or in this case, "post among yourselves..." and we’ll see what develops.

Zep
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kayak rally map-big.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	143602   Click image for larger version

Name:	kayak rally-attraction detail.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	641.4 KB
ID:	143603  

Old 10-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Hauling kayaks.

How would I haul a 17' kayak on my trailer?
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Wow . What a "Dream" trip. Kayaking and all that natural Beauty. Will start to think and plan. Thank's for the wonderful Post.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
IMHO, it would be best to haul it on your tow vehicle. Several companies make racks for that.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
As SteveH says using "Yakima" or "Thule" Racks on the TV are the way to go.I have Both systems,Thule on Truck and Yak on SUV. There web sites walk you thru what you need to carry Bikes,canoes,kayaks,Storeage Boxs etc. REI stores have excellent info and product. They cost $$ but Ive had them 20 yrs.and have used on various vehicles. You change mounting attachment and use the same towers,rods and brackets.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Incredible post, Zep. Thank you..
Old 10-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #16
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
worked for me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	86 Excella 171.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	143664  
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Hi all.
Hope you don't mind Zep, I took the libery of creating a Google Earth tour of
the area. Gives a nice flavor of the kayaking if you have never been there.
The entrance to Antalope canyon is about 1 mile from the boat ramp.
The Antalope canyon fly over goes back about 2.5 miles from the entrance.
The Navajo canyon entrance is about 4.5 miles from the boat ramp.
That fly over goes about 7 miles in from its entrance.
Both flyovers are from a height of 200 feet above the water.
You need Google Earth loaded with a good computer and good internet
connection to watch the tour.

Google Earth can be downloaded from here:
Uncheck Chrome checkboxs unless you want it.
Google Earth: Download Google Earth for PC, Mac, or Linux

The tour file can be downloaded by clicking this:
https://sites.google.com/site/a86456...Rally Area.kmz

Open it with Google Earth and then double click the
"Antalope and Nanajo canyon fly over" tour found in the "Tour of Kayak
Rally Area" folder. This should be somewhere in "Places" on left side of
the Google Earth screen.

I can feel the blisters on my palms already .

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 11-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Preliminary, mostly firm, decisions

SKY, great flyover tour. Thanks. Now I'm going to have to lean how to do that!

For planning purposes, I'm making some preliminary decisions. Here are the specifics, so far:
1. I plan to arrive on Thursday, 27 Sept, early enough to get my zebra mussel inspection and then establish a camping area.
2. We'll dry camp in the Lone Rock camping area. The campground has potable water, a dump station, and a restroom facility with outside showers, but not exactly adjacent to the camping area.
3. Plan on group paddles from Friday, 28 Sept, to Tuesday, 2 Oct. At least one of these paddles will be overnight, so bring your expedition gear if you want to join this paddle. If you camp overnight, NPS requires that you have an approved human waste collection/disposal device (WAG Bags, $40 for a set of 12).
4. Pot Luck, probably Friday evening, 28 Sept.
5. The local paddles (non-overnight) will start around 10:30 AM, in order to give people a chance at the 9:00 BLM lottery for the Wave, if anyone wants to try for it. It's 13 miles to the BLM contact station.
6. This is not a sponsored rally, neither by the Forums nor WBCCI. There is no rally charge, except what you will pay to NPS for camping. Bring everything you need and leave no trace. It's 22 miles to Walmart in Page (and McDonald's).
7. If you want to rent a kayak, it's up to you to Goggle a source in Page and make your own arrangements.
Now for the fun stuff. The following satellite map shows the area where we'll camp and the nearby parts of the Lake that I think are reasonably accessible (and interesting). Note the mileage chart. The miles for Wahweap and Antelope are for the full round trip. All other mileage is one-way, so double it to get home. I don't show any planned paddle into Navajo Canyon only because it's a real haven for motorized craft that like to rat race through the canyon switchbacks, and I don't want to be paddling across the channel when one of these knuckleheads shows up. More on that later. Go this page for more map info. (Note: in this map, the upper half of the satellite photo was taken when the water level was way down--you can see the significant jag in the shoreline where the two photos meet):

Name:	LP-proposed paddles.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	145418

1. The Wahweap paddle--6-1/2 miles around Lone Rock and then into the western bays, including a nice slot canyon and at least one creek:

Name:	LP-wahweap.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	145419

2. The Antelope Canyon paddle--yes, you have to load up and drive over to the public ramp near the Navajo Power Station. There are a few nice beaches in the first third of the canyon, but aft that it's vertical walls all the way to the mud/beach at the end:

Name:	LP-antelope canyon.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	145420

3. Paddling over to Labyrinth should be an overnight. If the wind is westerly, we can make it into the canyon and even do a little hike (), then paddle back out to the camping area to spend the night before paddling back against the wind the next day. If the wind is easterly, we'll struggle to the camping spot and then hike in the morning before we head back with the wind at our backs:

Name:	LP-labyrinth canyon.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	145421

4. If we're real adventurous and have a group of strong paddlers, we can go all the way to Face Canyon.

Name:	LP-face canyon.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	145422

5. As a backup, we could consider doing a little of Navajo Canyon, especially if the boating crowd has thinned out this time of year. However, to get to the steps or the ruins it would probably require an overnight:

Name:	LP-Navajo w track.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	145423

When you arrive, get your zebra mussel check at the Wahweap Marina. It's behind the gas station near the main boat ramp. You do not have to pay to enter this part of the Lake Powell Recreation Area if you aren't camping or launching your kayak (eg, if you're just getting a mussel check or going to the camp store).

Name:	LP-zebra.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	145424

For those who just want to do a series of day paddles, you can explore Warm Creek (15-26 miles), circumnavigate Antelope Island (25 miles total), or paddle to the dam and back (17 miles total).

OK, that's all for now (and probably all you need to know). See you there.
Zep
Old 04-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Oh wow, that looks like a tour for a bucket list!

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
It's hard to predict what the lake level will be this year. The eastern slope here in Colorado had the driest March on record, which may mean lower lake levels. That's not necessarily bad, especially if the Golden Cathederal is once again accessible.

Everybody should go back and review post #10, which is essential to planning your trip in and out. I'll do a few updates, with a final by mid-July. So if you want to commit, plan on doing so by then.

Zep