Old 04-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #1765
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
It is not Thur, but Sat PM. And we are excited that we have a trip planned for the week of April 26th. It will be our first boondocking trip to the Owyhee area in Oregon.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #1766
Beneath the title

2005 28' International CCD
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
It’s Thursday and I love my Airstream because of a lot of reasons. Mostly that we are officially homeless. Now I know, you can’t call it camping if you don’t have a home but our AS hovers in the driveway of our empty house. We will live in our Airstream as we cross the country in our move East. We are moving because of my job and an obvious message from my HP that says I have to do something else somewhere else.

The "stuff" is on a truck heading East from Federal Way, Washington toward South Carolina. We will leave tonight or early tomorrow in the AS, still not sure of the route, South to Sacramento and left or East to Yakima and then SE to Arches National Park in Utah. We will decide that later today.

We really don’t want to leave the Pacific Northwest. It is where we lived for the last 5 yours of our military career. Some things that went on here over five years made us grateful. We found and bought our first Airstream. A 28’ Foot International. Went to an Airstream Rally where we found sympathy because our AS was only 3 years old. “So sorry it’s not a 1957”

We lost our two Border Collies of 15 years. First, there was Chief who died of cancer. We thought we could save him but no luck. He was much loved and watched over by other dogs like “Our Little Alki Dog” and many others. We lost Scout February 7th, I returned from a year in Iraq on February 5th. She made it two days. Scout was a Sheppard’s dog who protected the flock. She was old and sick and had a stroke and in pain everyday. She hung on and took care of the flock (Alison) until I came home from war. It was only when she knew I was safe that she decided to let go. She died two days after I came home. What courage and loyalty.

We learned how to Kayak here. Alison will miss that the most. I learned how to play drums here and we have great neighbors, they never called the cops. I think they had hearing problems.

We will keep you posted and as head east. The cat seams to enjoy the Airstream, we will stand up, hook up and shuffle out the highway today or tomorrow based on the details.

All the best,

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Hondo.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	101038  

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #1767
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
jnerges, don't worry. Us Airstreamer's on the east side with take you in. You can still kayak. The difference may be that the water will be warmer. You can still rally, just with different folks. You will still have an ocean, just the Atlantic and not the Pacific.

Enjoy your trip to our side of the country and let us know of your travels. Remember to include pictures. We all love pictures, no matter what side of the country you live on!

And if you come through Chattanooga, let us know. We don't have community parking, but can recommend some nice places to stay and lots of things to do. We would also love to meet you!

Thanks for your service to our country. See you soon!
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #1768
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
It has stopped raining and I can finally get back to work on it.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #1769
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Sorry to hear you are leaving the NW, Had hoped to see you at a rally around here. Have a safe trip, Utah is great. my favorite campground is near Bryce canyon and is called Kodachrome after the film. You are right down among the hoodoos and it is awesome. Keep us posted on your travels. What loyal friends your dogs were, I'm so sorry for your lost.

It's Thursday and I love my Airstreams because of all the wonderful people I have met both here, on the road and in the clubs.

wbcci#8209
Air Forum#17236

Check out the Oregon WBCCI Club and Airstream Living Oregon unit 090 on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #1770
Beneath the title

2005 28' International CCD
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
From my awesome brother in law:

"Countless Ambassadors and Land Yachts will live vicariously through your trailer in the next two weeks. May the force of polished aluminum and AD rivets be with you all the way. May Hondo find a peace that has been elusive on previous trips. He has logged a lot of miles for a cat who doesn't like a trip around the block. Maybe he will like heading east better."

www.FlyCorvair.com - Home of the Recognized Authority on Corvair Powered Flight

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #1771
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
It's Thursday and I Like My Airstream Because. . .

I now know quite a lot about her history.

Quite a few months ago, through Google and snail mail, I managed to make contact with the 92 year old original owner of Island Girl. I made a post in this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...tml#post768217. Some weeks after that I got a call from her son, who promised to search his own memory and that of his mom and get back to me with some info.

Last week I got an email contact from him filling out much of what I didn't know about my trailer's past.

Her original tow vehicle was a 1951 Pontiac with a straight eight that he mentioned sometimes had to crest some mountain climbs with the heater on full blast to get a little more coolant involved. She operated out of a base near Chicago and the Pontiac pulled her to Lopez Island here in Washington in '57 and to Nova Scotia and the New England states in '58. In '59 the new TV was a new '59 International Travelall with a six cylinder and three speed with overdrive. That rig would pull her to Lopez in '59, to Michigan and Minnesota in '61, to the Seattle World's Fair in '62, and Florida in '63. After the son used her for his honeymoon in '64, she made another trip to Lopez where she stayed as they built a home on the island.

I learned that the last time he saw the trailer at least fifteen years ago, his mom had asked him to find out how mice were getting in and he mentioned putting steel wool around the fresh water tank drain to seal the bellypan. I distinctly remember taking that old steel wool out.

I really really like my old trailer, but this connection makes it that much more special. We've agreed to get out to Lopez with the trailer once we're closer to completion of the project. I look forward to that.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #1772
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
pbearsailor, what a great story! It is so much fun learning the history of our Airstreams.

I love my Airstream because in 6 days, we will be parked at the Boxcar Forever Bluegrass Festival at Raccoon Mtn, TN. Yee Haw!
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #1773
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Heres one thought I'll share with you guys, if you don't mind..

It's Thursday and I love my Airstream because it's raining here and she's in the driveway. To me there is just something special about getting inside my Aistream and watching the rain. Kinda like a fort I built growing up. Just sitting inside quiet and feeling safe and watching the green look greener when the clouds roll by and the rain falling, like I'm hidden inside and noone can see me. Can't describe it exactly, Just love that feeling.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #1774
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
...it's Thursday a week before my set up day at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Fair (aka da Jazzfess) and I LOVE MY AIRSTREAM because this year I decided to set up some 12 volt lights inside my 'Fest booth and run them off my trailer battery (hauled out there every day..the battery not the trailer) and I didn't even have to go buy a battery charger because snug inside the Safari is an Intellipower converter that will intelligently recharge the battery for me each night before I head out to the booth!...

...so yeah, I LOVE MY AIRSTREAM because not only does it make this endeavor possible, but it FORCED me to learn all about 12 volt electrical and how to rig lights and make sure they run properly....
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #1775
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
It's Thursday and I like my Argosy because (hopefully!) we'll be camping near Astoria, Oregon this weekend!

I'm so thankful for all of the wonderful people here on the Forums; you inspire us on a daily basis!

jnerges, good luck & safe travels, and most of all - thank you for serving in our military. We all owe our freedom to you & your fellow soldiers.

pbearsailor - how wonderful that you have been able to find out so much about your trailer! And the chance to meet the original owner - how cool is that? I'm sure she's glad to know the trailer is still out there, and making another family happy!
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #1776
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
It is Thursday, and we are looking forward to our 1st true boondocking trip. Tomorrow is Friday and Martini night, Sat is grocery shopping and a trip to the library for audio books. Sunday is packing, preparing food. And Monday is travel day to the Owyhee area eastern Oregon. Any tips about boondocking (2 travel days - back & forth, and 5 days camping)
Old 04-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #1777
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
...Any tips about boondocking (2 travel days - back & forth, and 5 days camping)
You aren't a boondocker if (1) a guy can't take a shower in one gallon and a woman in 1-1/2, (2) you can't make a battery last 5 days and (3) you look on your public lands map and park on the farmer's side of the road. Item 3 will get you a rude awakening, from personal experience.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #1778
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It's Friday (but when you're retired you can never be sure of the day without a calendar anyways) and I am soooo pleased that in only 12 more days we will have moved three hours closer to Henri, our Sov.

This means that day trips for either just laying about or serious work details will be possible, and v-e-r-y likely...

Zep, you gotta start a thread on boondocking: "You Might be a boondocker, if..."

Or I suppose the opposite is also good; "You aren't Really a boondocker if..."

Laughed hard when I read "item 3"