Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What kind of bathroom layout would you like?
Rear bath and shower 55 25.46%
Side bath and shower 85 39.35%
Rear wet bath 5 2.31%
Side wet bath 8 3.70%
Separate Shower area 56 25.93%
Separate Sink area 18 8.33%
No bath 6 2.78%
Other - please elaborate 10 4.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2004, 12:35 PM   #1
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Is there a perfect bathroom?

What works best and why? We have found that the shower in our Argosy is great for storing large items, chairs, guitar cases etc. but completely useless for it's intended purpose. Space around the toilet is in short supply as well. The toilet is squished in right next to the sink cabinet and there isn't enough room to move. Are there better arrangments?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 06:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We've been out only once with ours so far, but I thought our center "hall" style bath worked well. I didn't recognize it in your listings above so if you can vote ours, from my description, please do. We have a roomy shower on one center side with shower door. On the opposite side is a vanity with storage above and below-small sink. Next to that at a slight angle toward the center is the toilet. Between these is the "hall" that leads from the galley to the back queen bedroom. Sliding doors are on both the galley and bedroom side-easy to open or close. The hall area gives plenty of room for drying off or walking through. I cannot imagine a nicer layout for the bath. It gives good separation from the front public areas of the AS to the privacy of the back bedroom. You asked. . .I've tried to describe. I just don't know how to vote!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:17 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I like the side bathroom

I have 2 bathroom requirements... first that use of the bathroom doesn't cut the trailer in half, and second that the shower is available for the litter box. Glass shower doors are out for that reason.

The side bathroom in my 25 is tight, but it is about the only model that fills these requirements.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 07:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Is there a perfect bathroom?

One of the reasons that I was constantly attracted to Airstreams was the large, comfortable rear bath common to the Vintage units. No other manufacturer that I investigated offered a coach with as generously proportioned bathrooms as the Vintage Airstreams. Even my 6.0 Metre Minuet has an amazingly large and comfortable bahtroom - - no tub, but the shower is quite workable. Even after touring nearly every new Airstream model displayed at various WBCCI functions, I wouldn't consider changing from my rear bath equipped units. Even having rear end separation repair issues on the Overlander hasn't dissuaded me from my preference for its wonderful floorplan.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 12:27 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
I have a 27 Ft with rear bath
I think that the rear bad takes up a lot of space for the short time you use the badtroom
Most campgrounds have verry clean showers when its to dirty I go to other campground
For us a toilet and a basin would have been enough
trailor is in to good shape to reconfigurate

Remco The Netherlands
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:46 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I love the rear bath found in the current 19' and 25' Safari and CCD line. I really like even more the larger bathroom in the 30' Safari. True it is a bit cramped using the head, but the shower is very roomy and we love having a dinette. Most cases on the current 25' line that we like, that have the side bath, there is no dinette. There is a side bath and dinette on the 28 foot Safari which is a nice setup, but that has a combined gray/black tank which we didn't like at all.

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:22 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
25' side bath

The 25' side bath is definitely tight for clothes changing; I do that mostly in the bedroom which is a lot roomier. My only complaint is that I am a wide-body and I have to turn sideways and suck in my gut to get in and out of the shower. I could improve this a lot by taking out the door and putting in a shower curtain, but I do like the self-squeegeing shower door.

Storage space, towel bars, medicine cabinet space, and counter space in the 25' bathroom is very adequate. My big complaint on the 22' corner bath was that there was no counter or storage space and only a very small towel bar and a hand-towel ring.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 10:08 AM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
My preference would largely depend on the trailer size. In a 25ft or smaller trailer, a rear wet bath is ideal for us, as we prefer galley and front room space over a large bath.
In trailer over 25ft, I would prefer a rear bedroom and a side bath.
Side bath/rear bedroom models at or under 25ft. have too little galley/living space for us.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Split Side Commode/Shower.

For a unit with enough room for a separate bedroom, I think the mid bath (shower on one side, commode on the other) works best.

Most units with a mid bath are configured weth a "double door" (door into the bedroom, additional door or means of isolating the the commode/shower area from the front area).

If the front sleeping area is occupied (either entertaining or sleeping), the "double door" arrangement affords additional privacy and noise isolation. Sort of like a dormitory suite that shares a common bath.

As you get older, you appreciate this more and more.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:32 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
The side bath is just right for us. With 3 little ones and 2 adults we would never be able to get to the bedroom. Besides on the 71 int we had at 6'3'' I had to hunch over to do anything in there and takeing a shower on your knees hurts
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:07 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

i went on a diet

really like the big rear bath in the overlanders
like he said its worth frame separation and rats to have a big bathroom especially if you are going to be spending a lot of time in there
eaglerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:01 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

The rear bath layout of the vintage trailers rules!!! And if anyone likes anything other than this layout, then they are just "wrong"!!!

The thing that I always find lacking in rear bedroom designs is storage space. Sticking a bed at the back of the trailer with an end table on either side is nice, but it takes away valuable space for dressers or wardrobe closets. If you are only using your trailer for weekend use or quick trips, this is fine, but if you are planning to fulltime then this storage space is a necessity. And I have yet to see more storage space than what is in a 31' rear bath, midship double bed arrangement. But then again, I am a bit of packrat.

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Actually at first I liked the idea of a rear bedroom, but in terms of storage it limits you. I don't really like the idea of storing everthing under the bed as this will stack up on the rear end weight thus reducing the tounge weight, plus adding stress to the frame.
Because of all of this I now think the rear bath is the best idea. However, I do feel that they could take the battub and toss it as it is really only good for a child. I think the creation of a nice roomy shower and a nice roomy toliet with the sink still centered as it is in my model would be best.
Since I have to do a floor repalcement back there and will be removing everything from the back I am considering loosing the bathtub and going with a nice roomy shower instead. These plans are still up in the air, but these are my thoughts as of this moment.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 05:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Being on our third A/S I'll have to vote on the rear bath. However, I like the sound of the middle bath as maxandgeorgia have described in their posting!

Also, I enjoyed touring maxandgeorgia's trailer at Moraine View, very nice unit!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:57 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Skunk at the garden party

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglerab
really like the big rear bath in the overlanders
like he said its worth frame separation and rats to have a big bathroom especially if you are going to be spending a lot of time in there
RATS ?? Is there something significant about RATS and rear baths? I have always thought anyone tying up the bath when I needed in there was a rat.
Is there a design flaw that lets the critters in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG
However, I do feel that they could take the battub and toss it as it is really only good for a child. I think the creation of a nice roomy shower and a nice roomy toliet with the sink still centered as it is in my model would be best.
Since I have to do a floor repalcement back there and will be removing everything from the back I am considering loosing the bathtub and going with a nice roomy shower instead. These plans are still up in the air,
Amen to that! With all the engineers, architects, design (CAD) folks around the "hobby", seems like someone would have designed a professional conversion (to shower) kit by now. The ABS & fiberglass surround makers should be able to accomodate without doubt. It's workable design that is the holdup I imagine. Remember it has to fit in the door.

Now as to the most sticky dilemmas (or is that stinky). Odor "elimination" and sound effect muffling.
The old joke about Airstreamers not thinking that their's does, althought figuratively true, does not pass the smell test literally.

As uncomfortable a subject as it is, it is a concern and worry of many RV users and actually keeps some prospects from getting into the "hobby".
This according to items I have read at general RV forums. With many age 50 and older folks having problems with Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Chrohn's problems among others, the sad subject needs "airing".

Personally Sugar and I marinate everything we cook in VanillaExtract and substitute any liquid in all recipes (including Iced Tea) with Brandy. This lifestyle will make you not care what you sound like since you just smell so damm good. However I keep an old English foxhound horn next to the toilet for good measure. Plus I can alert the quartermaster if I'm short of supplies.
roadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:27 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Perfect Bathroom

I'm with Kevin on this one. Not only do we love the big rear bath, but also all of the storage for towels, etc. It makes a great dressing room!

Don
69 Overlander
WBCCI 7287
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:41 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

we have no room, we have no shower, we have no tub, we have no bathroom sink !when you walk into a 1957 bubble your rear bed is allmost in front and your front bath is allmost in the rear , which leaves very little middle ! but we love it. our caravell was set up nicely with a rear bath and we loved it. maby we just love our airstreams and accept there shortcomings like we do with our old friends. our comode only setup is handy at night when cindy doesn't want to wander the campground, we consider it cozy not cramped. we stay at campgrounds with clean restrooms or we move. we eat our for all our meals ! you guys see where i'm going ? i don't have to do dishes or clean the toilet that often !
it works for us but not for everyone. roger n cindy
roger n cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

There are those who think the wet bath is an issue. For us, it is really a great setup. We mostly dry camp so we are not into luxurious long steaming showers while hooked up to city water and sewer. We soak ourselves down with the combo sink/shower nozzle, lather up, and rinse. On the way out, wipe down the bath. No muss, no fuss. Simple.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
We've been out only once with ours so far, but I thought our center "hall" style bath worked well. [Edit] We have a roomy shower on one center side with shower door. On the opposite side is a vanity with storage above and below-small sink. Next to that at a slight angle toward the center is the toilet. Between these is the "hall" that leads from the galley to the back queen bedroom. Sliding doors are on both the galley and bedroom side-easy to open or close.
I didn't vote because I've long suspected that the layout referenced above would be my preference. I've not used one, however, so I can't be certain.

We have a side bath in our '85 25', possibly identical to that in the current models. Its main attraction is that it is not in the back; we have some separation between the "living" and "bedroom" areas - something not easy to accomplish in the space available. Since we also have the unusual "full" corner bed we get both an extra full size wardrobe and a credenza with four large drawers, so storage space is excellent.

The bath itself is quite usable. The shower is plenty large, the counter space is great, and the toilet space is adequate. The venting is very good. Changing clothes inside the bath should only be attempted by a trained professional, however. If the shower were across the hall with folding partitions to close off the area, this would not be a problem. Of course, bedroom access would be restricted, so you win some you lose some.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:14 AM   #20
Gary & Lurleen

Mid Bath

I also have a mid bath on my 32 excella. We had looked at trailers with the side baths but the bath was so small. On ours the shower is large enough for compfort ( I am 6'1" so I use the shower seat.) and the vanity and sink area are large and the commode leaves enough leg room for compfort.
DJbyRequest is offline   Reply With Quote