View Poll Results: What kind of bathroom layout would you like?
Rear bath and shower 55 25.46%
Side bath and shower 86 39.81%
Rear wet bath 5 2.31%
Side wet bath 8 3.70%
Separate Shower area 55 25.46%
Separate Sink area 18 8.33%
No bath 6 2.78%
Other - please elaborate 10 4.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2004, 06:57 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Skunk at the garden party

Originally Posted by eaglerab
really like the big rear bath in the overlanders
like he said its worth frame separation and rats to have a big bathroom especially if you are going to be spending a lot of time in there
RATS ?? Is there something significant about RATS and rear baths? I have always thought anyone tying up the bath when I needed in there was a rat.
Is there a design flaw that lets the critters in?

Originally Posted by JohnG
However, I do feel that they could take the battub and toss it as it is really only good for a child. I think the creation of a nice roomy shower and a nice roomy toliet with the sink still centered as it is in my model would be best.
Since I have to do a floor repalcement back there and will be removing everything from the back I am considering loosing the bathtub and going with a nice roomy shower instead. These plans are still up in the air,
Amen to that! With all the engineers, architects, design (CAD) folks around the "hobby", seems like someone would have designed a professional conversion (to shower) kit by now. The ABS & fiberglass surround makers should be able to accomodate without doubt. It's workable design that is the holdup I imagine. Remember it has to fit in the door.

Now as to the most sticky dilemmas (or is that stinky). Odor "elimination" and sound effect muffling.
The old joke about Airstreamers not thinking that their's does, althought figuratively true, does not pass the smell test literally.

As uncomfortable a subject as it is, it is a concern and worry of many RV users and actually keeps some prospects from getting into the "hobby".
This according to items I have read at general RV forums. With many age 50 and older folks having problems with Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Chrohn's problems among others, the sad subject needs "airing".

Personally Sugar and I marinate everything we cook in VanillaExtract and substitute any liquid in all recipes (including Iced Tea) with Brandy. This lifestyle will make you not care what you sound like since you just smell so damm good. However I keep an old English foxhound horn next to the toilet for good measure. Plus I can alert the quartermaster if I'm short of supplies.

roadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:27 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Perfect Bathroom

I'm with Kevin on this one. Not only do we love the big rear bath, but also all of the storage for towels, etc. It makes a great dressing room!

69 Overlander
WBCCI 7287

Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:41 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
we have no room, we have no shower, we have no tub, we have no bathroom sink !when you walk into a 1957 bubble your rear bed is allmost in front and your front bath is allmost in the rear , which leaves very little middle ! but we love it. our caravell was set up nicely with a rear bath and we loved it. maby we just love our airstreams and accept there shortcomings like we do with our old friends. our comode only setup is handy at night when cindy doesn't want to wander the campground, we consider it cozy not cramped. we stay at campgrounds with clean restrooms or we move. we eat our for all our meals ! you guys see where i'm going ? i don't have to do dishes or clean the toilet that often !
it works for us but not for everyone. roger n cindy
roger n cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:52 AM   #18
Arr, we captain our ship!
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
There are those who think the wet bath is an issue. For us, it is really a great setup. We mostly dry camp so we are not into luxurious long steaming showers while hooked up to city water and sewer. We soak ourselves down with the combo sink/shower nozzle, lather up, and rinse. On the way out, wipe down the bath. No muss, no fuss. Simple.
Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
We've been out only once with ours so far, but I thought our center "hall" style bath worked well. [Edit] We have a roomy shower on one center side with shower door. On the opposite side is a vanity with storage above and below-small sink. Next to that at a slight angle toward the center is the toilet. Between these is the "hall" that leads from the galley to the back queen bedroom. Sliding doors are on both the galley and bedroom side-easy to open or close.
I didn't vote because I've long suspected that the layout referenced above would be my preference. I've not used one, however, so I can't be certain.

We have a side bath in our '85 25', possibly identical to that in the current models. Its main attraction is that it is not in the back; we have some separation between the "living" and "bedroom" areas - something not easy to accomplish in the space available. Since we also have the unusual "full" corner bed we get both an extra full size wardrobe and a credenza with four large drawers, so storage space is excellent.

The bath itself is quite usable. The shower is plenty large, the counter space is great, and the toilet space is adequate. The venting is very good. Changing clothes inside the bath should only be attempted by a trained professional, however. If the shower were across the hall with folding partitions to close off the area, this would not be a problem. Of course, bedroom access would be restricted, so you win some you lose some.

j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:14 AM   #20
Gary & Lurleen
Mid Bath

I also have a mid bath on my 32 excella. We had looked at trailers with the side baths but the bath was so small. On ours the shower is large enough for compfort ( I am 6'1" so I use the shower seat.) and the vanity and sink area are large and the commode leaves enough leg room for compfort.
DJbyRequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:31 PM   #21
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Originally Posted by Xray
There are those who think the wet bath is an issue. For us, it is really a great setup. We mostly dry camp so we are not into luxurious long steaming showers while hooked up to city water and sewer. We soak ourselves down with the combo sink/shower nozzle, lather up, and rinse. On the way out, wipe down the bath. No muss, no fuss. Simple.
I agree. I'd say, 25ft or smaller, wet bath is ok. 25ft or bigger, rear or mid bath is ok.
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
North Central , Texas

A perfect bathroom for us would be 2 (two) 'his' & one 'hers' ...on second thought, maybe 2-1/2 baths, that way the make-up could stay un-packed during longer stays. . Boy am I dead if Debbie reads this.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:57 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Originally Posted by remcolent
I have a 27 Ft with rear bath.I think that the rear bad takes up a lot of space for the short time you use the badtroom. Remco The Netherlands

I don't know about you Remco, but I spend a lot more time in the bedroom than I do in the bathroom . Though I think that having the commode and shower on opposite SIDES of a trailer seems like the ideal layout, between my rear-bath 28' and my mid-bath 29' I much prefer the mid-bath. Also, if I happen to be sitting with my elbows resting on my thighs, I don't like having a wall or door within inches of my forehead. Not the case in my Excella. Man, I need headroom . Besides, why waste (what should be) the money views, in a room where one would most often keep the shades drawn anyway because of the need for privacy.
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:46 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Mid bath walk-thru with private commode.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:45 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Most of the compromises mentioned so far: weight distribution, room to move, smells, water vapor and so on, simply disappear when you move it all outside.

For some this means only staying at premier resort type parks and only using the permanent facilities, but that is not what I am talking about here.

In Texas the weather is suitable for outside showering about 8 months out of the year and other business can be conveniently be accomplished about ninety percent of the days. You can extend the hot/cold water supply from the inside pretty easily, or use the solar hanging showers. Privacy can be an issue, but it is easier to hang a curtain than remodel the inside bath to taste. Or shower in a swim suit. After all, aren't they also called "bathing suits?" Where I usually camp, even that isn't really necessary most of the time.

This doesn't work so well in the winter, or the far north, but then you have the built-ins to use as a fallback "emergency" bathroom.

Btw, I see this is one of the ancient threads that have recently been revived, but I didn't chime in the first time around and the topic still seemed interesting.
bobechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
perfect except in cold weather

no fan needed either
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RivetED2.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	13122  
"would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?"

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member
rockwall , Texas
We just purchased a '95 classic 34 ft airstream with a side bath. It is a must to take out the glass shower door and replace with a curtain. Otherwise we like.
trailseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #28
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and to Airforums! We're happy to have you as a new member.

One thing: why is it a must to take out the glass shower door?

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote