Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
Colohome

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Interstate or Flying Cloud 25?

We are new to RVing and trying to decide between the trailer and the Interstate RV. Thoughts or suggestions appreciated. We have researched both and driven the interstate. And, have compared layout and function. Just not sure which would be best for travel and camping.
Jham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Both are nice units in their own way. It really depends on your camping lifestyle. That includes the drive to/from and what you do there. We like dropping the trailer and venturing into the local area on short trips during the day and spending evenings relaxing in or around the campsite. We can bug out quickly in the mornings without messing with the bed, dishes, etc., to catch a sunrise view for example. In the Interstate you take everything everywhere.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
In the Interstate you take everything everywhere.
I spent over a year that way, having to break camp every time I needed to go anywhere. Then I started pulling a small toad behind my Interstate. That gave me more options to explore my new surroundings without breaking camp.

You could instead carry bikes on a hitch-mounted rack, or even a Vespa if you like since they make hitch racks for scooters as well.

The point here being, you're not necessarily limited by "take everything everywhere" if you buy an Interstate.

I have to be careful here. I own an Interstate, and I like it, but that doesn't mean it's the best choice for everybody. So trying to be more fair and impartial…

Right from the beginning of my RV shopping I had my heart set on a Sprinter-based B-van. At first it didn't matter which brand; I was willing to test-drive them all until I found the right one. It just happens that for me the Airstream Interstate was the right one.

I never even considered a trailer. Part of it was practicality, believe it or not. I could buy a B-van and start using it from Day 1. If I bought a trailer, I'd also have to buy a tow vehicle (my daily driver at the time would have been a lousy tow vehicle) and a WD hitch, and a bunch of other stuff, before I could even get the trailer off the dealer's lot. So one could say the B-van gave more instant gratification.

If you already have an acceptable tow vehicle, the decision is pretty much made for you in the other direction; it will always be more practical to buy a trailer to fit your current tow vehicle, than to buy a motorhome that makes your tow vehicle redundant.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:35 AM   #4
Colohome

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
Thanks for your observation; very helpful. I guess I've had my heart set on the Sprinter as well, but the trailer seems more suited to camping while the Sprinter seems more suited to travel and spontaneous exploring (parking in towns, doing U-turns, etc). The main drawback we see is the getting around once we've reached a place we will stay for several days. We have our bikes which helps; and the Vespa is a great idea. BTW, Our camping to this point has been tent camping.
But practicality speaks loudly. We have a 2006 Range Rover which we think will pull the Flying Cloud OK with a WD hitch.
Tough decision, so these comments from all are very helpful.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:45 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve by entering the world of RVing.

We are trailer people, but have at several junctures, considered other RV routes including the Class B's. Each time we have traded our Airstream trailers, we have seriously considered the Airstream Interstate.

The Interstate provides flexibility and comfort in many situations. It is easy to park and maneuver. It would be great for travel and provides lodging when visiting friends and relatives as the Interstate is easily parked in just about any driveway.

The interstate limits what you can carry along with you. This is a good thing as you don't need a bunch of stuff to have a rewarding RV experience.

RV travel has been a great retirement lifestyle for us. Over the past nine years, we have spent over 1,500 nights camping in our RV and have covered 140,000 miles seeing and enjoying the sights of the great country. We have had the time of our lives, and hope to continue this lifestyle for many more years.

We plan to continue with our trailer for the time being, but are still open to changes in the future. Our 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB is our third Airstream. it provides us with an on-road life style that is very comfortable for long RV trips. We sometimes stay gone from home for three months or more.

What we would like is to travel in an Interstate and have our 25FB to stay in at night.

Best wishes in your choice. Either way, just get yourself out there on the road.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Silsbee , Texas
If you travel with a Pet, leaving them in a trailer connected to shore power and climate control should be considered also.
Craig Schrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree with others here.....it really depends on what you want to do.

We spent our first years 5 or so years of retirement moving almost every day when on the road, anxious to see everything.

We had the absolute time of our lives.

We never found breaking camp too difficult, even when we took a few days to be still, as we didn't carry or set up things like a screen room. Chairs outside and the awning were basically it, and we learned early on to roll the awning in at night , so that was already done in the am. Doug would usually bag the chairs up in the evening, too.

If you keep your tank filled with fresh water, rather than pulling out the hose and hooking up to campground water, getting out to sightsee only requires unplugging the electricity, putting the antennae down, removing your window covers and putting up anythng in the galley that could fall.

By myself, I can still do this in 10 minutes or less.

Taking the Interstate with you means your pet is not left behind, has their comfy spot, food, water, etc., too, and you can walk them in new places.....sniffing is so important to our furry friends.

We wanted to roam and wander, rather than camp. It was wonderful, and having our house on our back was absolutely perfect for us.

Decide what you most want, and go from there.

Most of all.....get out there, see the country, and enjoy yourselves.

Maggie
Old 03-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
We started looking at trailers. But, we only have one small car, and we'd have had to sell that and buy a bigger vehicle with which to tow a trailer.

Then we began looking at the B-vans. Like Maggie, we really wanted to "roam and wander" rather than "camp" and this seems like a better fit for that type of travel.

We've had our Interstate for about 16 months, and we've driven over 20,000 miles. No doubt, this is the perfect vehicle for us.

We love the Airstream trailers, and still talk about buying one someday. But, I have a feeling it'd be to park on our property and use as a guest room, a home office, a music studio, etc..

I do think that trailers are probably more suited to people who like to go camping in one spot for a week. But, that's not us.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My vote is for trailer hands down. More room and storage and the iconic shape. You may already have a tow vehicle. You might be able to buy a trailer and a tow vehicle for what the Interstate costs, and then you would have to purchase a toad to get around in when you set up camp.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Flying Cloud or Interstate

We fell in love with the new Flying Cloud and imagined how nice it would be to "live in" for long trips that we are planning. But then the practicality of driving--we both wanted to be able to drive, park, and maneuver as well as set up and break down camp.

Maybe I'm a wimp, but all of this has always been the "man's job" when we have had other RVs and 5th wheels. It has also become more difficult for my hubby to do the long drives and all the set up by himself, and I truly do not feel comfortable doing much of it.

So the Interstate was our choice. It drives like a car...really. Some wind effect, but not really scary. No real set up except plug in electric and take out the chairs. I can do that! And sewer dump is super easy and clean!

So breaking camp to go do something in the area does require--leaving a sign so your campsite looks lived in, putting away the dishes, and unplugging the electricity, and maybe repacking the chairs but maybe not. We can leave the bed down and unmade if we are in a hurry to see the sunrise, but generally we are already camped to see the sunrise. Only disadvantage to leaving bed unmade is that everyone wants to see the Interstate, and it looks much better with the bed made.

I still wish we had more room to move around in, and am hoping we'll get used to it. But I can take it for a girls weekend, and he can nap without fear (I hope) while I drive. We can park at the grocery store in Pagosa or Santa Fe without having to plan ahead or walk from a block away. And how can I forget the convenience of being able to use the bathroom en route (oops--hope that isn't illegal).

And the gas mileage is wonderful when compared to a tow vehicle pulling a trailer.
camlivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:39 AM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlivy View Post
And how can I forget the convenience of being able to use the bathroom en route (oops--hope that isn't illegal).
As long as the driver doesn't leave his/her seat to answer a call of nature while the vehicle is in motion…
Old 03-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Welcome to our forum! We're relatively new, too, and we've found everyone to be wonderful and very helpful.

With respect to your decision whether to go with a motor home or a trailer, I agree that what will work best for you will be dependent upon your personal camping / travel style. A trailer works best for us, for the reasons others have described.

We're on a budget so, in addition to the considerations others mentioned, one of the things we considered was cost. With a trailer, there is no additional engine, transmission, etc., that needs to be serviced and maintained. And, at least in our state, the licensing tabs for a trailer are a fraction of what we would pay to license a similar sized / age motor home.

We have a Suburban that we use as our tow vehicle, and that's worked great for us. When we're traveling, it offers us lots of extra storage space that we wouldn't have with a motor home. We also enjoy the extra freedom that others have described. Best of all, when we're not traveling, the Suburban is available for all the other things we use it for.

I hope reading everyone's input will help with your decision. And don't worry, you'll have a great time, no matter which way you decide to go!
tintent74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The OP does have a tow vehicle, so that makes a big difference in initial outlay costs.

Camlivy brougt up something I had not.....the need for both to be able to do everything in an emergency. That is an important consideration.

We always wanted a Class B, something we could both manage and drive. I had driven the Interstate probably all of 1000 miles.....out of 146,000....when my husband died unexpectedly 900 miles from home.

This is an important consideration for all couples.

Maggie
Old 03-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We have older friends who own an Interstate. My wife drives their rig for them. Everyone says Interstates drive about like a Chevy Express/GMC Savana or Ford Econoline van.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
To put it in perspective, an Airstream Interstate has exactly the same 170-inch wheelbase as a Chevrolet long-bed four-door pickup, and exactly the same overall length bumper-to-bumper. It's slightly wider than the four-wheel Chevy pickup, but not quite as wide overall as the six-wheel "dually" Chevy pickup. The only real difference in dimensions is the taller height and lower ground clearance. And between the two, the Sprinter even has a slightly tighter turning radius.

That's for the non-EXT Interstate. Obviously the Interstate EXT will be slightly longer than the pickup, but the point is, if you can drive a big pickup you can drive a big Sprinter van.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:37 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Tow vehicle or trailer; or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I agree with others here.....it really depends on what you want to do.

Decide what you most want, and go from there.

Most of all.....get out there, see the country, and enjoy yourselves.

Maggie
I think Maggie very nicely summed up this thread's discussion. The most important thing is to pick something and get out there. The points made about what you can do with a Motorcoach/Class B and a trailer are well made.

What we did was first buy a Class B in 1997. This vehicle enabled us to make quick trips, visit relatives without intruding, and often visit our children while they were away at college. We find that after 3 days or so, the B starts to tire us.

Part of our plan was to get a trailer and use the two RVs together. Similar to the Space Shuttle having a Space Station to go to ! It took us until 2009 to get the trailer, but the combo has worked well. After 12 years, we were able to make trips using the B and trailer. While traveling, we can overnight in the B. Staying at Flying J stops is no problem. If we stay in the trailer, we can power up using the genset in the B. At camp, we leave the trailer at our site, and tour around in the B. It works great and also we can take motorcycles and OHV in the trailer.

I haven't heard many people talk about RVing this way, but it is very possible and costs a lot less than most Class A motorhomes.

For short duration trips, we use the B only. For long duration trips, having the trailer along makes the long trips more comfortable. It works best if you can spot the trailer in a central location and use the B to explore points of interest including overnights away from the trailer.

How to do this: here's some thoughts. 1. If you have a TV now, go with the trailer. If RVing works for you, later you can swap the TV for a B. 2. If you don't have a TV or trailer, you may want to get the B first. B's are great for quick traveling and short duration trips. It may satisfy you for years, alone. We have traveled 1000 miles in a single day in our B. You can't make that many miles towing a trailer.

Our equipment is not A/S. The B is a 1997 Coach House 192 on a Ford E250 ($38K) and the trailer is a 2006 Featherlite SURV bought new in 2009 ($21K). So our equipment purchase is $3300 per year over 18 years and that is if the remaining value is zero. However, they are still worth something, so having a TV Class B and a trailer is not so very expensive.

The expense just depends on how you work it. There are lots and lots of used Class B or Class B+ out there which would make great TVs and perhaps using one would allow you buy a new A/S or a like-new used one. I don't see any reason to have to wait 12 years like we did. In my experience, having a B and a trailer is the best solution to the RV problem.

The most important thing is to get something and then use it !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LostFile_JPG_1099100928.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	234427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Simmon n Wolf at NM CG 2012.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	234428  

Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
For me, and this is only my opinion, but it's really no comparison.

Having walked through several Interstates at shows and dealers, I can only imagine them being an acquired taste; you have to REALLY want to travel that way to be comfortable in such a tiny cramped space. And, I realize that doing that has its own "charm" as I also own a 13ft Scamp. But, the Scamp doesn't seem NEARLY as narrow and cluttered as the Interstate...I could see using the Interstate for going on road trips with the purpose of having some comforts along for the ride; sort of a minivanish camper I suppose with a place to rest and eat. Easy to drive, easy to maneuver, easy to park. But for camping...seems you lose just a bit too much convenience, comfort, and money for not much gained compared to a regular motorhome or a trailer.

A 25ft trailer of any brand is such a huuuuuuuuuge step-up spacewise compared to an Interstate that it's hard to compare. But, any advantages to the Interstate listed above are contraindicated by a trailer. You lose all that convenience and ease of just "getting in and going somewhere quick." But, you gain the fact that you are actually "camping" in the traditional sense, much less cramped, much more comfortable...but with all the added headaches that pulling a trailer encompasses such as towing, tow vehicle issues, hitching up, parking, the whole shebang. But, for me, a 25ft Flying Cloud is a "real" Airstream in that the construction is classic Airstream built in the same factory as the trailers of yesteryear with a clear lineage and not just a van based camper with the Airstream name glued on...no offense to Interstate owners. Airstream trailers are severely expensive, but you DO get some history, style, and unique construction for that money...for Interstates you get a european van that's been turned into a camper across the street from the old Airstream factory for a HUGE premium due to the name alone. Seeing other class B campers, there seem to be much much much better values out there for better made units with TONS more room. They just don't have that Airstream logo stuck on them...if that matters to you. But it DOES matter to some people, and that's a valid point as well. Some people think it brings them "status" and think that others care about such things. Airstream has always sold a certain number of units based on that alone.

For me, I would go with the trailer no question if I wanted specifically an Airstream. If I wanted convenience for short trips and such, I'd go with a class B, but it would not be an Airstream because just a name means nothing to me. If I want an Airstream, I want the classic Airstream construction. But I DO like the idea of a small class B runaround type RV for easy quick trips without all the stress of taking a big rig out.

My 6.7 cents.
RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #18
Colohome

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
You guys are amazing! We are inspired! This retirement thing is going to be good. Your thoughts and suggestions are thorough, insightful and practical. We have no excuse but to do it! We'll let you know what we decide and will definitely stay connected.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #19
Colohome

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
I wrote my reply before I read 6.7. Much appreciated as well. Sometime we will share our extensive research on class B's. We have driven all the top ones (not B+'s), done detailed comparisons of features, function, etc. Our observation is that Airstream has the edge hands down on the quality of the fit and finish. The devil is in the details! We will share our worksheets sometime in case it is helpful as all your thoughts have been.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:02 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I concur with the people who say it's all about your personal style. For us it was the roominess and long lasting quality of an AS. Years ago I was at a conference with a world famous outdoor photographer who said that he had 1 AS, and went thru 10 Suburban TVs during the same period.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote