Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: How much would you spend on a well produced AS restoration instructional DVD?
$19.95 + s.& h. 6 26.09%
$24.95 + s.& h. 11 47.83%
$28.95 + s.& h. 6 26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2006, 11:14 PM   #1
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Instructional Dvd Poll

Having the equipment, facilities and talent available, and constantly working on serious vintage AS restoration projects of various production years, I have decided that it may be worthwhile to the community to produce instructional DVDs for owners. These would be along the lines of "This Old House", showing step-by-step restoration techniques of different aspects of your trailer, covering a wide range of topics.
Feedback please on whether this would be something you would like to see.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Of course....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
Having the equipment, facilities and talent available, and constantly working on serious vintage AS restoration projects of various production years, I have decided that it may be worthwhile to the community to produce instructional DVDs for owners. These would be along the lines of "This Old House", showing step-by-step restoration techniques of different aspects of your trailer, covering a wide range of topics.
Feedback please on whether this would be something you would like to see.
Of course a DVD on your many restoration talents would be most welcome. We are new to Airstreaming with our '66 Tradewind. As we get to know it we see some resroration endevours in the future. For now we will enjoy some travels with it. I am a finish carpenter of sorts but replacing an Airstream floor, installing new plumbing or buffing the skin will take some research...and what better research than pointers from one who has 'been there done...' We will look forward to purchasing an autograph copy.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
They say, "a picture is worth a thousand words" and a DVD is an appropriate method of sharing your knowledge with folks around the world.
So many fixes that we talk about here can be better shown with a photo, video, or diagram.
Go for it!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
Riviting Espresso

1978 25' Caravanner
Boca Raton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ColdEspresso Send a message via Yahoo to ColdEspresso
DIY Video

I think shorter videos covering each area of interest would be appropriate. I am in the television business and just documenting a repair does not always show the viewer how to do it themselves. Proper scripting and step by step written documentation to go along with the video may be more helpful. Most of the "How To" shows on TV do nothing more than stimulate ideas for the viewer. They are designed to showcase the featured manufacturers products and educate the viewers on the features and benefits of that product. Most manufacturers pay to participate in these shows.

Let me know if you would like me to discuss the production with you...
1978 Caravanner
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2009 VW Sportwagen TDi
Rancilio Espresso Machine w/ Rocky Grinder
ColdEspresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Instructional DVD's

Murray, You might also consider doing Dvd's on operation of all systems on vintage coaches and maintenance of them. Step-by-step instructions would be very helpful to new vintage owners. Let us know what you decide to do. Also, let me know what you come up with on our 22'-67' Safari/Tradewind coaches. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
$30 or even $50, but of course it would depend on the coverage and how well it applied specifically to my coach. (1984 310 Limited MH)

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creampuff
How much would you spend on a well produced AS restoration instructional DVD?
My observation on instructional guides such as you suggest is to set the price high ($68.99 or better) as the people who will pay a lot will probably enjoy their purchase but never actually do anything the DVD outlines - They like to read about this stuff, but not actally do it. You have made your money, they're happy, so no big deal.

If you are interested in helping other people, figure out how much it will cost to market your training guide, and word your pitch accordingly.

Either approach will probably see you with unhappy customers, so decide now what you would like to get out of it.
joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Thumbs up We'd love it!!!

We still kick ourselves for not recording the restoration of the AS done on the DIY network. A "library" of sorts would be great; wherein you could order a DVD on plumbing, one on polishing, one on electrical, etc.

Great idea !!!! Just don't wait too long - we'll be finished!

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #9
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Wow- sounds like I better get the DV cam rolling! Thanks for the comments so far.
Mario- I agree, most DIY shows are only a front for manufacturers. Nobody will be providing product here but me, although a list of where to acquire materials will somehow be relayed. Thanks for your offer to help- we'll see where this goes.
BigEd- I think operations and maintenance are great suggestions.
Guy99- Sorry bud but MoHo's are way off my radar. All my knowledge and experience so far is on vintage TT's. ( even though I'd like your $69.99!!)

Actually we'll be documenting a front window replacement this week as the first item, on my '67 Safari. I lent it to some friends as a guest house for a week and the night before I went to tow it back he decided to weed-wack the lawn- bingo, one original Corning window in a million pieces on the driveway!! KIDS- DON"T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!
The 'library' format is a good suggestion and that will probably be the way we go. Some topics obviously will require an entire episode- other simpler ones will be grouped into one.
All comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Keep 'em coming!
AIR #189

Old 07-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67
Great idea !!!! Just don't wait too long - we'll be finished!
Don't kid yourselves- you are never "finished" when you own a vintage trailer!!
AIR #189

Old 07-05-2006, 11:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Since I don't have a vintage trailer, I'd like to see some videos on general maintenance that would apply to all Airstreams.

For example, a video on checking/replacing brake pads and repacking wheel bearings should be of interest to many of us. It should also show how and where to jack the trailer for maintenance.

Another video that address ideas on running and hiding wiring to add speakers, video connections, additional DC power, upgrading sound, installing DVD, etc. would also be of interest (at least to me).

Maybe a video on maintenance on the electrical / propane / water systems. Winterizing / check for gas leaks / battery maint, etc.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Somewhere on , the East coast
Newbie video clips

We are new owners and even though we have the owner's manual, it is sometimes hard to visualize procedures. I have been thinking about how helpful short video clips would be for us as we check through all the systems. We did not have the benefit of buying from the dealer so we had no demonstrations. (And one of us is techology challenged.)

Since this is a knowledge sharing forum I imagined something free, provided by those willing to contribute. I suppose it would be too much to ask to have a library of clips, since storing on a server may be a problem? Not sure of all the difficulties with providing such a thing but it would be an immense help for owners for years to come.
dijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

If tags don't bother you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijer
...Since this is a knowledge sharing forum I imagined something free, provided by those willing to contribute...
Good point.

Creampuff - If/when you make an instructional DVD available, you may be treated to having Commercial Vendor added to your user ID.
joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Murray,

How about doing short pieces in the form of a video podcast? If you've got the bandwidth to handle the traffic, that may be the way to go. Later, when you have enough video podcasts to edit into a full-length dvd, then the task could be easier. Also, with video podcasts you could get your work out sooner and get feedback on what people like and dislike. In that way, you could plan your next snippets.

Having a video podcast site might also be a way to get other people to contribute to the effort thereby enhancing the project.

You might want to contact Rich (aka Gadget) at his blog site for advice. http://hikenbike.net/wordpress/

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:11 PM   #15
Sheepcamp

1957 26' Overlander
Lynnwood , Washington
Thumbs up

I am a new owner, anxious to get started and I've been looking for something like that and haven't been able to find anything.

PLEASE, please, do it!!!

I agree that segments would probably be a more practical way to go. I would like to see a price around $25 but would be willing to pay more and hopefully avoid some mistakes that I'm sure will be frustrating and expensive.

Good Luck, and Thanks!
sheepcamp is offline   Reply With Quote