Old 02-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #99
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Thanks for the input Rick...I really meant this to be a positive improvement thread, but I know that there is a fine line we are walking. I really would like more option and added feature ideas.

That being said, I know that QC is important to all of us including the mothership...maybe we can all work together to make a more quality product.

Gene

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Fresno , California
Gene...
Hope you enjoy your new "baby"....

"The Older I Get - The Better I Was..."
safarijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #101
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Thanks Jim...yours is doing just fine here on the lot...see you in a couple of weeks.

Gene

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #102
_

. , .
hi bobk and g...

a/s DID allow factory delivery for a while.

many reasons why it was stopped, so you'd have to ask the home office why they d/cd it.

here are 2 reasons....
1. the dealerships didn't like it
2. the factory didn't like it

i like bobkelly's suggestion, and i'm sure as an option this would be perfect for some of us

here are a few issues...

but keep in mind j/c is a very small town.

and a/s is a small rv company.

the service center and the plant are really 2 distinct places...

and a/s STILL relies on the destination dealerships for final inspection and final fit/finish issues....

they should ALL come off the line with better fit/finish,
but for many dealerships the inspection, minor repairs and system testing on new units...
is how they train their service guys.

keep in mind many dealers only sell 1-3 units a month, or less.
and most dealers would really rather sell their on lot inventory, since they own it...

other issues with factory delivery...

who does the brake controller?
who does the hitch?
what if the tv needs other work?
what if one takes off and the 2nd night they have no lights or a leak?

often the financing is completed at pick up, and so on....

many folks are towing for the first time and want a short drive home...

or spend 5 nights in the dealer parking lot practicing, like i did

few are ready for a 1-2000 mile maiden voyage....still as an option, some would LOVE IT!

and there is nothing quite like taking your new trailer back to the mothership for a visit....

some service, upgrades, the tour and free camping...

i love doing that.

cheers
2air'

and a nice museum would be really neat! i'm guessing you've not been to the factory bob?

they have a display.

5-7 amazing old trailers sitting outside.

in the parking lot. in pretty much original (just used) conditon. with an aroma like gramps or farm house.

the factory tour is great fun for any a/s groupie, but having done it 10 times at least...

it is nothing like a honda or merc or other modern factory tour...

a/s is like an old english saddle shop or garmet factory or wagon works.

on tour we walk over tools, around parts, in and out of trailers. ALL while the guys (& 3 gals) are busy building them.

very few modern companies let visitors do that.

it is a reflection again, of small town honesty, matter of fact living and 'come on in' charm...

the only thing polished on the tour is don the tour guide a retired craftsman. don is great.

how long can this last? well they do hand out glasses and ear plugs now...

cheers
2air'

(sorry i got off thread a bit...)

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:13 AM   #103
Rivet Master

Gene, three years ago we discussed the improvements we would like. The 61 posts are at:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...eer-10909.html?
You will see that the important ones remain the same.
Nick.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #104
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I spoke to the factory back in late 2003. The factory would have let me pick up the unit I ordered if I really wanted to do it, but it wasn't their first option and they did seem very reluctant.

There were a few reasons. One, they didn't have propane to fill the tanks, they didn't have the manpower to do a PDI. Paul Sherry RV didn't care either way if I picked it up from them or the factory. They were willing to let me pick it up and take it down the street to them to do the PDI and fill the LP tanks....and give me the typical gear they include with a purchase from them.

Bottom line, if you have the $$, there are a lot of things that are possible when you special order an Airstream. Some things, regardless of $$ are not possible. The only real way to find out is to call the factory and work with them and your dealer. One example I can share with this is that back in late 2003 (2004 model year), the 15k BTU A/C unit was not anywhere on the menu as standard or an option on the non-Classic models. I inquired about it and was told for a slight upcharge, the factory could do it, as it was an option on the 25' Classic line. Unless I asked, I would have had the standard 13.5k BTU unit.

Of course within the last year or two, the 15k unit seems to be more widely used, looking at the new units on dealer lots, which was only in the Classics back in the day......
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Have a 2007 20' Safari SE/LS. One of the biggest complaints I have is STICKERS - they're everywhere. Most of them pertain to safety items and for all I know they're mandated by the gov'ment. My gripe is that there seems to be no attempt to put them on straight. The one in my shower is particularly obnoxious. It is large and apparently is needed for the enclosure warranty. Instead of placing it in the area where the shower head is where it wouldn't look so bad it was stuck right in the middle of the wall - is visible when you open the bathroon door - and it is crooked. Minor yes - but something that could be easily corrected and I'm sure I'm not the only one annoyed by this.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:55 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
to remove stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU
Have a 2007 20' Safari SE/LS. One of the biggest complaints I have is STICKERS - they're everywhere. Most of them pertain to safety items and for all I know they're mandated by the gov'ment. My gripe is that there seems to be no attempt to put them on straight. The one in my shower is particularly obnoxious. It is large and apparently is needed for the enclosure warranty. Instead of placing it in the area where the shower head is where it wouldn't look so bad it was stuck right in the middle of the wall - is visible when you open the bathroon door - and it is crooked. Minor yes - but something that could be easily corrected and I'm sure I'm not the only one annoyed by this.
One of two things will almost always work: WD-40 or plain old vegetable oil.

Take em off and stick them on a blank page in your manual.

Paula
Old 02-23-2007, 11:07 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Venetian Blind Gaps

I've seen several other posts of people complaining about gaps on the sides of windows covered with venetian blinds. The problem is that the bottom hooks used to secure the blinds are designed only for blinds hung on a straight and vertical surface.

There are two solutions - either is amazingly simple.
  1. get bottom hooks for "micro mini" blinds - the micro-mini is has slats only about 1/2 inch wide and their bottom hooks are shorter front to back than regular mini-blind hooks
  2. take off the bottom hooks and use velcro to secure the bottom rail to the side of the Airstream. If you have a "rag" covered inside, it would probably be OK to put the prickly velcro on the Venetian rail - and stick it directly to the fabric liner. If you have a CCD or SE with aluminum interior obviously you'll need both parts of the Velcro.
Airstream should use the narrower bottom hooks to compensate for the curved interior walls.

Paula Ford
Old 02-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Gene -

I wish the fiberglass in our 30' Classic shower extended all the way to the floor beneath the outside of the shower door, instead of the wood that is there now. Everytime you get out of the shower, water drips down the side of the wood, and even though we try to be careful in wiping it off, it's only a matter of time before the wood delaminates or stains.

On the same subject, I wish there was a better drip strip on the inside bottom of the shower door. There are much better designs available to keep more water inside the shower where it belongs, rather than all over the floor.

John
Old 02-24-2007, 07:26 AM   #109
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU
Have a 2007 20' Safari SE/LS. One of the biggest complaints I have is STICKERS - they're everywhere.
I believe that the one in the shower in particular is done not by Airstream, but by the company that forms and delievers the fiberglass "tub". When I was at the factory, they had a whole lot of them in an area on the factory floor, just like fridges, water heaters, etc.

Outside of that, there were a total of 3-4 stickers found throughout our unit, with only one or two that I might suggest the factory put on. Of course, mine is a 2004, and more "cowboy after OSHA" type stickers could be mandated now....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:16 AM   #110
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Gene -

I wish the fiberglass in our 30' Classic shower extended all the way to the floor beneath the outside of the shower door, instead of the wood that is there now. Everytime you get out of the shower, water drips down the side of the wood, and even though we try to be careful in wiping it off, it's only a matter of time before the wood delaminates or stains.

On the same subject, I wish there was a better drip strip on the inside bottom of the shower door. There are much better designs available to keep more water inside the shower where it belongs, rather than all over the floor.

John
John,

Good idea...I have seen this problem before...I will keep it in mind for the meetings.

Gene

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 02-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #111
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
One of two things will almost always work: WD-40 or plain old vegetable oil.

Take em off and stick them on a blank page in your manual.

Paula
Great idea Paula...that 's a good way to hang on to those stickers!!!

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 02-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #112
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Fresno , California
Gene:
How about Airstream posting all there manuals on their Web site as PDF files or providing a CD with all their manuals to Airstreamers. If they posted their manuals on their Web site as PDF files then those who are missing manuals could down load them to their computers or make a CD available for purchase through the store. Even better would be DVD's with employess demonstrating how to operate the various pieces of equipment on the AS. If they did not want to provide the PDF's, CDs, or DVDs to customers through customer support then they could sell them through their store. An example would be the White's DVD I received with my metal detector or the dvd that came with my brake controller. I can play them over and over until I get it. It would not take that much for them to convert all of their manuals, old and new, to PDF files. When I pick up my Safari next week I plan on video taping the person who will explain all the systems to me and then editing and recording it on a DVD so I can watch it when I have a "senior moment".

"The Older I Get - The Better I Was..."
safarijim is offline   Reply With Quote