Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
TV Mount

How about a TV mount that doesn't DROOOOOOP!!!!!

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #82
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Bogfrog and Mr.Turbo,

I know that 2air has had a door of somekind made for access to his tanks...he gave me a very funny account of working on it himself..

The back-up camera option is coming if my info is correct...that is a great feature...as well as the new slide out storage drawers in the back storage compartment on the Classics...another answer to one of our suggestions.

Thanks guys and gals for all your input...I really do think WE can make a difference!!

Gene

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #83
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Oh ...and I think they can retro fit the new drawers for the Classic's with the same storage doors...also how about the new POWER ANTENNA OPTION!!!

Let me know what you think about that!

Gene

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 02-21-2007, 07:22 AM   #84
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
OK...how 'bout some options that you would like to see made available!

Gene

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 02-21-2007, 07:49 AM   #85
Rivet Master

One option I'd like is a corrosion resistant frame and a rot-resistant floor. We've discussed this many times on this forum, but it really is a crucial factor. I would not buy a new Airstream unless the frame was better protected. The dreadful corrosion on these frames is well documented and photographed in this forum, even on a 4 year old Safari. The new European Airstream trailers have galvanized frames and a rot-resistant floor. Why not for the USA market? The USA has a far harsher and more varied climate than my home, the UK, but there I can purchase a corrosion resistant trailer. So how about an extra price listed option:
" A frame and floor that will not disintegrate, $2000 extra."
It could be called the Dynasty Edition, as you could be more confident of passing the trailer to the next generation of your family.
Perhaps anyone visiting a dealer with a view to buying a new Airstream trailer could ask why European trailers have rot resistant frames and floors, but USA ones do not. I'd be interested in the replies. I suspect that the true reply would be that potential purchasers show little interest in such matters.
Nick.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:21 PM   #86
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
One option I'd like is a corrosion resistant frame and a rot-resistant floor. We've discussed this many times on this forum, but it really is a crucial factor. I would not buy a new Airstream unless the frame was better protected. The dreadful corrosion on these frames is well documented and photographed in this forum, even on a 4 year old Safari. The new European Airstream trailers have galvanized frames and a rot-resistant floor. Why not for the USA market? The USA has a far harsher and more varied climate than my home, the UK, but there I can purchase a corrosion resistant trailer. So how about an extra price listed option:
" A frame and floor that will not disintegrate, $2000 extra."
It could be called the Dynasty Edition, as you could be more confident of passing the trailer to the next generation of your family.
Perhaps anyone visiting a dealer with a view to buying a new Airstream trailer could ask why European trailers have rot resistant frames and floors, but USA ones do not. I'd be interested in the replies. I suspect that the true reply would be that potential purchasers show little interest in such matters.
Nick.
I'd be happy with a license plate light that doesn't rust.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Nick's recommendation would be options 1 and 2.

I would like to see a ducted air conditioner option. If you use the folding panels for privacy, it blocks the air flow from the a/c as it is now.

How about moving the A/C off of the roof?

I'd also like to see materials used to reduce the overall weight.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
1969 18' Caravel
Lovettsville , Virginia
I'd like to see a propane fireplace option, such as the ones from Dickinson Marine (the small Newports)...

Bob
takenitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:37 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Airstream ideas...

Well, I am "late" to join this thread, read it through, however. Lots of great ideas and suggestions from many fine folks. As a owner of a 1963 Bambi that has been restored from the frame up (by hubby dear!) I have to first say I love my Bambi. Everything with the exception of the new floor, floor coverings, and all fabric totally new wiring and upgrades with power, and a new axel... is basically original. Other than I am possessed by vintage... here are things I believe are really great:
  • Our Bambi is simple. Everything works simply. The refrigerator works like a charm and has no fans to drain the battery. The heater works nicely and no fans to drain the battery. The water pressure system is as good as at home, and uses very little battery because it only comes on twice before refilling the tank. The stovetop works easily with a match. The bathroom is small, but it all works (hey, you're camping!) When things are simple, less can break, fewer repairs, better longevity.
  • Our Bambi is lighter. We don't have to own a 3/4 ton anything to pull it!
  • Our Bambi has a cute factor of 10!
What would I suggest for improvements?
  • I definitely agree with an earlier post that current Airstream Dealers have some compassion for the vintage. The suggestion that was made to keep a data base of places to find parts, ways to do repair items, etc. would be great! I know when a business goes the extra mile to find information for me... I will go back and purchase from them. I am sure somewhere in the depths of storage the mothership has information vintage people might want!
  • Highest on the list. I suggest Airstream does something about the plywood floor. It doesn't last. If you aren't a do-it-yourselfer floor replacement can mean you would buy something else if it is a used rig.
  • I think the vintage folks are an untapped potential market.
Good luck on your ideas and acceptance of them. Lots of food for thought here in this thread. I found it very interesting to read.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:42 AM   #90
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Options

For a 19' CCD or Safari

1. LED lighting See post:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ens-17392.html

2. Make the bathroom light on a 19' CCD have its own power source. Why do I need a wall switch that turns on other lights that drain my battery... (Note I fixed this myself...)

3. Duct the hot air from the heater to the bathroom. (It gets cold in there.. )
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:05 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Dealer "finder's fee" plus more!

I showed my 04' 22' CCD (at the time) to a colleague and he was very impressed with the layout and space utilization. He's single, so it would fit him fine! Later after we outgrew the 22' CCD, I showed him our 28' CCD upgrade and he was more impressed. After about a year (unbeknownst to me) he ordered a 25' CCD Ocean Breeze 75th Anniversary Edition from the factory.

After I found out about it, I was excited and wanted accompany him to the dealer for his walk-thru and help him in any way I could. I learned (on the drive to the dealer) because I referred him to the dealer, his sales rep told him I should receive a "finders fee" of $100 credit . About a week later(when picking up some parts I ordered 3 months earlier for my vintage Argosy) I learned that from the time my colleague ordered his CCD and received it, the finders fee had changed to $50. I wanted to apply the "finders fee" credit to my purchase of some window rock protectors for my Argosy (a $595 3-part item). That's when I learned the "finders fee was only $50 (unlike the sales rep told the buyer when he ordered his CCD). I was perturbed....but didn't make a scene until I took my rock protectors home and opened them up to find that they sent the wrong parts! Besides that....I was told they were $595, but was charged $620. That's when I lost it.....and called the dealer rep and said I'm pi$$ed that I didn't receive the "finders fee" my friend told me I should get from the sales rep as quoted to him. I didn't get the correct parts from the order I placed 3 months before, and I was overcharged for the parts I ordered........Whew.....calm down! The service department said they would honor the price I was quoted for the window protectors and credit my card, they would reorder the correct part and drop ship the part directly to me, and the sales rep said he would honor the "finder's fee" he quoted my friend of $100.
Now I'm a sort of a happy camper......we'll see if this all plays out! If it takes another 3 months to get the correct part......well..... I may lose it! All these things add stress to owning an AS and dealing with AS reps.
I'm sure they want to keep their clientele happy, but if they quote a price to a client, they should stick by it! I like the service department and know they are looking out for the dealer.....and I sorta like the sales dept....except their is such a large turnover...it's hard to develop a relationship.

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:47 AM   #92
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Hey Gang,

Thanks for all the great ideas...ducted air would be nice...I guess it would have to come through the floor???

As for the Vintage units...as some of you might have read in oterh post...I have bought a 1975 31' Sovereign that is coming in today!!!!

So I'm sure I am going to need some vintage parts myself...maybe this will light a fire under my tail to see if we can get some more vintage info here at our dealership...we'll see how it goes.

Gene

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 02-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #93
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Gene----Here's some input from a new voice on this thread. My experience is with a 2003 22ft CCD. I second most of the points already made by others here. For example, the idea of making the frame & floor as durable as the rest of the structure is a must do. Then a long time warranty of 5-10 years on these items is a low cost item to the company and a great selling point.

I'd like to see safety items such as disc brakes be an option on all trailers that don't have it as standard. Another safety item would be an option to buy increased GVW, especially on the shorter models. My CCC is 286 lbs minus the dealer installed items such as solar panels, second battery, etc.

Two more items that would enhance and solidify the public perception of Airstream as the leading provider of surpurbly engineered and built TT for the last 75 years. A company museum that show cases the 75 year history of Airstream. Many of the premium brands in automobiles have such a display of their proud history. MB, BMW, Corvette come to mind. Then combine a factory delivery option at the museum like the Corvette. Talk about pround owners, Wow. A second related item is support for every vehicle ever built. It starts with one person at company HQ who specializes in locating whatever is needed for a current owner. It could eventually expand to what Mercedes has which is a shop that will maintain, rebuild, restore any of their product. Their second such shop and first outside of Germany is located in Orange Co in So Cal. It is located there after demographics showed the highest density of older models in the US are living between San Diego & Santa Barbara on the So Cal coastal plain. They have a great website for this facility also. This last item is a service that does not compete with the dealer network, but is above and beyond what they are expected to offer. It's priced accordingly and is just what a certain segment of a premium product customer base wants, needs, expects.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:03 AM   #94
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Great Ideas Bob...I don't think they will ever do factory delivery's...they just don't want to get into the retail end of it and to be honsest as a dealer, I'm glad they don't...they really want the dealers to build and maintain a relationship with the retail customer so we can offer the support you need. That being said...you can go to the factory while your unit is being built and they will give you some extra time with you unit for pictures and stuff...2air watched his being built and took some great photos of the different stages.

Gene

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 02-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #95
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
JDL,

Great idea about the heat to the bathroom...you're not the only one to get a little cold in there.

Gene

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 02-22-2007, 01:52 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Museum Delivery

Gene----A quick follow up. Maybe Airstream delivery and automobile delivery needs are too different for this to be a good anology. I think that the delivery process is similiar enough and the benefits to the Co organization would be great enough to consider it.

The idea of a museum/factory delivery is a pride building thing and in no way replaces the retail dealer and after delivery service at the home dealer. The whole process starts with the local dealer, the dealer places the special order for their customer, the dealer does all the paper/financial stuff and the after delivery service. The museum delivery is a high cost option that includes housing at a local first class hotel, and some face time with a HQ Exec over a nice meal. Very few people actually do this, Corvette may have a few each day, but it speaks volumes about the customer focus of a premium company. It is also used by the Co to expose the Exec to the retail customer and what they are thinking.

Just a thought.----Bob
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:15 PM   #97
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Gene-

Not to beat a dead horse but as I sit here reading all of these posts there is very little mention of what anyone would like to see in product modification but what they are not getting. Yes, a few psots asked for fireplaces and shelves and cables in better places but the majority of posts deal with Quality Control. I feel a little qualified to speak on this subject in respect to our '05 Safari. For the first six months of ownership our AS spent more time at the dealer than with us. Finally after several repairs and attempts of repairs JC sent Tim Maxwell out here and he worked on our Safari 10 hours a day for five days. In addition, we had brought it out to JC for additional work last fall. Through all this I will say our dealer, their service people, Tim and everyone was great to us. We love our AS, have two and looking for a third, but the QC is something out of the dark ages. After spending several days at JC and welcomed and allowed to roam around a little more than I should, I can see many areas for improvement in the assembly process. Being an Operations and General Manager I understand the importance of strong customer support, high quality and employee training. Having been down the bad road of AS Quality Control, I would urge JC to focus on improving their processes. A great group of people building a time honored product but loosing sight of what it means to supply their customers with the quality they are paying for. An AS trailer is a complex asembly of many parts, some from other suppliers and they need more than a white board for QC!

Rick
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:16 PM   #98
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Bob,

You are right...we owned the Chevrolet dealer in Searcy, Ar for 67 years until this past August...Truman Baker Chevrolet... and have had many customers do the factory delivery...they enjoyed it very much...just not sure the mothership is ready to go there.

Gene

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 02-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #99
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Thanks for the input Rick...I really meant this to be a positive improvement thread, but I know that there is a fine line we are walking. I really would like more option and added feature ideas.

That being said, I know that QC is important to all of us including the mothership...maybe we can all work together to make a more quality product.

Gene

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 02-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Fresno , California
Gene...