Old 02-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Is anybody Airrsteam certified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
Every dealer should have Airstream Certified service techs…
And their certificates should be on display in their public showroom and/or offices.
SilverGate
SilverGate has hit an excellent point. The technician that works on any Airstream at every "Authorized Service Center" should be certified, and furthermore, the Service Center should also be certified. I ran across a service technician that "just came from Winne.........a week ago" and was admittedly trying to fix a part of my AS he had never seen before and had no idea how it worked let alone fix it. I am also suspicious of the training the service managers get, assuming they get any. Based on what I have read on the forum, I would wager that the vast majority of service people at AS authorized service centers are not qualified. I mean no disrespect to those hard working individuals in the trade, my comments are directed at management and their obligation to establish reasonable "standards" and train their staff to perform their jobs professionally.

Thanks again for listening (reading).

Time

Old 02-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
I have had a 16' Bambi, a 22' CCD, 28' CCD and now a 34' Classic. I loved all of the floor plans. I did a lot of looking before purchasing each one and thought it would be perfect for us, but in the end needed more space and moved up to a longer trailer. I really enjoy the layout of the 34 - very comfortable and livable - and I spend a lot of time in it. The only suggestion - maybe the 110 outlets could be in more accesable spots for things like vacuum cleaners, etc. Right now I have to plug in behind curtains, or in the kitchen counter top.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #45
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I am waiting for a FB in a 31' length. The 27' is just about perfect. The only thing that could improve it would be for it to be offered in a 31' configuration.
GStephens
Old 02-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorris
OK...any floorplan changes that you can think of that might need to be addressed?
Gene

Thanks for asking:

The 25FB and 27FB were great additions to the AS floorplans. The concept of having the "living area" in the rear as to take advantage of the most typical parking set up, a back in spot with the view to the rear is a winner. The set up also allows for Pano windows on the rear to enhance the view even more.

Now, assuming it is technically possible, what about a slide on the road side where the linear extension of the lounge bench is located, between the refer and the dinette? The basic idea is to increase the living area since these are only 25' and 27' models.

In the same arena, an alternative would be making a longer version FB, maybe a 30' or 31'. Then there would be enough room to have the full lounge and a slide, maybe making the slide the dinette and making the lounge a full time lounge w/o the table.

Just ideas. Sorry, but you asked and Kevbo10 has been training me. And for the purists who don't like slides, I am sorry if I have offended you.

Time
Old 02-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorris
Thanks for all the input...thanks also for keeping most of it positive because I know it's hard at times...we all know QC is a big deal and like I have said before I can tell it is getting better...lot's of the units that we have sold recently have been very well made with no QC problems and that is what I can go by to tell things are getting better...

OK...any floorplan changes that you can think of that might need to be addressed???

Keep it streamin!

Gene
Although there is ample space overall for my wife and me in our 30' Classic, the front couch is somewhat cramped and uncomfortable, and although we also have a dinette the overall floorplan is not particularly conducive to having another person or a couple in our trailer for dinner or visiting.

Therefore, I'd like to have the following: Either a couch with footrests that you could put up, or a couple of those Euro or Lazy Boy chairs instead of the couch. Also, I'd like to have something called a "switchback dinette", where you could remove the back on the front dinette seat, and turn it around so you could sit on the dinette and face the front of the trailer instead of facing toward the dinette table -- something that would be nice for guest seating/socializing, etc. We had this on our prior SOB travel trailer.

Also, IMO they could eliminate the lift-up counter extension which we never need or use, and repace it with a larger magazine rack and/or a shoe rack.

John
Old 02-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #48
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
You asked for floorplan ideas?
This is what we'd especially like: a set of bunkbeds (2 twin size) or even a double set of bunkbeds.

Also nice would be an option to "drop" the oven and just use it as storage space.

We have an 85 excella with no dinette and we don't miss it one bit. We really appreciate having the extra space.

A keeper? We saw a CCD International (I think?) at a dealership and LOVED the skylights. What an awesome thing!

Mrs. RedShed
Old 02-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
How about some shelving options for the closet- such as 1/2 to full shelving as the buyer prefers. Also better water flow controls in the shower- such as the type that the temp can be set by one knob and the water flow controlled by another. A better shower head and holder system. Hot and cold water at the outside shower. Just a few of the small inexpensive changes that could really make a difference.'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
stainless steel hardware is a must whether it is an option or factory standard. How many of us have replaced the rusting screws in our running lights, the rusting hitch clips holding the bumper compartment closed, the rusting over center latches on the outside storage doors only to mention a few.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Floor Plan Ideas? Ditch 22' Wet Bath...

Gene-

The wet bath in the 22' trailers (CCD or Safari..) is a negative, and hurts sales for what should be an increasingly popular size, able to be towed by smaller trucks and SUV's... While it may be neccessary in the smallest Bambi, it should be relatively easy to expand the bath area slightly, either by shifting counter or redesigning kitchen area. Std bath configuration from 19' or 23' trailer should fit into that corner.

I'd also vote for adding 2" to length of beds and a couple inches to width of "Queens" also, but that may turn out to be harder than it looks. As American's get larger, oversize beds might be a selling point in high-end value proposition...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #52
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
WOW!!! Thanks for all the great ideas...the front bed room in the 25' and 27' has moved really well for us...I think the 31' front bedroom is a great idea.

22' CCD wet bath has always been a draw back for us too...one of our slowest moving units...

I'm not sure if they will ever come back with bunks after the 30' Safari...if they made it in a shorted version somehow it might go over better.

The stainless steel screws work very well...we too have replaced many of rusty screws with stainless.

I agree with having your service techs certified...our service manager has been to the Mothership on several occaisions just to stay udated on things.

Thank you all so much for being so positive with this thread...great ideas from great minds must go far!!!

Gene
Old 02-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #53
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
How bout the new hickory interior on the Classic's...do you think the Classic need an overhaul?
Old 02-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Is that a general question??

Gene-

I'm not exactly in the market for a new "Classic Limited", but I am not wild about the wild hickory interiors and dark bronze plumbing look...

I believe the high-end kitchen/decor look now is light woods like maple with brushed nickel/stainless fixtures and appliances. Add in composite wood flooring plus burber carpets in bedroom area, and look would be more modern. COnsider combo's of leather and imitation leather for dinette/couches, as more durable and pet -friendly than fancy fabrics, which many people just throw a cover over... Another alternative wood look would be medium colors, including faux cherry or light oak. Countertops should consider switch to darker granite-looking synthetics, with patterns. Recessed stainless sinks are still with it... If there has to be fabric on the walls, have them be sure it is well attached...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #55
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Great idea! Thanks for the input...I really like that cherry look myself...it just adds a rich warm feeling to me.

Gene
Old 02-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Huntington , Vermont
In defense of the wetbath...

Gene,

I hope that Airstream and the dealers do not ignore those of us who want a new Airstream but also want to tow it with a ½ ton vehicle at most. Many people are drawn to vintage units because they are relatively lighter than recent models. Surely the Bambi line will continue, but I think it is also important to offer versatile units at 20-22 foot.
Not all of us have the same requirements. I love our 22’ CCD. For us, a spacious galley area was one of the top requirements; the 22’ CCD and the 20’ Safari were really the only options available. I often wonder why there is so little counter (cooking) space in the larger units. And then there is the bath, but I really like the fact that our wetbath is completely enclosed and that a minimum amount of space is allotted to it. When camping at sites with facilities, we usually use theirs. When camping without hookups, we still spend a minimum amount of time in the bathroom.
Also, I would recommend that designers consider using the curb-side dinette in other models. The dinette is safely tucked beneath the awning, and overlooks your own campsite instead of someone else’s. The doorway on the 22, however, should have been hinged on the front-side, so that it did not interfere with open windows at the dinette.
Thanks for asking,

Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

http://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote