Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #156
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
External cell antennaes would be great.

I always say this, more family friendly units. I bought one of the few and one of the last 30' Safaris and love it. It is big for towing and it was pricey for a family, but those of us who buy a family unit now will "trade up" to a empty nest unit down the road when the kids stop wanting to go camping with mom and dad. The best feature of course are the bunk beds. No making beds for the kids every night and un-making them for breakfast every morning. Plus, there is room for some of their friends to come along sometime, too.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Airstream needs to start using stainless steel screws in all the tail light lenses, in the area down around the slide out tray in the rear bumper and anywhere else that rust can start. I just replaced all of mine on my 2007 25' Classic because the heads of all of them were rusted. Rust looks pretty unslightly on a $60K plus brand new trailer.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #158
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman2
Airstream needs to start using stainless steel screws in all the tail light lenses, in the area down around the slide out tray in the rear bumper and anywhere else that rust can start. I just replaced all of mine on my 2007 25' Classic because the heads of all of them were rusted. Rust looks pretty unslightly on a $60K plus brand new trailer.
Stainless steel screws made the list!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 04-20-2007, 05:11 PM   #159
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorris
Stainless steel screws made the list!

G
Three years ago we raised this, at post #5, so i hope you have more luck in 2007:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...eer-10909.html

Nick.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #160
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I always say this, more family friendly units. I bought one of the few and one of the last 30' Safaris and love it....The best feature of course are the bunk beds.
I strongly second Minnie's Mate's suggestion. And I'd love to see bunk beds filter down to smaller airstreams.

Learning about the people on these forums - particularly in threads such as http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...med-28488.html - I've come to think of 'streamers as three seperate groups. There are the campers, the mobile 'bed and breakfast'ers, and the vacation homers (I include the fulltimers here...those lucky few who get to live in their vacation homes year round).

Like many others, we are mobile B&Bers. We just need a bed and breakfast big enough for us and our kids to see the sights of wherever we are visiting. Right now our 16' Bambi is just perfect.

But our children will grow and in five or so years what we'll need is a 25' Ocean Breeze with a real double bed, a pair of bunk beds, a dinette, a cooktop and a small fridge. We don't need a sofa, an oven, a 2-door fridge, or vast amounts of storage space. If necessary we can live with a wet bath.

But like Minnie's Mate I haven't seen much in the way of 'family' floorplans lately.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Don't understand why the screws aren't already stainless, or why there is no decent gasket on the running lights to prevent condensation...
Also find the delaminating counter trim a real pain.
And that protruding bathroom door handle would not only be a lot prettier if it was recessed, but it wouldn't grab at us every time we bob and weave down the hallway. (Just normal sized folks, trying to find the beds.. .)
Old 04-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #162
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
Don't understand why the screws aren't already stainless, or why there is no decent gasket on the running lights to prevent condensation...
Also find the delaminating counter trim a real pain.
And that protruding bathroom door handle would not only be a lot prettier if it was recessed, but it wouldn't grab at us every time we bob and weave down the hallway. (Just normal sized folks, trying to find the beds.. .)
Yes bathroom door handle has got me and my pocket many a time.That is a GOOD one to pass to them.

Jimmini

A squarestream family

You at us because we are different.
We at you because you are all the same.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #163
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
The bathroom door handle in the new International's is recessed...It is my understanding that they are going to do this on all units.

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 04-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Agree Totally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDandTTs
Gene,

I hope that Airstream and the dealers do not ignore those of us who want a new Airstream but also want to tow it with a ˝ ton vehicle at most. Many people are drawn to vintage units because they are relatively lighter than recent models. Surely the Bambi line will continue, but I think it is also important to offer versatile units at 20-22 foot.
Not all of us have the same requirements. I love our 22’ CCD. For us, a spacious galley area was one of the top requirements; the 22’ CCD and the 20’ Safari were really the only options available. I often wonder why there is so little counter (cooking) space in the larger units. And then there is the bath, but I really like the fact that our wetbath is completely enclosed and that a minimum amount of space is allotted to it. When camping at sites with facilities, we usually use theirs. When camping without hookups, we still spend a minimum amount of time in the bathroom.
Also, I would recommend that designers consider using the curb-side dinette in other models. The dinette is safely tucked beneath the awning, and overlooks your own campsite instead of someone else’s. The doorway on the 22, however, should have been hinged on the front-side, so that it did not interfere with open windows at the dinette.
Thanks for asking,
I like the wet bath too. It's so easy to clean. Literally hose it down. I've got family visiting and I put them up in the 25 while I'm back in the 22 for a couple of weeks. I'm always wiping everything on the sink side of my 25 FB's separate bath to keep it looking nice. BTW who EVER decided that a great place for the towel bar in the 25 was over the toilet bowl? Brilliant!

Paula
Old 04-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
In the words of Rush Limbaugh (sigh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
One option I'd like is a corrosion resistant frame and a rot-resistant floor. We've discussed this many times on this forum, but it really is a crucial factor. I would not buy a new Airstream unless the frame was better protected. The dreadful corrosion on these frames is well documented and photographed in this forum, even on a 4 year old Safari. The new European Airstream trailers have galvanized frames and a rot-resistant floor. Why not for the USA market? The USA has a far harsher and more varied climate than my home, the UK, but there I can purchase a corrosion resistant trailer. So how about an extra price listed option:
" A frame and floor that will not disintegrate, $2000 extra."
It could be called the Dynasty Edition, as you could be more confident of passing the trailer to the next generation of your family.
Perhaps anyone visiting a dealer with a view to buying a new Airstream trailer could ask why European trailers have rot resistant frames and floors, but USA ones do not. I'd be interested in the replies. I suspect that the true reply would be that potential purchasers show little interest in such matters.
Nick.
DITTO! Yep, I would pay extra for that. Of course at the current rate I'll be buying yet another new one by next year.... (I REALLY Love the 27 FB SE's closet, pantry, microwave, queen bed). Aluminitis. Got it BAD - glad I'm saving so much living in my Airstream.

Paula Ford
Old 04-21-2007, 08:02 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
I just went to Safford RV today...

and OMG I escaped without buying another Airstream!

(Just $40 worth of chatskas like step rugs, dish drainers, replacement bulbs, etc.)

I'm cashing in on another copy of Wanderlust - since there are drool marks on my first one from envious neighbors....

I saw the Ocean Breeze in the 25 FB SE. It is much prettier than it photographs! The cushions look almost white in photos and they are really two toned blue. The curtains are also a deep turquoise pattern - again just a shade or two darker than they look in photos, and the floor is really nice - not the standard wood, looks a little like cork, and should be very dirt friendly. I really thought the "grasscloth" cabinet doors looked hideous in the pictures, but they look quite attractive in person.

THANK GOD they didn't have a 27 FB in Ocean Breeze on the lot! (They have a 27 Safari in that awful green hounds tooth! You know if they'd made the cushions in the solid green and used the hounds tooth only as accent pillows, I'd have liked that color combo.) The salesman did suggest that I could trade in both the 22 CCD and the 25 FB SE for the 27 Ocean Breeze.... OH Stop me! It looks like they finally beefed up the TV bracket so that it doesn't droop, too. (If it had a galvanized frame and a good non-squeeky floor I'd buy it.) Lessee: I want:
  • two fantastic fans,
  • no wraparound windows in the bedroom (dark is better for sleeping)
  • I want the tiny Tappan microwave in the pantry
  • I'd rather not have the skylight, but oh well...
  • I'd like the dinette table to slide left and right a few inches on a track - remember I sew, so extra elbow room for that task is a must. A Colonial Airstream salesman showed the forums a 31 classic that had a table and chairs with that setup in place of a side dinette... WAY cool!
Did I notice any quality issues? Well if you look at the piece of aluminum that is used in the center of the roof, one end is always cut crookedly - by hand... and not a very steady hand at that. Can't both ends be cut with a gilloutine cutter that puts a straight edge on the very visible piece right over the bed where you look up at it all the time?

Ok, gotta go take a COLD shower.

Bye, Paula
Old 04-22-2007, 01:21 AM   #167
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
BTW who EVER decided that a great place for the towel bar in the 25 was over the toilet bowl? Brilliant! Paula
Paula, I suspect that this is a design feature that has been particularly designed for families with small children. When a small child misbehaves, it is made to hang by its hands from the towel rail. Eventually, the child's arms tire, and it plunges down into the toilet bowl. The theory is that this will prove so traumatic for the child that it will never misbehave again. I have six granddaughters, and |I am considering fitting an extra-long stainless steel, non-corroding, towel rail over the toilet bowl in our trailer, so that I might deal with two at a time.
Nick.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #168
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
BTW who EVER decided that a great place for the towel bar in the 25 was over the toilet bowl? Brilliant!

Paula
My wife commented this weekend that the toilet paper holder is in her way when she is dressing in the bathroom of our 30' Safari. She acknowledged that she knew it was put there to be opposite the toilet and in easy reach (quiet frankly, I don't know where else they would have put it) but she said it is in her way. The only other place I could think of would be to put it off center closer to the shower--kind of in the corner so it would still be in reach but not in the center. However, I think it would get wet there when you get out of the shower. There really isn't any other place to put it that I can think of.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote