Old 04-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #127
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi g

looks like several of us would like to see galvanized frames and rot resistant floors...

as used in the new euro models...
I agree. If it adds to the overall life of the unit, seems like a no brainer...... wonder if it's done because of Euro regulations......

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #128
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Thanks for you input Tom...I was going to go in and copy and paste these points into a Word Document and then try to sort them all out...if any of you have any better ideas how to do this let me know.

Gene

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #129
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
SilverTwinkie,

I think that it does have something to do with regulations...I know the width can't be over a certain measurement.

Gene

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 04-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #130
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorris
SilverTwinkie,

I think that it does have something to do with regulations...I know the width can't be over a certain measurement.

Gene
There are no European regulations that require an Airstream trailer's frame to be galvanized.
Nick. (Europe resident)
Old 04-02-2007, 05:20 PM   #131
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Thanks Nick

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 04-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #132
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorris
Thanks for you input Tom...I was going to go in and copy and paste these points into a Word Document and then try to sort them all out...if any of you have any better ideas how to do this let me know.

Gene
Gene, I've found it better to put such lists into an Excel spreadsheet. It's easier than Word if you wish to manipulate the list, put responses in another column, originator of query in another column, reference number in another column, etc.
Nick.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
hi gene, i don't know if you're interested in input about vintage units, but here goes. again, i have to agree about the manuals. there are MANY of us who treasure our older units and although we aren't first in the hearts of the new airstream dealers, chances are we will be first in replacement parts, etc. it would be great if we had a source for any (or all) manuals still available. i'm sure most of us would be willing to pay a fair price for some obscure manual we need that may only be stuck back in a vault somewhere. i know that a lot of these come up on ebay and other places, but they shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. my second point would be this: it would a great help if all of the airstream dealers could recommend a local repair place to do work. an example of this is: a couple of weeks ago we were picking up our 1979 excella motorhome in tennessee and it needed some work done on the engine. thankfully, it was only minor, but the airstream dealer in cookeville, tn. said they didn't even know the name of the shop that had done some work for them! they gave us some clues as to the location of the repair shop, but it seems like it should be common practice, as well as courtesy to have every airstream dealer at least know of a shop that will do repairs. it did have a good ending, but we were just surprised that they hadn't needed a repair shop enough to know their name. thanks for any input you might have on this, cheryl.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #134
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Great idea Cheryl...maybe produce a list of shops in each state that can do the work on these units.

G

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 04-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I agree. If it adds to the overall life of the unit, seems like a no brainer...... wonder if it's done because of Euro regulations......
I'm also in 100% agreement with this suggestion.

In fact, I'd extend this item to include a number of items where the overall quality of our now (almost) $100,000 quality(?) Airstreams are involved.

I don't mind spending a few more $$ for better quality, especially when I'm already committed to spending so much in the first place.

There seem to be oodles and ooldes of really cheap items on our Airstreams, mixed in with some really nice goodies, and it's the cheap things that I remember most vividly...Things like cheap Armstrong vinly, cheap carpet, cheap bathroom fixtures, cheap hickory wood throughout my Classic Limited, cheap drawer hinges and cheap drawer runners, etc. etc.

My cheap plywood floor has squeaked like mad since it first left the factory.

Gosh, I sure wish those guys would spend just a few more bucks putting some decent quality components in these things and making truly first class units.

John
Old 04-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I have been following this thread, even though I am not in the market for a new unit, and I am reminded of Wally's statement: "We don't make changes, only improvements" There seem to be a number of improvements here. Also Wally used his product, I don't know how many current Airstream executives use this great product.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:53 PM   #137
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I am a wanna be Airstream shopper. But I think I have some ideas. I have not read all of the above so if I am redundant...bare with me.

Water pump location......Put a compartment of the OUTSIDE of the airstream with the water pump behind a door with a winterizing valvue and hose. PLEASE STOP PUTTING THE PUMP UNDER THE CLOSET SO WE NEVER KNOW IF ITS LEAKING OR NOT TILL THE FLOOR IS SOAKED. THIS IS A BIGGIE.

Quality controll...Our local dealer says there is way to many items they have to calk, and too many things to adjust from the factory.

Manuals....its been mentioned here I know...but My uncle bought a new A/S last year....it took him forever to get all the manuals for the applicances.
PUT a DVD along with the manuals. Several other manufacturers do this. A DVD with some detailed instructions about important adjustments to HVAC system. AWNING,,ETC.

The wireing needs to be neater. Lay the wires so a person can actually see where they go. This is an industry problem...with a few exceptions. I have seen those exceptions and they do an excellent wireing job thats very neat and secure with marked wireing...and by the way...the best wireing I have seen is on a low volume camper manufacturer. WINK

Put a 3 way fridge in A/S's...So the issue of a long day down the road and gassing up will not be a hassel. Some folks say they are required to turn off the pilot in the fridge to gas up in some states.

I could go on...but enginering ease of service should be a priority. Airstreams are NOT the easiest to work on...they could be and should be. SEE WATER PUMP IDEA ABOVE.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:26 AM   #138
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
Finishes like in the 75th anv. Bambi.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #139
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Thanks for the great ideas!!!

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 04-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #140
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Hacienda Heights , California
Electrical Schematics

Hi Gene, hopefully my reply won't be too late. First of all thanks for all your hard work and dedication.
We have a 2007 Bambi 16ft CCD, and must say that we totally love it, but I have the following suggestions:
1. Bathroom light to be independent (In the closet they use the same fixture and you can turn it on from the fixture itself!)
2. Center light on the Dinette to be independent (the same fixture is used in the back over the bed and it has an on-and-off switch on it!)

I e-mailed Airstream myself and asked them for a copy the electrical wiring schematics so I can you these mods ourselves but never received a response.

These issues are important as they relate to consumption and could help a model as small as ours.
Thanks Again,
Angie...