Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: How much will you spend on restoration, maintenance & upgrades?
$0 - $100 29 3.60%
$100 - $500 109 13.52%
$500 - $1000 137 17.00%
$1,000 - $2,500 200 24.81%
$2,500 or more 331 41.07%
Voters: 806. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2002, 01:47 AM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Spending this year?

How much will you spend this year on restoration, maintenance & upgrades for your Airstream or Argosy?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 08:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Tough question...

This year is high because we just purchased the trailer & have put a lot of $$$ into it to make it "home away from home" (read way off the scale!).

Hopefully the amount spent next year for ongoing maintenance is on the lower end

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:14 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Excessive spending

We are currently in the process of investing way too much money in our 1981 Excella Diesel motorhome. This is going to be our home for at least the next two years so we are not leaving anything untouched. The polishing was one item that may not have been necessary but a polished Airstream is a fantasy that we've had for several years.

Now we are having the Diesel injection system rebuilt and tuned, the suspension upgraded, repaired and an alignment. Replaced the refrigerator, air conditioner and vent fans (every other appliance is in good working order). Installed a satellite dish, new furniture, carpet, automatic leveling jacks, etc.

I retired this year, we sold our home of 27 years and have not decided when and if we are going to buy again. You can follow our progress on our Web page:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rldienst/
dienst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 10:00 AM   #4
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
What kind of stuff will you buy?

Hitch equiptment, interior goods, tires, brakes, etc?

Tell us about what your buying and where. We are trying to gather info to help target potential sponsors.

Thanks,

Andy
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 11:00 AM   #5
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
In my first year and the coach was obtained in relitively good original condition.So far only expenses have been under $500 to get everything functional,but will be buying new alum.LP tanks,replacing running lights ,brake assemblies and gaucho foam and fabric..
Murray
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 11:45 AM   #6

spending this year

Well here goes, my very first post. The last year has brought me two new projects. The first being learning to use a computer from scratch. The second being restoring a 73 31ft soverign airstream. My progress with the compute
r has been very slow and frustrating. Thanks to andy at inland rv my airstream project has been a real pleasure. It has been a real savings in time and money to have the right information and the right part or advice available. Some owner or owners in the past had made repairs or alterations using materials that just were not authentic or pleasing to look at. I hope ,with all the effort it takes, to have a coach that I will be happy to claim as my own. My first choice for proffessional help and quality parts will be inlandrv.
jim c taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 12:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
well went to jackson center and had some service done and stoped and payed a visit to the ruths . for a refinish to the skin .during that trip we spent $8000.00 but in the future i figure maybe $500. if i fix most of the problems .. at 60to80 dollars an hour service becomes a bit pricey.. an 84 rv is like a 80 year old unexpected failures are not predictable.
AL
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 02:18 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Spending

I just want to mention I bought my 79 31 ft Soveriegn 3 years ago and have spent around 4 grand just to get it useable.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 04:05 PM   #9

We have 71 31'Excella. It's mostly in good mechanical condition. We just bought new mattresses/cushion and upholstery. Still need to have them upholstered. Did new window treatment. Need to fix a minor (hopefully)roof leak and loose door hinge. Would like to have wheel covers and new lighting (thanks to all the recent discussion!). Could use a good polish job.
As newbies, we've enjoyed the discussions and learned a lot about our "new" airstream!
Tom and Glenda
popmize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 08:29 PM   #10
jeanarlene

1971 23' Safari
Lake Ann , Michigan
I bought Airabelle, 71 Safari, this spring and rennovation has been slow as I have to hire most of the work. The list of things which must be repaired or revamped fills an 8 1/2x11 page. I've purchased new gas tanks and regulator, new parts for the old stove, weatherstripping for all the windows and the outside panel doors, Vulkem for caulking most of the exterior seams, Olympic rivets, expanding insulation foam, new foam for the beds and upholstery material. A carpenter will be building a dinette to replace the front couch. In the near future I will pay for furnace repair or replacement and an electric jack. Addition of an awning will have to wait until next year. Airabelle has seen hard use and will require mega transfusions of money to get her safely on the road again. I'm trying to keep down the costs by fixing instead of replacing where feasible. I'm keeping receipts but don't plan to tally them until I have the major work done. That way I don't get discouraged.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:09 PM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
$ spent

Short sweet and hard to beat...

$1800 to buy
$400 to ship across country
$1000 to date for work on my baby

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-16-2002, 06:30 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Spending

I guess I am pretty lucky. I just bought my airstream this summer, put $500 into cosmetic stuff (new cushions, outdoor carpet etc). The only mechanical issue (other than the turning signal fiasco) was a leak in the pump, replaced it for a $100.00. We'r painting the frame this winter, my husband manages that. For a 33 year old camper, I think we're lucky! I'll post a picture when I figure out how to do this.
leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 10:13 AM   #13

Smile

My insurance company had an expensive year....4000* spend replacing the front panels, rock guards after what seemed a minor back up error on my boyfriends part. I have learned that minor and inexpensive and Airstream are words that dont go together very often. Uncrinkling aluminum is tough to do!!

Of course this work was done by a dealer, so that could account for the huge expense.... labor rates of $85. and 30 hours estimated time....
99 bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 03:43 PM   #14
Iguana Co-Pilot

1987 29' Airstream 290
Aurora , Illinois
Cost of Maintaining our Airstream

We found a great deal when we bought our 1987 29' Motorhome, expecting to spend much more than we did. A new set of tires was our first purchase. We do most all of the maintainence ourselves.
The inside is in great shape, but we want to have the "Skin" refinished. For those of you who have had this done, are you happy, how long does it take, and where can we have this done?
Old 09-16-2002, 06:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
you can get your skin refurbished at jackson center that is if you dont need any polish work . jackson center doesnt do any polish work. but if you need polish and refinish you can get that done at the ruths in helen ohio. they do good work but they are not cheap. but you will be happy with the work when they finish. i think they have a policy if we cant do it right we wont do it. my refurb is two years old and it looks great.. is is a compliment when a guy gets out of a 300k motor home and he wants to look at a new airstream MH . mine is a 84. he thought it was new.. andy does refurbs but he is in california.. i hear he does a great job also.. i dont have steve telephone no but if intrested i will get it for you.. he has an ad in the blue beret.. i just trashed mine...
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 08:56 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
We are first time Airstreamers. We bought a 1975 Overlander (27') that is mechanically sound but was dirty, dark, corroded, faded and just plain ugly inside.

New laminate ("wood") floors, all new upholstry (including 2 folding chairs to match sofas), new matching throw pillows, all new curtains, all new shades, all new countertops, all new range/oven plus microwave oven, complete repair of tambour doors, vista-view window shades, and new glass in 1 vista view window, overhaul and service of wheels, brakes, AC, furnaces, refer, etc., new blue ruuber stripe all around, wash, wax, new hubcaps, new TV antenna, new paint on tongue, roof AC and logo, new propane tank valves (and propane).....

All done by C&G in Bellflower.

Hope to bring it home this week!!! Built all new tent/canopies for Airstream and tow vewhicle...

Very excited!

$6,500 give or take...
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 10:16 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

'90 Excella 25

Always interesting posts -- Guys and Gals...

Ours is a '90 Excella 25 bought in excellent shape this summer. Immediately replaced original tires and repacked bearings and checked brakes.

Cleaned everything: Steam cleaned carpet to sanitizing tanks. Walbernized skin and near ready to roll. Reese dual cam on order to replace friction bar.

Been outfitting with normal stuff -- Corelle, crock pot, new hoses, 2 Group 27's, accumulator in water line, Sediment and drinking filters, separate filtered water spout. Stuff adds up. Figure I've spent an additional $1200.

Figuring out how to best use overhead sink cabinets for kitchen stuff. May section it out in plastic or plywood layers for dishes, glasses.

Been really up in the air with new EXPY 4.6L and tow package. That was fine for the '63 GlobeTrotter, but not 'nuf comfort under GVWR. Would loose too much on this early a trade. Seems the used 2500 Burbs are very scarce...

Steve
Savannah
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 06:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Jan 2002-Prior to moving in I replaced: 5 tires, brake linings, added Hensley Arrow, both LPG tanks, bought a 13" AC/DC color TV, AM/FM CD Receiver & new drapes.

Feb 2002-Three days after moving, my refrig started linking ammonia. Replaced cooling unit with a rebuilt one.
Bought a spare skylight-you never know!

Sept 2002- new battery

Oct 2002- replaced AC & toilet.

Nov 2002- added new Bear Bed air mattress !! Excellent!

Dec 2002- replaced bath exhaust fan.

Jan 2003- updated LPG kit (Hoses & regulator)

Feb 2003- added Jordan Ultima 2020, replaced brake assemblies and had all 4 refrig shelves powder coated.

Hopefully since most of the major item have been either replaced or repaired, I'll have a few years of lower maintance cost.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 02:15 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Outside of gas to take it to and from the factory for repairs, I hope to spend ZERO.

Of course, she's new and has a warranty-- talk to me in about 5+ years!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs down Labor cost

99 bambi
It maybe too late for this info to be of any value but, I'll post it just in case there's other out there facing a similar problem.
If you could, for example, take your trailer to A/S factory during the winter months, the labor cost is significantly less than 85$ per hour~You might want to call them for comparision~ 30 hours sounds way out of line, when you consider: A/S BUILT your unit in one day~!! True, it was on an assembly line but~!
They'll even let you leave it there until you're ready to pick it up after the work is completed.
In fact, during their busiest times, which is the summer seasons, they only charge 65$ per hour.
Where else can you get the expertises of the guys who actually know your unit and, have hands on experiences??
The keyword here is, call ahead and schedule it.
(just my .02 cent)
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote