View Poll Results: How long have you owned your A/S?
0 to 6months 276 29.05%
7months to 1year 150 15.79%
1year to 2years 156 16.42%
2years to 3years 110 11.58%
3years to 4years 64 6.74%
4years to 5years 43 4.53%
5years to 6years 25 2.63%
6years to 8years 33 3.47%
8years to 10years 24 2.53%
10years plus 69 7.26%
Voters: 950. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2003, 07:59 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

We bought our pride and joy (1972 Overlander) from the original owner 7 years ago. It was all original and everything worked. Now it is almost all reburnished to the way we want it & lord knows how much it has cost. Not that much really but we didn't keep track. We are sure we have put less than the $5,000.00 original cost. It is priceless to us after all.
The 1985 Classic Motorhome 34.5 we have had for almost 2 years now. We are not going to keep track of the spending on that baby either. What we wantto do, we do. Life is way to short to be counting pennies on the fun stuff. Beside it is worth it to have the nutone " Margarita Machine" on the counter and the icemaker below it.
mareinmn

Old 04-20-2004, 01:52 PM   #16
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Thumbs up How long have you owned your A/S?

I have owned my current A/S since December 03. However, I owned my previous A/S for 7 years. I wouldn't have another kind!

Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:45 PM   #17

1977 31' Sovereign
Smile

I got my Airstream in 92. I was in the Navy with two years till retirement when I got orders to Savanna Georgia. It did not make since to move my family for that period of time so I decided to bach. it for those two years. But it was going to very expense maintaining to home even if I rented. I took a short cut home one day and along side the road sat the Airstream. I knew there was campgrounds in Sav. so I stopped to ask the price. $1200 was quoted I offered $900 (which was all I could afford) he took it. The livingroom and bedroom were gutted but it was serviceable cleaned her up and threw things away (that I didn't know better) put an old recliner in the living room and a cot in the bedroom. Lived in for those two years then put it in my backyard and one of my son's proptly moved in till about a year ago. Now I am begining to restore/customize the 77 Sovereign
Old 04-20-2004, 09:31 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Our first AS was a '67 Overlander 26' that we purchased June 3, 1967, kept for 12 years and travelled from coast to coast in the U.S. and Canada. Had to sell it to dear friends because of a career change. . . Always missed it every summer, but still have the pictures [now digitized] and the great memories.

In 1996 we purchased our current Excella, and have mostly gone to the Rockies in the area from Colorado to Alberta/British Columbia. So this will be our 9th summer trip coming up with this beauty, and we're planning to settle in the Beartooth Mts. just outside the NE entrance of Yellowstone for a couple of months.

I learn new [practical and needful] things about Airstreams and their owners from this ASForum on a regular basis, and it just makes owning one a whole lot more enjoyable. I also learn a lot I don't need to know, and sometimes enjoy that even more. . . .

Bud
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
(Bud, I know I am off the thread, but traveling in the Beartooth area have been some of our best trips.) We lodged part of one week in Red Lodge, driving up into and across the range. Last summer, we spent a couple of weeks on the other side, just outside Big Timber, driving up into the Absoroka (sp) range from there. How did you choose the Beartooth? What will you be doing while there for an extended stay? Sounds great!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:06 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
In the 1960's we tented backpacked with our young boys and 'discovered' Cooke City, Top of the World and Red Lodge. We also found the highway [then unpaved] over Dead Indian Pass from Cody to that area. We camped, hiked and fished just a few miles from the pass among dozens of lakes.

Between Airstreams in the early 1990's, G.Marie and I tented across the Northwest and stayed in the same campsite, stirring up a lot of great memories. . . So, in '96 in our new AS we went back again to the same CG and enjoyed a couple of weeks there.

Last year we went back again and stayed for two months [having made some good friends], and our boys, wives and children all joined us for a few days during that time, creating some new memories. . . . We love the peace and quiet, day hikes and picnics, the extremes of the weather at 10000 feet, and all the possible day trips that are available when we need entertainment. And we especially love the people we have met while we're there, and expect to go back this year and enjoy some more of it. Great Fun!
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
Old 05-25-2004, 08:50 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
Thumbs up Great fun

This is our first trailer and we are totally enjoing our practice for future fulltiming.
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:48 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Bud, still curious about the extended time in the Beartooth. Do you stay at a campground up in the range or outside? How do you deal with the altitude? What kinds of activities do you do to fill the days? I assume you must be hikers to stay in this area. Max and I still remember the amazing sight of two 70+ year olds heading out with all the vigor of teens across the high ground and disappearing toward one of the lakes, hiking poles in hand. Meanwhile we panted and held one another up, hoping to continue breathing! Your summer plans sound exciting.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:42 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Georgia, we typically go to Cody for a day or two after our cross-country trip, get some rest, groceries, check our email, etc. Then we use highway 296 over Dead Indian Pass to US212 east toward the Beartooth Pass Summit. There is a NPS campground at Beartooth Lake, and another at Island Lake. We have stayed at both, but prefer Island Lake because of the openness of the location/view. [There are also some campgrounds toward Cooke City, heading west, at lower altitudes.]

Our altitude at Geneseo is about 600ft., so it takes us a week or so to get use to 9700ft., and even then we're none to zippy. We used to be heavy duty hikers, but these days we go on what we call 'long walks,' and there are trails in all directions. [We have good topographical maps to plot our way ahead of time.] We seldom go further than an hour from our starting place, carry some light food, water, camera, and mosquito protection. [They don't seem to be able to carry you off if you weigh more than 100 lbs, and the blood of 70+ folks isn't as tasty]

We also go on combination drives/hikes in the general area. Cooke City, MT is the closest hard wired telephone system. . .and there is a spot about a 1/4 mile long near the top of Beartooth Pass where you can pick up a cell phone signal from Red Lodge, if you're lucky! Internet access is available at Cooke City, and the public library in Red Lodge and Cody. I seldom email anyone when we are tripping, and mostly go through and delete as much as I can over the next two months. Actually we prefer to be away from all electronic entertainment for that time period. . . Its part of our reconstitution for the coming year and the long winter ahead! We don't even take our TV anymore and don't miss it at all. I buy a newspaper every few days when its convenient.

We know of some great places to eat for a special day out, we go to Cody for the day when we need to do laundry/buy groceries/wash truck/visit walmart.They have great medical facilities at Red Lodge and Cody, if needed.

Best of all, we have made friends in all of these places, especially in the campgrounds. There are lots of social opportunities with very nice, ordinary, and wonderfully pleasant people of all ages and walks of life. We still huff and puff more than we used to, but we have a great time of it, and just learn to enjoy the view when its time to stop and catch our breath.

We're hoping to get away by mid-June, and spring will just be underway when we arrive up there!
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
Old 07-08-2004, 03:09 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Newbies, we are not alone

As noticed previously in these poll comments, most people who vote are newcomers, like me, who rely on airstreamforums.com for the vast amount of information available and the help provided when specific questions are asked. This is an immense wealth of information and I plan to continue this support when I am also "an oldtimer" here. PS: Has there ever been a poll on how many are full timers?

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
I too have found the knowledge invaluable! I have saved myself a lot of money and effort being able to learn from others through the forum! I can only hope that I am able to provide that same knowledge for others as they join the Airstream family.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 05:30 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Smile

Another "satisfied customer" here. We have owned our 1967 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath for only a month and a half. Had not planned on purchasing our "retirement home" this soon but the A/S spoke to us from an alley behind a truck on blocks, an old motor boat and what was left of a demolition derby car. It had previously been "well loved" by a family with eight kids and three dogs, who used it as a kitchen and bathroom base on trips to a local lake. Even though things looked good in the beginning.....well.... you know how it is. Hope to get it out at least once before the snow flies. Thanks for all the great information we are gleaning from this forum.

Beth Ann
Old 07-22-2005, 09:20 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

purchased 6/05. Ricky
Old 07-22-2005, 11:33 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
My 2005 19' Intl CCD, 10 Months before trading for the 2006 28' Safari LS, which we have had for 22 days thus far...