Old 09-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Talking I can only hope...

... that others may benefit from my misadventures.

2005 Bambi
1968 Trade Wind
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Crew
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I had one of those "Long, Long trailer" moments many years ago with a Holiday Rambler and my station wagon. I had to back almost a mile and a half down a narrow dirt road so I could turn around. In the dark. By myself. In the rain...

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1

mechanically we have never had much of a problem, but turning on the furnace last year and having mouse fur fly across the room wasn't fun.. and that little thumping and squeaking noise was ewwwww....
I'm just a pink flamingo on the great lawn of life :-)
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #18
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Originally Posted by Xbob2 View Post
Was the Airstream badly damaged?
Yeah and I was ok except for a minor cuts on my hand and face. I pulled all the muscles in my lower back as well.

The Trailer faired pretty well. Mostly thanks to luck and the break away. THe trailer and I did a 180 in the road and were travelling backwards when we hit the side of the road. It was soft and the tires dug in. The truck rolled, seperated from the trailer and the trailer tire dug in and spun her 90 degrees. all the damage was confined to the right rear corner. you can see the rest of the pictures on my website. not many my camera quit working after three or so shots.
You will notice the tires are in the air.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Yikes!!!!! Where was that and when? Hope everyone was okay!
It was October 06 just west of West Yellowstone. I had a long summer flying fires and was taking a break before putting the airplanes to bed for the winter. I had not intended to enter Yellowstone but the campground in Idaho I wanted to go to was closed. I was so close I continued on. I had a nice time in Yellowstone. It was cold and it snowed but it was beautiful.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #20
Silver Spud
2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sagle , Idaho
Great--and enlightening--stories. Thanks to those who have contributed so far. I feel much smarter already, and our Flying CLoud won't be delivered for another four weeks. (I can see me unhitching before going into any gas station that looks a little crowded/iffy.) And avoiding anything close to snowy/freezing conditions while towing!

The Silver Spud
BillB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #21
1996 34' Classic
1996 34' Excella
Locust Grove , Virginia
Wife and I were on our way to Breaks Interstate Park (on the Virginia/Kentucky boarder) and relying on GPS, rather than a real map. GPS took us to a part of the campground that wasn't open at that time of year so we had to turn around and re-trace our route. Instead of returning to the biggest road in the area (State RT 80), we continued down Rt 611 and eventually came to a 180 degree hairpin turn where the front bumper of the truck was opposite the rear bumper of the trailer. 37.243571,-82.324883. The picture on Google Maps for this location doesn't accurately convey how sharp a turn this was. Not only was the this a tight turn, but the road rose probably 30 ft in elevation from entry to exit of the turn. I was deathly afraid that I was going to break a U-Joint or something and we were going to be stuck there forever. The theme from Deliverance ran through my head.
2005 F-150 5.4L Supercab 4X4 (Betsy 3)
2008 Safari 27FB SE (Arvin as in RV'ing)
2010 TREK 2.3

Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Never, ever try to pass a tractor trailer when going down hill.

Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #23
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
When the cat got locked in the AS over the weekend - she slipped in and curled up under the gaucho to take a nap when we weren't watching -

She was in full 'shed' mode, and this resulted in our 'hairiest' event to date...

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
Never, ever try to pass a tractor trailer when going down hill.

Excellent advice (on 2 laners anyway). 80,000 lbs. of tractor trailer plus gravity can get them rolling downhill faster than you can imagine.

Gas stations can be a challenge, but as time goes by, you get better at spotting problem ones before you turn into them. The end pumps are often the best bet. Next Exit is a book that tells you about RV friendly gas stations, stores and restaurants when you travel by interstate. A good investment.

I tend to fill up whenever we are unhitched as it is simpler. We also usually carry a 5 gallon gas can with us for long drives and have rarely used it, but it is good insurance.

Another issue is downtown. Streets can be narrow and parking impossible for RV's. Sometimes we want to stop at a restaurant we have discovered in a tour book and it's downtown. Turning down a side street looking for parking where we can get in and out easily is an adventure, but I tell myself tractor trailers do it, so I can too. It's a different way of driving and you have to think far ahead, but you get used to it.

Watch how the trucks do it and learn from their example. Of course, we have all seen those trucks get stuck in a narrow space and having to back up several times. My time for that hasn't come yet, but I'm sure it will. Venture forth fearlessly, but slowly and carefully. When I first started towing I imagined the rig to be 30' wide, but it isn't and can be maneuvered pretty well through some tight spaces.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote

dead ends