View Poll Results: Got Kids? ....or who travels with you?
Just me 9 4.00%
With my significant other 80 35.56%
We're a family with younger children 88 39.11%
We're a family with older children 22 9.78%
Grandkids 3 1.33%
None of the other categories describe my situation 23 10.22%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Got Kids?......or Who travels with you?

We've been reading this forum for about a month and have gotten a great education on a wide range of A/S related topics. We're still wondering about the demographics of this group as it relates to families. Saw the poll about average age of user, so we understand that the results will be nowhere near *scientific*, given the numerous variables...and the limitation of only 10 options for answers. Here goes, anyway...flawed as it may be...

Forgot to mention, we have two young children.

Old 02-20-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Me, the wife and two Jack Russell terriers.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
another one

Me, the husband, and two Jack Russell Terriers :-)

How's THAT for coincidence?
Old 02-20-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Exclamation

Whenever "Moby" is repaired, it will be me and hubby. However, we plan on taking the grandkids whenever we can.

We are animal-free.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:33 PM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
wife, myself, three children under age nine a pug and a pointer/lab mix.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
The Wife and I. And anyone we talk into camping with their camper. Just invite friends in for a drink and snack
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cool Just me - and possibly a cat

Airstreamed briefly as a teenager. Have owned (or been owned by a too large house and a too busy business for more years than I care to count. I decided to downsize in a BIG way and travel before my bones sieze up. So next Wednesday I go to closing on the old house and move bag and much reduced baggage into a 22ft CCD.

I'll travel for business and for pleasure - and in a couple of years probably buy a small condo and a big barn to keep "Tin Lizzie" in during the cold months.

Paula FORD and "Tin Lizzie" - for those of you who don't know a Tin Lizzie is one of the famous nicknames for a model T Ford.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Can only vote for one so what if.....

A. Most of the time just the my wife & I. (retired)

B. On occasion take our older children.

C. and on occasion take the grandkids.

Garry
Old 02-20-2005, 08:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Go, Girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
So next Wednesday I go to closing on the old house and move bag and much reduced baggage into a 22ft CCD.

I'll travel for business and for pleasure - and in a couple of years probably buy a small condo and a big barn to keep "Tin Lizzie" in during the cold months.
Keep us informed of your travels!

I'll be thinking of you next Wednesday.. hope is ALL goes smoothly.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:16 PM   #10
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
We do and with a newborn too

We camp with many kids and I think you will find that many others do too, see below:

Children and Rallies
Ken Smillie #12499

Tire pressure, check!

Chains, check!
Breakaway switch, check!

Lights, check!

Unplug extension cord, check!

“Let’s go, let’s go……….”

“Did you pack my socks…. shoes? How about my favorite Airstream sweatshirt? How about drinks? Did you get my wallet? Okay let’s go”.

As we pull out of the driveway, my wife asks, “Honey, did you get the kids bicycles”? Argh! I knew that I forgot something.

That Friday afternoon rush, you know the one. You have worked all week long facing all of the problems of the office, the boss wants one more spreadsheet, and the boss’s boss wants to know how the meeting went with the customer, the customer will not stop calling you, the kids teacher is calling, the baseball team wants to know if you can fill in for the coach this week, the dance class has scheduled a recital for today, and you have been looking forward to this months Unit Rally all month long.

Ah yes, finally, you pull out of the driveway for the second time, get to the end of the street and right on schedule you hear, “Dad, are we almost there yet”?

Today’s middle age family is faced with an ever increasing pace of life. We, like many other families, just want that little piece of sanctuary that we Wally-ites find in the comfort of our Airstreams. Yes, a whole three days of nothing but camping in the Airstream…. with the kids, okay maybe not sanctuary, but pretty close.

I am often asked, by fellow Airstream owners that are still working towards retirement, “Will there be anything for our kids to do if we join the WBCCI?” Of course! The beauty of going to any campground is that more often than not, there are many kid magnet attractions like jungle gyms, pools, fishing, boating, bicycle riding, nature trails and especially, OTHER KIDS!

I remember when we joined the WBCCI. My wife was concerned that there would not be much for our child of seven years to do. It was a little slow but once he met with some of the other kids, (I am not certain but I think that they are stowaways in my trailer because they always show up at snack time and sleep time), the challenge was keeping up with him. I found my wife knocking on doors of all of the Airstreams and asking, “Have you seen my son?” It was a great comfort to find that our child was so clearly accepted in the rally. You can believe that we were the youngest attending this specific rally but it was as though we had brought forty of our sons grandparents. They were so kind and welcoming.

At first we were a little apprehensive about turning our back on our son but now he has grown a couple of years and he has become quite the camping hoodlum. It never fails that if there are children in the campground, he manages to befriend and invite them to our humble Airstream and drag out all of the video games, badminton, volleyball, and every other ball game that we carry.

Did I mention the bicycle gangs? They are a menace to campground society as we know it, just kidding. The good part about bringing a bicycle is that it is easier to find him, just find the Airstream that the bicycle is parked in front of.

Pools……… need I say anymore? No need for homing beacons; simply check the pool and Voila! Pools are great because you only have to change clothes on your kid twice, when you get there and when you leave.

What could be more consuming than the quarter eating game room? What a setup, these arcades can cause your kid to perform such embarrassing acts as telling your fellow WBCCI members that you are an abusive parent and you don’t give quarters, (a well thought out approach to begging, I think they teach the kids this tactic on Nickelodeon).

I have attended several State Rallies and there is always an organized approach to entertaining children and I must say it has always been a complete success with organized competitions, prizes for all and a sense of team membership.

Well it is Sunday again and it is time to break camp, collect all of the trash that the kids have strewn, go find the bicycle, gather all of the missing game pieces, go to the pool and get all of the wet towels.

Unplug extension cord, check!

Disconnect water hose, check!

Tire pressure, check!

Chains, check!

Breakaway switch, check!

Lights, check!

“Get in the truck kids, let’s go!” I bellow.

We pull to the campground exit and right on schedule………”Dad, when are we coming back?”

Smily
Old 02-20-2005, 09:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
the joy of children :-)

What a GREAT homage to camping with your kids.. you really did a great job on this post :-)

Makes me wish mine weren't grown.. oh, WHAT am I saying???????? NEVER MIND!! EEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!

Seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Thank you for writing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
We camp with many kids and I think you will find that many others do too, see below:

Children and Rallies
Ken Smillie #12499

“Get in the truck kids, let’s go!” I bellow.

We pull to the campground exit and right on schedule………”Dad, when are we coming back?”

Smily
Old 02-21-2005, 07:54 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Cool Travelling with a herd

We are not new to airstreaming, as my husband grew up in a family of 10 kids who airstreamed, and we actually bought and lived in an 1976 international when we were first married and finishing college. We just bought a 2005 30' Safari Bunk and will be travelling with 6 children ages 11 down to 1. The only pet we have is a cat, and she won't be coming with us.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Just the menagerie

Just the wife, myself, and 2 cats.

Our older cat is diabatic and gets twice a day insulin shots. The kids are queasy about giving the shots and will not keep him. It is not financially feasible to leave him at the vets or board him (big $). He is about 15 years old and is part of the family, so along he goes, whether he likes it or not. He doesn't like the motion, but he loves the trailer when at rest.

The young cat (2 1/2) is a veteran traveller and has been with us on every trip since she was a small kitten..

I actually do a bit of travelling with just myself and the young cat to music events where I dry camp for a few days at a time. The photo is of the young cat (Zoe) doing what she does about 20 hours a day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NapTime.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	10507  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
My wife and "four" kids, 3 kids under 14, and a husband who acts like a kid when we get to take the Airstream out (hey it's my "toy").

"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote