Old 06-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #29
AIR #8691
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Stop towing your Airstream? Quit Airstreaming? Guess everyone has a ‘breaking point’ or a costs vs. benefit point that come after using it less & less each year at a higher & higher costs. What can we do?

You could buy one of those real light-weight old trailers- -I seen pictures & cartoons of some guy towing it with a bicycle. Or go back further in time and tow it with a pair of oxen or mules. And there might be an added advantage of using their methane gas.
We’ll need a different WD hitch and Inland Andy will help us solve that problem.
Travel slower & get back with nature. Boondocking would work but courtesy parking would not.

Don’t intend to hijack this thread but we need some out-of-the-box brain storming ideas. Our Airstreaming way of life is threatened and I’m too old & soft to go back to tent camping.

JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #30
2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
There's give an there's take. Even with the housing slump, our home value is worth a lot more than it was 5-6 yrs ago. If we sell some day and manage to come out ahead , we will appreciate that it evens out increased expenses in other areas of life.

For all the worry about fuel costs, I will tell you that not one single person in our community as joined me as a bicycle commuter or errand runner. I also bought a $350 Schwinn scooter with a seat. Goes 15 mph with a range of 12 miles per charge. Great for running to the local Quick Market. Don't see anyone else on any thing even remotely similar.

2007 28' Int CCD.
2011 F 250 Big Honking Diesel
DTV 5lnb on a tripod.
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
We will continue to camp in our sweet Bambi as long as we can! Clearly as retirees we have to pay our medical insurance first.... (hummmm) but camping reduces stress and makes us feel great! So, actually I wonder if I can deduct camping expenses on my taxes for medical care it is cheaper than some of our meds...? Sure seems reasonable to me!

We have curbed some of our other driving so we can have more $ to spend on going places we really want to go... we will continue as long as we can afford it! It is all in the priorities...

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My new blog: Yreka History
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #32
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Originally Posted by henw View Post
TI also bought a $350 Schwinn scooter with a seat. Goes 15 mph with a range of 12 miles per charge. Great for running to the local Quick Market. Don't see anyone else on any thing even remotely similar.
i have 2, one in NY & one in FL. wanna race?
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Hi Andy,

As you are a commercial vendor, I assume you are trying to guage the effect of the (current $4.79 per gallon diesel fuel in Georgia) cost on current and future customers.

The current owners of Vintage Airstream Travel Trailers I know already have the required tow vehicle and are planning trips closer to home, I.E. more in-state camping trips or trips within 6 hours or less Vs. longer out of state trips.

Those thinking of becoming RV owners are looking hard at what type of tow vehicle would be required for a prospective RV purchase, and the associated vehicle / fuel mileage/ operating costs involved.

If the RV purchase also required the purchase of a bigger TV, such as a F-250, to tow the new RV, it is a deal breaker.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #34
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
"Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and sails; that's what a ship needs. Not what a ship is. What the Black Pearl really is, is freedom." Cap'n Jack

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote