Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Do you have a stocked up-to-date first aid kit ?
Yes! Fully stocked and nothing out of date. 121 52.61%
Yes! Fully stocked, but some of the stuff is a little old. 63 27.39%
Yes. A few items missing. 23 10.00%
No. I don't have one. 23 10.00%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2008, 07:34 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Yup, Time to double check the date on the IV solution. I camp annually in a remote area with a group from church. While I've never needed more than minor things, I like to have a few things for the trauma that can happen under these conditions.

Those of you who have stated you're CPR certed, there have been some Huge changes in CPR in the last year or so, you may want to update your card.

Good reminders in this thread!
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #62
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Good reminders in this thread!
Dave
I think I'm going to make this thread "sticky", so it will always be near the top of the subforum it's in. I'd really hate for something bad to happen because someone didn't see this thread back on page 2 or 3...
Old 04-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Hi all
Whom ever refreshed this thread THANKS. Wife and I just saw an ad on tv and were reminded we need a First Aid Kit in the Airstream, a large one at that, now a reminder here . Guess we better get shopping.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #64
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
As a rule, it's MUCH cheaper to assemble your own first aid kit. Buy a cheap tackle box, fanny pack or whatever works for you, and purchase the supplies to stock it.
When you buy a pre-assembled kit, you pay a premium.
FWIW.
AIR #15800

2000 Safari SS 25'
Old 05-05-2008, 06:00 AM   #65
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Mine has never come in handly, and I hope it never does.
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Dont forget the pets too!!!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...aid-37082.html
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:19 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
We keep one in the trailer, one in the TV. Actually, there are several in the TV as we usually have our kayaking gear with us and we carry kits for the boats as well.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
A box of bandaids and some Hydrogen Peroxide (which may be expired). Needless to say I need to get something set up.
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #69
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Earlier this week, I found another item I'm going to include in my first aid kit.
Wire cutters.
I was following an obviously impaired motorist near the campground where we live, and he ran off the road, through a barbed-wire fence, and hit a tree. He was on the other side of the fence, and I couldn't climb over (barbed wire is very sharp). EMS arrived with a pair of bolt cutters, and got through in short order. There was a delay of almost 10 minutes where I could have at least applied direct pressure to the worst of his wounds.
He was airlifted to the hospital, I can only assume the worst (HIPAA doesn't allow inquiries about patients) as the Highway Patrol marked position of the car, took photos and measurements for a traffic homicide after a call from the hospital.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #70
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
And while I'm "thinking", I wonder about intentionally packing stuff we don't know how to use. Things like sutures, splints, syringes, etc. Even if I don't know how to use it, at an accident scene there is a very good possibility one of the bystanders/gawkers may well have the knowledge to use what I have, even if I don't.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Lakewood, WA in the summer and Boulder City, NV in the winter , WA / NV
Send a message via AIM to Rick56Safari
First Aid Kit and Training

This is an important area! Not only should you have a fully stocked First Aid Kit but all the adults in the family should be trained in CPR and First Aid. CPR can be done mouth to mouth or by using a one way ventilation kit. You never know when you might have to give CPR to a non family member. Keep updating your medical supplies as you increase your training. It could be a life or death situation.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick56Safari
This is an important area! Not only should you have a fully stocked First Aid Kit but all the adults in the family should be trained in CPR and First Aid. CPR can be done mouth to mouth or by using a one way ventilation kit. You never know when you might have to give CPR to a non family member. Keep updating your medical supplies as you increase your training. It could be a life or death situation.
Good point.
While the percentages of those surviving a cardiac arrest are not good, without CPR and resuscitation - they are Zero.
I hope nobody has to do CPR on someone, but it's a great feeling when you can ultimately save the person. I have experienced it a few times.
Dave
AIR #15800

2000 Safari SS 25'
Old 05-31-2008, 08:31 AM   #73
1 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
north Rose , New York
Send a message via Yahoo to jacknshell
ours is usually fully stocked, some of the gauze and bandages may be a little old but they still work just fine. we both have had cpr and we are both volunteer fire fighters in our home town.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #74
1 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Stockton , California
2009 Reminder about First Aid Kits

I see that folks have written each year since 2006 reminding us all to check our first aid kits for outdated meds. and completeness - as well as changing batteries in smoke/co2 alarms. I went through all the past posts and information at the Red Cross site and compiled what I hope is a complete list for everyone to use when checking their first aid kits. (Monk is a rerun tonight and I was bored, okay?) Please let me know if I've left something out or should add another item. I'm going to need a trailer for my Bambi to carry all of these items...

First Aid Kit for Prudence
81 mg. chewable aspirin
Ace bandages
Anti-diarrheal
Antiseptic wipes
Band aids (various sizes; including knuckle, knee, elbow, etc)
Bandaging tape
Benadryl liquid or tabs
Biohazard waste bag(s)
Blister bandages; mole skin
Breathing Mask (NIOSH-N95)
Burn cream – silvadine
Cold/hot compress
Cotton swabs
CPR barrier mask
Elemental sulphur to dust clothes for insects
Emergency blanket(s)
Emergency notification card
Eye wash and eye patch/bandage
First aid book/guide
Gas tablets/meds
Gauze rolls
Gauze pads
Hand sanitizer
Hydrocortisone – Neosporin
Magnifying glass
Mosquito repellent
Pencil/pen and notepad
Prednisone oral tabs
Prescription meds in original bottles and/or photo copy with admin. info. – put in plastic envelope next to fire extinguisher for easy access for all.
Rash/itch cream
Scissors
Steri strips//butterfly bandages
Sunscreen
Tampons or pads
Temporary filling replacements
Thermometer
Tongue depressors
Tweezers
Triangular sling with safety pins
Tylenol
Vinyl gloves

Recommended, but optional items:
Re-sealable Jack Daniels
Snake bite kit (depending upon area traveled)
Spider spray – brooms not recommended
And, of course, leeches in case we travel back in time to the middle ages through mid-19th century – or find a new age doctor.

The following are more emergency related items rather than first-aid items – but handy to have:
Rain poncho
Personal effects: toothbrush, toothpaste, Dr. Bronner’s soap, washcloth,
Tape – duct
Plastic sheet
Food bars
Water purification
whistle

4 bottled waters
Work gloves
Ear plugs

And for those of us who travel with our pets:
Red Cross pet emergency book
Oral syringe
Hydrogen peroxide
Suture kit for dogs

And the following quick guide (Thanks to Sugarfoot):

CANINE QUICK REFERENCE CARD

Normal Vital Signs

Temperature 100 – 103 degrees Fo

Pulse 80 – 140 bpm

Respirations 10 – 30 breaths per min

Common OTC Drug Dosages for Canines

· Benadryl 1-2 mg per lb, every 8 hours (65 lb dog, 2-4 25mg caps every 8 hrs)
· Aspirin 5mg per lb every 12 hours (1 tablet, 325mg per 65 lb dog every 12 hrs)
· Hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting: 1-3 tsp every 10 min until dog vomits
· Pepto Bismol 1 tsp per 5 lb every 6 hours (3-4 TBSP per 65 lb dog every 6 hrs)
· Kaopectate 1 ml per 1 lb every 2 hours (3-4 TBSP per 65 lb dog every 2 hours)
· Immodium 1 mg per 15 lbs 1-2 times daily
· Mineral oil (as a laxative) 5-30 ml per day . . . DO NOT USE LONG TERM
Dear Prudence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #75
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
That's a pretty good list.
Don't forget, it's time to pack the bearings and first aid kit. Uhh, maybe pack the first aid kit first, you may need it when packing the bearings...
Old 03-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #76
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
We purchased a very complete first aid kit from AeroMedix. It is a bit on the pricey side, but very complete and capable of doing far more than I ever think I'm going to do. They build this up for pilots and it seemed a good fit for some back country outings where the National Park Service thinks we should be able to treat blisters and remove gall bladders. It is a good starter kit and very simple to keep updated as the various items expire.

Aeromedix.com - Doc Blue's Emergency Medical Kit

Tom

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
like my truck and my airstream theres nothhing duck tape wont fix .it works great for banaids but it realy hurts to take it off. but we also have the store bought kind and a fire exchanger just in case the hot dogs get out of hand.
bill almond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
As for the snake bite kit, since my wife travels with a lawyer, she always includes one. But there are a couple of serious thoughts down a different first aid path to consider:

o If you have some serious medical issues be sure to wear an ID Tag that indicates what they are. These do wear out and occassionally need to be replaced.

o We carry copies of the prescriptions and pamplets that come with the prescription meds.

o Carry copies of key medical information for whoever is traveling with you. Its probably best to carry paper copies as well as electronic. The paper is more accessible and useable. I think we have much of our stuff as PDFs on our laptops as well but after reading this thread I'm going to verify that.

o You really should carry a living will and health care proxy with you. A living will specifys health care decisions you want made (include religious preferences, etc. if any). A health proxy or medical directive names a person to make decisions for you if you cannot do so. These are obviously more likley to be useful if you are camping near civilization but in an emergency are best carried by all. Little weight or space taken, better safe than sorry.

o Since state laws differ considerably take some precuations since you never know where you might have an issue. The documents you use should be separate (i.e., don't use a single form that is both a living will and health proxy). Be sure each document is witnessed by two people and notarized. Carry an original of each, not just a photocopy.

o A practical issue when RV'ing is if you named Uncle Joe as your agent and he's a thousand miles away it might not be of great practical immediate use. Consider a simple "travel" version that you use in which you name someone traveling with you. You can obtain forms and do this for no cost pretty easily on your own. Better yet if you had a lawyer do your documents dare ask for a Word version with some blanks so you can bang out your own each time you go on a long trip and name people you'll be traveling with. This is a really simple no cost way to protect yourself. If you're single and travel with different friends you could bang out a document for each trip and destroy it when you get back home (unless you're full timing). This is probably worth doing just to see the reaction of your lawyer when you ask for a form you can do on your own!

o Be very cautious using internet forms. Many are so bad as to be dangerous and are sometimes worse than not having any document. Many of them are so generic that they won't address anything but a plain vanilla situation (and if your last name isn't vanilla...). While religious issues were noted above, these are almost universally ignored in most standard forms (and frankly in most lawyer prepared forms). If you have a particular faith make the key provisions that affect your care and major decisions known. Similarly if you have a significant existing medical condition make it known as well. Most forms tend to be so standardized that they are less than ideal.

o If you travel with a partner be sure to specify that your partner should have the same decision making and visitation rights as a spouse would be afforded.

o Consider stating in any health proxy that you use that your agent has the authority to remove you from any hospital or other facility in the state you are in when you fall ill, back to a hospital or other facility in your home state (if you have a permanent home). As an aside, if you claim for state income tax purposes that you live in a state with no state income taxes (Nevada, South Dakota, etc.) don't sign documents saying your permanent home is .... whatever high tax state you might have lived in. That could bite you in the .... and then you'd need a tax snake bite kit.

o Many people will also sign a separate HIPAA release -- a document authorizing and named person (your HIPAA representative) to see your medical records.

o If you have a lawyer prepare your documents (which is much safer than the on line stuff) be sure to explain your RV lifestyle so that steps can be taken to accomodate it.

While you may need your first aid to get you through the initial emergency, for many, having the right documents is a relatively easy and inexpensive security step if you end up in a hospital someplace far from home.

"Playing safe", your first aid kit. and common sense are certainly the first steps, but carrying the right documents should also not be overlooked.

Hope this helps.

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #79
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Don't forget, while you're Summerizing your Airstream, check over your first aid kit to make sure everything is up to date and filled. If you ran out and got a new kit when this thread first made an appearance, I don't think I'd want to use any of the contents now, with the possible exception of some bandages.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Rolaids. No Doze. Preparation H. The truck drivers first aid kit. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote