Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Do you have a stocked up-to-date first aid kit ?
Yes! Fully stocked and nothing out of date. 121 52.61%
Yes! Fully stocked, but some of the stuff is a little old. 63 27.39%
Yes. A few items missing. 23 10.00%
No. I don't have one. 23 10.00%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #41
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Don't forget that your pets may require first aid also.
http://www.cpr-savers.com/consumer/c...+aid+kit#pf432
Attached Images

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #42
_

. , .
hi nick and all you travelin' gonzos...

well nick you should include a rawhide chew in your kit for chomping on while suturing you brits are a tuff lot.....

most folks can't tolerate the pain, so they don't clean the wound carfully....which gets the dirt ball rollin'....

there are now topical anesthetic creams...like emla and lmx4;
usually these are combo products with 3-6% lidocaine....and are very effective for skin....
they aren't intended for open wounds....but would still work.

nick, you might consider getting some epi glue.....
this stuff comes in single use tubes and will make a nice clean repair....

don't try super glue....sure it might work...but some of the contents are nasty human use...

here is a guide to tying suture one handed.....i used to teach this stuff....
suture tying is fun if done correctly....
http://people.musc.edu/~neilseea/knot/knot.htm

back to the raw hide chew.... tongue depressors are useful in the kit.....lots of applications from finger splints to applying salves....oh yea, and depressing tongues....

a disposeable plastic airway is also useful.......
i've been on group trips where someone had a seizure or other airway issue and these work much better than a finger......bit off...

airstrmgypsy....not indelicate at all.....
tampons are great for many emergency needs......stick with the cotton ones....i've packed many nose bleeds with these (in the clinic we labeled them nasal packing....we could charge more) and while camping eye patches, wound packing, amputated digits and so on....also the little white paper sleeve and be split and used for a finger splint....just not too tight please...

and as cory notes sanitary napkins are also great for open wound care...and handy in the kit.

clancy boy.......
yep mole skin comes in handy......use in beforehand to delay or prevent blisters.....

there are better products now once the blister has developed...that keep it clean and protect but breath a little...

for durable goods and other things that don't really expire....i use a food grade vacumn sealer and bags. items can be wrapped, seen and labled...very good storage.

there are also other meds some might consider carrying for emergencies....

1-2 aspirin sealed and dry.......a first line myocardial infarction/acute coronary syndrome.....treatment...

2-5 days of some specific antibiotics.....for example some spider bites are best treated this way......

same with some prednisone......oral tabs can be used for a variety of severe allergic reactions...

silver sulfadiazine (silvadene) is a superbe burn cream....and a good item...

most of our travels in the usa, don't isolate us from civilization...really.
but thinking about what is carried on a working fishing boat or at sea....
is a good reference for our land yachts...

again know how to use this stuff, or know some one in the group does....

cheers
2air'

my advice here is not a recommendation for treatment....your mileage may vary....yadda, yadda.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #43
_

. , .
dental packing.......

there are some nice kits now with temp filling replacements or crown work repair....

having one of these can turn a painful short trip into a tolerable vacation...
while looking for a southoftheborder dentist......

cheers
2air'
Old 04-02-2006, 03:41 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
". . .suture tying is fun if done correctly...."

and on someone other than yourself! (Sorry, couldn't overlook that one!) Thanks, all, really for the good reminders contained throughout this thread. I will be reprovisioning our kit this week with these lists in hand. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Where can you find a kit that will remain useful after 20 years in a trailer that gets up past 110F in the summer and down below 0F in the winter?

It seems that one of the big hassles, especially if you have a pharmacy like 2air's, is providing a proper storage environment.

A second big hassle is replacing materials to make sure that what you have is current, fresh, and effective. and how do you replace small quanitities of this and that to keep it up to date, anyway?

A first aid and emergency kit is one of those things that you need out of the way but immediate to hand when its needed. Its one of those things that is out of sight and out of mind but needs proper attention and maintenance.

Don nearly lost a thumb bashing sticks on a tree to break them up (still don't see how he did it). We did get to a nearby ER (30 mi) but they were thinking of transport 300 miles until they found a guy used to repairing snow blower and chain saw victims. Don pretty much patched himself up for First Aid. Good to have others available to help out when needed as a first first aid.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:41 PM   #46
_

. , .
i've been meaning to get back to this thread but haven't had time......

as for medications......the truth is that most expiration dates are stamped/written arbitarily....there is very little good science on how long most meds remain active and bioavailable.....

many pharmacies routinely stamp a date......1 year from now.....when the manufacturer many have 3 years listed.....also makers know very little about when a given medication becomes ineffective.....each year billions of dollars of still fresh medications are tossed because of premature expiration dates.......

i routinely consume meds that are 1-3 years past the expiration date....for non life threating needs like allergies, heartburn or headaches....not that i'm suggesting anyone else do this....

yes heat and cold are issues but the trailer doesn't have to be a deep freeze or oven....

single use meds like aspirin for a heart attach or antibotics for giradia or steroids for asthma....can be vacumn packed, foil covered, and stored in a moderate temp location for years....like wine or peanut butter or energy bars....

so one way to look at these first aid/emergency supplies/health aids and medications is to group them like the galley.....

-pots and pans (gauze and tape and needles) last for decades
-dry goods like beans/rice salt, spices (saline, bandaids, antiseptics, ointments) can last for 5 years or more.....
-regional fare like vadialia onions or snake bite kits are best purchased just before traveling to a given region where they might be needed....
-and current needs like fresh fruit or your current personal medication list are best loaded and unloaded each time the trip begins.....

travel trailers are more like homes than a backpack or shelter house....so we need to and will carry a more complete, broad and potentially diverse supply of health, wellness, first aid and emergency supplies....

my point is think beyond the barebones first aid. like an international traveler visit your doc occasionally before the camping season and get scripts for a few supplies....and rotate every few years...

anticipate your needs, the family and pets when the season kicks into gear....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
While everyone is airing out the AS and hopefully checking to make sure the First Aid Kits are fully stocked and up to date, now would also be a good time to check the fire extinguishers, smoke, CO, and propane detectors too. If your detectors have batteries, go ahead and change them so they are fresh for the season.

Ya'll travel safe now, ya hear!
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
2001 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500
troubleskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
First Aid Kits

Love this thread! May seem kinda boring but worth going over. 2 Air's comments are still current and suggestions very appropriate--especially for those traveling with kids, or those dealing with the vagaries of illnesses--and worth paying careful attention to. Best to make sure all meds and most supplies are not only up to date, but also kept in a cool location. And it would be oh so wonderful if everyone had at least a basic CPR course...Those 1st 3 minutes mean everything, and we're all capable of doing what needs to be done to save a life.
Have all those amazing paramedics, emts, docs, and nurses out there who travel in their Airstreams taught their significant others the ABCs? Not really all that challenging. Let's keep each other safe!
Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:57 AM   #49
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
First Aid - First Trip

Hi All! Everyone has mentioned some really great stuff above and it is all worth noting. Being a first responder volunteer my Med Bag is always ready to go. But I do have a very simple and realiable method I use each spring. I know this was mentioned earlier but well worth mentioning again. When de-winterizing, change all detector batteries, and clean out and replenish Med Kit in AS. The clean out medicine cabinet. When we do a spring cleaning it is fron tongue to rear bumper!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:55 AM   #50
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
We used to build our own First Aid kits for the BSA using a small Rubbermaid container. I started using the Adventure Medical Kits about 15 years ago and have used them since then. We currently keep the Sportsman kit with our travel supplies. Both the wife and I have been trained as First Responders at our respective jobs, so our kit has a tendency to be a bit more comprehensive than most general first aid kits....and No I won't put a big Red Cross on my Airstream

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:02 AM   #51
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
Where can you find a kit that will remain useful after 20 years in a trailer that gets up past 110F in the summer and down below 0F in the winter?
First Aid kits need maintenance just like everything else. Get a good comprehensive one and check it every year, or even every quarter if need be.

Quote:
second big hassle is replacing materials to make sure that what you have is current, fresh, and effective. and how do you replace small quanitities of this and that to keep it up to date, anyway?
You can buy small lot items from places like Adventure Medicals or Wilderness Medical will update their kits for you for a price.

Quote:
Don nearly lost a thumb bashing sticks on a tree to break them up (still don't see how he did it)

And do we let Don play with Scissors

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:25 AM   #52
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
That time of year again

It's almost time to hit the road again (March 1 is tomorrow). With Spring just around the corner, don't forget to check over your first aid kit, and make sure everything is still in good shape, filled, and all expirable (is that a word?) items are within their dates. There's nothing like suffering a bee sting on your first outing of the season, and finding out the medicine for it is out of date.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:53 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
Spring Forward - Daylight Saving Time is a great benchmark for checking your first aid kits. Also, please check your smoke/fire, propane & CO detectors prior to loading up and heading out.

Remember, Daylight Saving Time begins on the second Sunday in MARCH now, so that will be March 11th this year. DST ends on the first Sunday in NOVEMBER also, but that's a ways off.
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
2001 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500
troubleskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #54
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The most important item in your kit is the the stuff between your ears. Do know what to do with the stuff IN the kit if you need it?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Since I am a hunter and travel in remote areas, I have learned to carry a complete up to date kit. The kits are available in about any size for any pupose. Since some of the RV camps and parks are not in cell range I periodically carry a satellite telephone. Serious health problems can present themselves any where at any time and consideration should be given to emergency response time for all campers and travelers. I would recommend that rally organizers include the location of the nearest hospital to the camp site and the availability of a 911 call center.
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #56
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Thumbs up shameless bump:

Just another reminder, if you haven't checked/restocked your trailer's first aid kit, now is a great time to look it over, and freshen it if needed.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #57
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Great reminder....will check mine when I bring 'er home to de-winterize....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Out of date

Am I out of date or are the little polls? I check in almost everyday and am never been able to participate in the polls. I always get a 404 ERROR message. So If everyone has this problem Why Take up the space?
Thanks for Listening
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #59
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's that time of year again, where we need to think about getting our trailers ready for spring.
Air up the tires, pack the bearings, check the fire extinguishers, and freshen the first aid kits...
Old 03-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #60
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit
Am I out of date or are the little polls? I check in almost everyday and am never been able to participate in the polls. I always get a 404 ERROR message. So If everyone has this problem Why Take up the space?
Thanks for Listening
Roger
Roger, I just checked the poll, and it is still open. There may be a setting on your computer that is preventing you from participating in the poll, Windoze is a strange animal.