Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Do you have a stocked up-to-date first aid kit ?
Yes! Fully stocked and nothing out of date. 121 52.61%
Yes! Fully stocked, but some of the stuff is a little old. 63 27.39%
Yes. A few items missing. 23 10.00%
No. I don't have one. 23 10.00%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2005, 07:39 PM   #21
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Post Red Cross offices sell first aid kits too

Great survey! After taking the classes I learned that the Red Cross sells first aid kits, which are nice as they help us and the money helps others too.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:14 PM   #22
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
more to the point...

do you know how to use it?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
We have one, fully stocked, up to date kit we move between the Airstream, and the boat. Having just one makes it easier to check stock level/date.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #24
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Our First Aid kit could use some upgrades. We have bandages and some other items. Being out west we also have stuff for snake bite. Does anyone know if Jack Daniel's has an experation date?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 01:53 PM   #25
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Our First Aid kit could use some upgrades. We have bandages and some other items. Being out west we also have stuff for snake bite. Does anyone know if Jack Daniel's has an experation date?
We use Southern Comfort in ours....never had it around long enough for it to expire...even if it did have a date.

We have a custom built first aid kit, I based mine on the wilderness rescue kits but left out a lot of the heavy rescue type stuff. Doubled up the stock on bandaids, antiseptics and other high use items. I have had the Red Cross First Aid and CPR...several times over. I have also taken a basic Wilderness first aid course too. If you use your head there is plenty of stuff laying around to use for first aid, 2x2's for splints, or even a rolled news paper will suffice for a fractured arm. As far as calling 911 and waiting for help....that only works if you are in a cell coverage area, know where you are, and the area is accessible. Not always the case and in my case seldom.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #26
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Does anyone know if Jack Daniel's has an experation date?

Never had it stay around long enough; although I have heard rummors that the bottles are resealable I cant personally confirm that.......

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
"...If you use your head there is plenty of stuff laying around to use for first aid, 2x2's for splints, or even a rolled news paper will suffice for a fractured arm..."

When our son broke his lower right leg bones (yes, both) last fall, my split second answer to a splint to get him and his wheelchair up the slope in the yard to the driveway was a foam pillow and duct tape. He received lots of compliments on his home first aid!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:30 PM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Another yearly reminder...

It is once again almost camping season. Don't forget to freshen and fill your first aid kit before heading out into the great outdoors!
Old 03-29-2006, 06:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Benadryl

As a registered nurse, the most important medication that hasn't been mentioned is BENADRYL. You never know when someone is going to have an allergic reaction to a bug bite, plants, food, etc. I have provided Benadryl more than once to my AS friends at rallies.

Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:07 PM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titu & Gail
As a registered nurse, the most important medication that hasn't been mentioned is BENADRYL. You never know when someone is going to have an allergic reaction to a bug bite, plants, food, etc. I have provided Benadryl more than once to my AS friends at rallies.

Gail
Benadryl liquid works fastest, in many cases with allergic reactions, faster is better.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:27 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
What a timely thread to reapear. I have just completed a major project in Chummy, which means I have used up the band aides, anti-septics, gauze wraps, aspirin, and ear plugs, (don't ask). After each major job completion I immediately restock the first aide kit so it is ready for me when I foolishly begin another project.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:13 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
This has reminded me to stock up on more items. We always have to have the band-aids my son is 7 and we go thru a box like you wouldn't believe. Also we are the worlds worst to only have one first-aid kit. So today I'm going out and getting one just for Peppy the Airstream.

Becky

Chaplain, We have a case of (ear plugs) in the Airstream at all times.
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:28 PM   #33
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMILI
Just my 0.02: please do not carry equipment &/or drugs you are not trained and comfortable in using. We see many patients harmed from well intentioned people.
hi all you candy stripe'rs, aid'ers and do good'rs and 'well intentioned people'....

i saw this first aid thread the other day......
and have been thinking about how to respond.....

while agree with the warning in the above post.....it limits the true picture. and calling 911 only works in the zones....

and i travel without a phone.....

our trailers are mini homes on wheels......so the truth is,
we carry some of everything from home.....right?

it isn't like we are hiking and limited to a pocket of stuff.....and we do carry lots of stuff...

so i'd suggest carry lots......even if you aren't skilled in using it....someone else might be...

1. carry all your own personal regular prescription meds and supples....this might be pills, inhalers, insulin, needles..or meds for htn, asthma, arthritis, cancer, contact lens or a security blanket...

2. carry some of the less common meds you still might use occasionally...sleeping pills, antianxiety, narcotics....and so on...

3. legally all prescription meds should be in original containers...labeled...but the truth is something else....i suggest at least making a photo copy of the labels for everything...

4. type or print a list of these usual prescription meds and dosages and put is somewhere near the door/fire canister....in an envelope for folks to find easy...also list allergies reactions and a emergency contact, if ya have one.

5. all the above for children, dependents, pets and spouses...

6. carry over the counter things ya may need.....pain, fever, rash, itches, allergic reactions, hay fever, sunburn, eye wash, condoms, spermacides, antidiarrhea meds, heartburn, gas...and so on....otc you might use....they are many former scripted meds now otc......good stuff and dangerous if used incorrectly....still think about the home med cabinet...

7. first aid kit.......the usual bag of bandages, tape, water purification and so on.....blister bandages and eye patches are very handy as is eye wash and an ace bandage or 2....spints are easy to make from supplies at hand....

8. nitryl gloves......stronger than latex, last longer, and you can use them to change the oil or transplant a kidney...

9. epi pen....these are handy and useful in allergic emergencies....peanuts, bee stings and so on....

10. snake bite kits if your travels indicate...

11. a barrier mask for cpr......these are inexpensive and make it safer to provide mouth 2 mouth....when needed

12. i used to carry an ob/delivery pack.....just in case....no longer do...

13. steri strips......these can be used to close small superficial lacs....or get some wound glue....this stuff works great and is easy to use...but you'll need a script to get it

14. suture, needles and wound supplies........if this is really needed ya might want to take the wound to a er or clinic...closing it yourself risks infection and nasty scars....stick with #13 here..

15. magnifying glass and good tweezers......alway useful

16. a good first aid book or basic medical care book....you can read it anytime and they are interesting

there are other things......so come on let's list em..

and some folks may actually carry a portable defib unit...really.

i'll think of other things...

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:08 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Good list 2Air. I have to have my curved needle and thread with me at all times! Three occasions in my life I've cut myself badly when out of range of immediate medical help. I've always done any cleaning with my drinking water, sterilized the needle with a flame, and got to it. It's tough without any local anaesthetic, but the results have been perfect each time, with minimal scarring and no infection. My three were 1. Sewing back on the top quarter inch of an index finger. after a Stanley knife incident 2. A slash wound on a wrist from the top of a double-sided wood saw blade (I won't use one again.) and 3. A slash down my leg from dropping a car engine flywheel while trying to carry it. The teeth on a worn starter ring gear can be pretty sharp. The only tricky bit is tying the knots with one hand when the wound is on a hand or lower arm. My wife has been with me on all 3 occasions, and each time she has fainted when asked to tie the knots!
I don't relate this as a recommendation for anyone else. I'm sure there's the potential for anything from tetanus to a violent, sudden and unnatural death. Just an anecdote.
P.S Half an hour later, I've just remembered a 4th sewing and fainting session, with a nasty wound down to the ligaments in the palm of my hand. This was as a result of a fight with a spider in Portugal. The spider won.

Nick
Old 04-02-2006, 06:57 AM   #35
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
P.S Half an hour later, I've just remembered a 4th sewing and fainting session, with a nasty wound down to the ligaments in the palm of my hand. This was as a result of a fight with a spider in Portugal. The spider won.

Nick
As a law-enforcement professional, I can tell you that of all the hazards one may encounter in one's travels, there is NOTHING more dangerous than a knife-wielding spider. When in a knife-fight with a human, there are only two hands to watch. With a spider there are eight... I'm tellin' ya, they're devastating!

Roger

<Sorry, Nick... I just couldn't help m'self... >
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:04 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Mole Skin

I believe that's the name of the stuff. Mole Skin, always have some on hand. Most of us lead sedentary lives in our day-to-day jobs and the walking and hiking on vacation can put some large blisters on my feet. This stuff helps.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:57 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
As a law-enforcement professional........... When in a knife-fight with a human, there are only two hands to watch. With a spider there are eight...
As another scarred and retired law enforcement professional, I can only agree. This was a particularly tough cookie (think New Jersey arachnid). A veritable monster with great hairy legs, and I'd been told that sort was poisonous.I thought he wasn't tooled up, and he was in the corner of the wall and ceiling of a house we had rented for the winter in Portugal. I decided to wack him before reading him his rights, so I picked up the house broom, cupped the end of the handle in my right hand, and jabbed the bristle end of the broom hard at the malignant beastie. What I had neglected to realize was that the broom handle was a thin-walled steel tube with no end plug. This tube end slammed into my palm and exposed various bits of me that weren't intended to see daylight. The hood legged it, and was last heard of in the Bronx. There's an APB on him for interstate flight.
Nick.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
First Aid Must

I don't mean to be indelicate, but I always bring tampons. They are the best cotton absorbers out there for copious blood loss. Your can even pack a wound with them. I started bringing these along when I began hiking. They take up no room.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstrmGypsy
They are the best cotton absorbers out there for copious blood loss.
Yep, I agree they are absolutely the best. Period.
Nick.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:22 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
I check and restock ours before we go out each year. It has a content list on the inside of the top, plus I pack a few extra items and a few female pads cause I heard about how well they worked for absorbing blood in a CPR class. When I check the one for the AS I also check our vehicles and house kits (daughter seems to rob the bandaids from the house one).
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote