Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
rvk

Thousand Oaks , California
Enough interest to make an investment?

2 years ago, I sold my business bought a 30' Airstream and a new 3/4 ton truck to pull it. We took a great 3 week trip, when we got back I started a new business venture and the 'Stream sat in storage for months on end. Early last year my bro in law took the trailer and pickup off my hands, it now spends its summers in Minnesota and winters in AZ.
We recently spent a week in Big Sur in a friend's Bambi and we have the bug again.

Here is my thought, if I buy a new 25 International and a good solid TV is there enough of a market in the Airstream community to charter it for 12 to 15 weeks a year? I'm thinking it would be cool for folks on the East Coast or Midwest to be able to fly out to SoCal, pick it up, go to the grocery store and then spend a week or two exploring California. We would equip the traler with bedding, pots, pans, BBQ, etc. All you'd have to do is bring yourself and clothing.

I'd like to limit the 'charters" to Airstream owners if possible. (or former owners) This is the only way I can justify buying another trailer considering the limited amount of time we have to use it.

Does this make sense?
rvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I'm not sure if it's a good investment, but it certainly is a good excuse.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
rvk

Thousand Oaks , California
The goal would be is to cover some of the expense of storage, insurance, etc. By using a well set up TV it would be a gas and go situation for the people who charter.

A dealer asked if I wanted to put it in his rental program along with his 'white boxes", his deal is to take 50% of the fee. I'd rather do it myself and deal with the clients on my own. I wouldn't charge for mileage, but would require a rider on the renter's car insurance, a security deposit, etc. I'd set it up like a boat charter.

And yes, I would feel justified making the purchase and have access to my own Airstream when we'd have the time to use it.
rvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
It's certainly an intriguing idea. If yu decide to go ahead with it, please send me a pm as a possible customer.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
This thought was explored last year in a similar thread and there are some pretty strong opinions on the subject. I know I certainly would love to travel and stay in an Airstream, but not sure I would be open to the reverse of someone staying in my trailer.

Here is the link for some additional "food for thought."

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...nly-83954.html

Also, do a google for airstream rentals, as I think there are 3-4 companies doing this in California now. I've never used them, but researched them for our trip to California the end of this month, location didn't work for us, but we'd definitely do it if we were in the right place.

Tina
Old 01-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
You'd have to do some number-crunching... and what you want as a return on the investment... People might not want to pay a lot more for the AS rental than a typical RV rental, even though you'll pay 2x as much for the AS... You'll need extra insurance as well...

Lots of people rent/borrow RV's to their friends and family. Too many times things end up creating friction if there are problems/damage... Make sure there is an abundantly clear understanding of who will be responsible for what...

I would probably rent my AS to the right people... but I think I'd need to get $100 to $150 a day to make it 'worth it'... and that is on the low end... If I was renting a $65,000 new Airstream, I'd want at least $1500 a week or $5000 a month.

You can rent a pretty nice condo for that kind of money...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
It's a great idea IF you are willing to take the risks involved with having someone else tow and use your personal Airstream.

You should also check with your insurance company to find out if it would be covered if there is a loss and YOU are not the one using it.

Also, if it is not free and clear you would need to check with the lein holder to get their blessing.

I'm guessing that neither an insurance companies nor a lien holder would be warm to the idea. The complicating factor is that it essential becomes a "business" venture (like a boat charter business) and therefore it would be treated differently from a private-use Airstream in many ways.

Renting property for the purpose of providing a rental situation is one thing, but renting a trailer you have bought for your personal use is another. I, for one, am too emotionally invested in our rig to rent it out. I'd be a basket case the entire time.

Just my 2¢...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I bought my AS so I knew who slept in the bed last and what happened there. Same as the bathroom. For me renting it out and then using it would be like getting a motel room. There is only so much cleaning that can be done. My 2 cents. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
I think the insurance is the problem, really. Some companies will haul the trailer to the spot of the customer's choice, set it up, and let people stay in it, but they don't get to tow it. Some companies let people tow the smaller trailers or drive motorhomes.

Here's two well known companies:

Airstream trailer rental
Airstream Rentals at Airstreams4rent RV Rental in Phoenix, AZ

You might wish to contact them and ask how they've set up insurance and all that.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote