View Poll Results: Do you use your LP refrig while traveling?
Yes 176 70.12%
No 75 29.88%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2005, 08:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Leave it on

With the exception of certain tunnels and when in proximity to a gasoline pump, my refrigerator will always stay on from 24 hours prior to departure until we unload the refrigerator when arriving home. With the automatic switchover, that says that it will be on propane except when we are hooked to shore power.

Since I drive a diesel, I don't turn the refrigerator off when refueling at diesel-only islands. Since I usually use truck stop pumps, this is most of the time.

I also have a refrigerator thermometer and I have found that the interior temperature is out of the safe range after only a couple of hours towing in hot weather. In Texas, that is most of the time. Since we have an 8 cu ft refrigerator and seldom travel for over two weeks at a time, the refrigerator is never full enough to have a large thermal mass. The probability of food poinoning is infinitely higher than a refrigerator fire.

I find it quite odd that a lot of folks will get all shook up over towing with propane on when they are not in the trailer and then happily sleep overnight in the trailer with the refrigerator on gas.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
LP on as soon as I pick up the trailer at the storage yard. Stop before fueling and shutoff LP and the fridge. Re light afterward. We are travelling with young children and the milk cannot be spoiled. (of course that always insures the beer is cold too)

Hi Yo Silver, Away II?
looking for our next AS
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
On propane when driving - never had an issue. But stop shy of the gas pumps to shut the fridge off, and back on when we pull out of the station.
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 01:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
What else is there?!....????

Got the 3 way Dometic and happy as I could be as it allows me to use LP while running to the next campground with the freezer crankin away! Love that! Course, it shuts down at the fuel stops ( dash reminder to refire the LP as we pull away...!) and even so ( with nearly 4.3K on here this last trip, the LP part was like $7 or $8 bucks.?!? Kinda silly to risk whatever possible diseases for that kind of cash. Count me in the 'LP while drivin' part of the spectrum!

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Skype™ to 53flyingcloud

Originally Posted by John
Since this forum is by far the most active of the A/S Forums, I thought we could get a good idea of who does and who do not, use their LP gas refrig while traveling in their trailers or MH.

As always, thanks for your participation!
Since we have the three way, 12volt works just fine thank you..
No need to let things spoil or worse, like have hot beer~!!
WBCCI 5292 AIR 807
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Yes most of the time. I have to shut it off when going through local tunnels and I don't turn it back on until the next time I stop. I know better but I do it anyway.

Keep the shiny side up.
WBCCI # 348
Past Region 3 President
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote