View Poll Results: How long after your scheduled departure time do you actually get on the road?
We are packed and hooked up the night before- we always leave on time. 27 24.32%
With-in an hour of when we wanted to get on the road. 49 44.14%
We have kids or dogs, and don't get on the road till about 2 hours after our scheduled departure time. 19 17.12%
I guess it would help if I owned a watch- but normally 3 or more hours after my wife thought we were going to be on the road. 16 14.41%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
I voted for 2 hours late. I have determined that it is packing up on the day of the trip that delays us. But since we have a tentative trip planned this week end , I am changing the order of things. I am going to pack clothes and food the night before this time. I already have the back of the truck packed and it will just stay that way until we go.

Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Yhe Argosy has it's own set up, so all we have to do is put in food, the laptop, and a few clothes and we are set to go. If we are going somewhere special that requires "decor" I get that all together and packed the week before we leave, so it isn't a last minute thing. She gets a good cleaning whenever we come back from a trip, so it's ready whenever we are.

All best laid plans. We are still always almost an hour or two behind our planned leaving time. Or should I say Jim's planned leaving time, I have my own plans and that is usually when we leave!

Jim and Sandy

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Our Argosy is completed outfitted.... just clothes and food to be packed. We usually sleep in the trailer the night before and are up early and on the road on time and sometimes a little earlier..... Marvin dislikes tardiness... so guess I have gotten much more punctual in our 8 years of marriage...
Marvin & Annie
Niki (fur baby)
1979 Argosy 30 (Costalotta)
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #32
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Well I start on Monday if we are leaving Thurs or Friday. I start my checklist like tire pressures and the like. We have at least 5 complete set of clothes for each of us in the Overlander at all times. The trailer has its own set of small appliances and pots and pans and grocery's(cereal,peanut butter,jelly ECT) that don't spoil. Perishables are loaded the evening before departure.
We have so far been able to depart pretty much on time or before projected departure time. We never ever get in a hurry. HASTE MAKES WASTE.
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member
1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
I'm loving all the answers! I was always early for everything... before I married my husband who never focuses on time and have thus become less punctual. Although I pack most items the week of- and a lot of stuff stays packed in the camper all season, we never seem to get going on time. The dog will come around the corner covered in something so foul that they must have a bath before going, or the trailer rear left turn signal had no intentions of working today, or any other of things that happen at the last minute! Most of the time it's last minute things around the house- watering plants or doing dishes. But we don't get stressed about it- it's all for fun and leisure.
April & Andy Hershberger
3streams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #34
2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
I pack and load the AS the weekend before. Truck too.
Hook-up is the night before departure. Only things to do the day of are a few last minute items, and, unplug the trailer.

2007 28' Int CCD.
2011 F 250 Big Honking Diesel
DTV 5lnb on a tripod.
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #35
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Full timers have no such quandries.
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member
2008 27' International CCD FB
Vero Beach , Florida
I love this thread, I'm always on time. My significant wife is always on time except when we go on vacation. Like others, my dog gets it. He knows two days ahead that we are going on a trip and he will sit right next to the trailer door for days until we let him in. I am hooked up and packed the night before and then must wait until she gets ready.

We did leave on time once. We were 1.5 hours away from home when we realized we had forgotten our meds, yes we turned around and started our trip 3 hours late.
AlumaCave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #37
2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
We normally leave within 30 minutes of our scheduled departure time. The main reason for leaving on time is our location, we are currently leaving on Long Island, NY and have limited escape routes and through New York City. The commercial routes through the NYC are limited and range from poor to horrible. The earlier in the morning we escape the less traffic there is on the main route out of Gotham.
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member
2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
This thread is sure to generate some... errrr... ummm... discussion... around our house. Whatever we do, we never get going at the planned time. Oh well, it never seems to ruin our enjoyment of the trip. It's all about attitude!
2002 22' CCD
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #39
Rivet Master
1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
I plan out trips around rush hours so its pretty essential that we leave on time. If anything I tend to be early. I have a friend who I always tell to be ready an hour before she really has to so we are on time. When not traveling I don't pay any attention to the time and enjoy being relaxed.
The Silver Queen
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
Ruther Glen , Virginia
I run my own business so when I do get some time to get away, I make sure I am ready. I have to say that the wife is ready to roll when I am. Everyone says I am O.C.D. I just call it being a control freak.
I usually start going over all functions of the camper the week before, I try to avoid any surprises at camp if I can.
The truck is gased up the night before, the camper is loaded the day before....all I do is hook up and HEAD OUT
Keep your nose to the wind and your eyes on the horizen.
HeadnOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #41
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Great Questions

I voted for 2 hours late. I usually have the TW ready with all but cold food at any given time, and I could buy that on the road if I wanted. I usually pack the truck and hitch a day or two before. Yes, the dog is sometimes an issue, but usually not the cause. If Mom is coming along, add another hour.

It's stuff I did have time to get done before planned departure. Like going through stacked up mail and email, making sure Mom has everything she needs while I'm gone, serious housecleaning (I've given up as of late ), finishing laundry, loose ends at work, etc. If I had a secretary, a maid, a caretaker, and a personal shopper I'd be out the door by sunrise for a leisurely journey on the back roads. Instead I end up speeding down the interstate.

Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
People who leave on time probably have tidy desks . . . . Gene
I was going to post a pic of mine to support the converse of your theory, but I'm too embarrased.
Traveling With Elvis
life with a 1956 Sovereign of the Road

Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
We have to leave on time.

Hi, most trips start on Friday so I pull my trailer forward to gain access on Wednesday. First off the trailer gets a bath. We keep plenty of clothes and non parishable food items in the trailer. All cooking utensils Etc. are always packed. We only need to pack refrigerator items and a few bathroom items from the house. Most food items are precooked at home and frozen. All tools and necessary items that I carry in the back of my Lincoln are stored in my garage on a hand truck, ready at all times. Thursday night I back my trailer and Lincoln, all hitched, loaded and ready to go, back to storage possition. I then plug my trailer into my house to run my refrigerator over night. Wife's car is now parked in front of my Lincoln. Friday is street sweeper day, so most of the cars are off of the street, making it easier to get out in the morning. [very narrow street with many cars] My wife drives her car around the block as I pull out my trailer. As I drive around the block, my wife parks her car in the driveway, then gets in my Lincoln and away we go. Last Friday we left at 6:00 AM to hopefully be at Jackson Rancheria, for a rally, shortly after noon. [over 400 miles] This time after the rally we are on vacation. Right now we are in South Dakota. Read: "Bob & Lee's random trip" We do leave on time, but traffic dictates our arrival time.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote