Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 03:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Decal

Looks like someone exercised there right to no speech and shut down the Decal thread. Guess that tells us who is the man. I think I'll check out the Hunter site and see what's not posted there.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
A decal?!? What a great idea! We can get people to submit their ideas and have a survey!
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 03-31-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Yeah 300 posts down the drain. Disappointed in this place. They could've just locked the thread but no....it all has to go because Airstream Corp might be offended. But obviously we're just guests here and they will do what they want, when they want. I wonder how long this thread will last?

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
I believe that thread also talked about censorship on other sites and why people were so proud to be a part of this site...
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 03-31-2005, 03:47 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Here we go again...

Let's see if we can get this thread moved over to the "off topic" area so it has a snowball's chance in Florida of lasting more than a day or two.
Where is a moderator when you need them?
Oh Shari!.....
Old 03-31-2005, 04:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I don't even like decals, but now I want one!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 03-31-2005, 06:41 PM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Decal? What's a decal? I might want one if I knew what one was.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:53 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Unhappy I'm lost

It's been so long, I've forgotten what decal we were talking about. One that says Airstream Forum.com Member?

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
Old 03-31-2005, 07:34 PM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
Yeah 300 posts down the drain. Disappointed in this place. They could've just locked the thread but no....it all has to go because Airstream Corp might be offended. But obviously we're just guests here and they will do what they want, when they want. I wonder how long this thread will last?

The thread was not taken down for the reason stated above. The thread was taken down because it had degenerated in to nothing more that a very loud mud slinging contest. Does that help this community? Does that further the goals of the forum? Are we really sharing any useful information at that point?

Airstream and Organic Hosting (Andy) are working out the deal. Just because it cannot be done in the blink of an eye does not mean you are being censored.

One thing to consider when posting on a public forum. Your words will last much longer than you might think. Just do a google search on my forum handle. There are over 7200 hits. What kind of trail do you leave? Are the words on the screen a representation of your real personality? If they are I have some concerns about some of our members.

I am not saying you should not speak your mind, but when it gets to the point of berating another member the posts and sometimes the thread has to go. This thread is a perfect example of what happens when we even just lock a thread. A new one will start to take it's place. Will it stay nice or is it going to be a repeat? That is up to the members of the forum.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 03-31-2005, 08:02 PM   #10
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
I think that somebody once thought seriously about a forum decal. Here's an old thread that I stumbled upon:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=1530

Seriously...which decal won the voting way back when? I thought that the recent concensus was that we liked the AIR sticker?

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
Old 03-31-2005, 08:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I think we all need to take a deep breath and give it a rest. Yes, it has taken a long time but don't lose your tempers and lose the chance of getting the decal the forum voted on! I'm still holding out.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
Old 03-31-2005, 08:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
true

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
I think we all need to take a deep breath and give it a rest. Yes, it has taken a long time but don't lose your tempers and lose the chance of getting the decal the forum voted on! I'm still holding out.

I agree, david, I think we're all stir crazy after a long winter and need to go camping!

I am guilty of being crabby more than once!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
I agree, david, I think we're all stir crazy after a long winter and need to go camping!

I am guilty of being crabby more than once!

Davidz71 looks like it's a Craig talking :-) And I said David...Sorry!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:42 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree...the last thread was taking a nasty little turn. I don't look at it as 300 posts flushed. I think we have another chance to keep it civil on this thread. You know, it's not an easy job between doing what's right for the community and doing a tight rope act against free speech. There have been times when I've thought the mods went too far, but I will be honest when I say it's fairly rare. Hell, I've been on the top, bottom and middle of the edit post list at times...and I gotta tell ya, most of the times, bar maybe one time, maybe two, it was rightly done. To add, it's pretty clear in the user agreement we all agreed to when we signed up that we wouldn’t attack other members (at least publicly). That last thread was just screaming sarcasm and hostility at the last few pages and I for one agree, something had to be done. The folks at Airstream aren't on the "other team". At the other side of the coin, neither are Airstreams customers who gather in a few places to share our passion for the coach.

At any rate, I too will be looking for a decal or a t-shirt to help support the community in a legal manner or in a manner that makes all parties happy.

This is an Airstreamforums.com and Airstream issue....not a Silvertwinkie/Airstream issue or an Airstremforums.com general member/Airstream issue..... I'm happy to let these folks work out any details and let me know when and where I can participate after everyone is happy with the outcome.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
Davidz71 looks like it's a Craig talking :-) And I said David...Sorry!
That's OK, I answer to almost anything. Just ask my wife.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
Old 03-31-2005, 09:04 PM   #16
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Clearly AS has big marketing plans for the future...and we may be a wild card just getting in the way:

"Consumer Licensing Program:

On behalf of the 70-year-old icon, Global Icons, a premier licensing agency, is developing a comprehensive merchandise program based upon its famous design and reputation. The goal for the Airstream brand will be to incorporate the spirit of mid-century design, functional modernism and the quality for which Airstream is known.
By building upon these intrinsic Airstream values, Global Icons will extend the brand into a number of merchandising opportunities. Licensing categories include: Apparel & Accessories, Gift & Collectibles, Housewares, Sporting Goods, Outdoor & Camping Accessories and Travel Accessories.
Beyond merchandise, you will see Airstreams traveling with the star-studded Hollywood crowd, at sporting events like NASCAR races, on tour with high-profile rock bands and featured in numerous films, televisions shows and national advertising campaigns. "

Quote is from AS website news page.

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
Old 03-31-2005, 09:36 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
and the quality for which Airstream is known.

Steve
A sore subject for some of use around here.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I am gong to make my own decal, my own hat, my own shirt, and they will be one of a kind original pieces never to be duplicated again except by me, for me.

They will be original works of art, not for sale. I will not publish pictures of them. In order to steal the design, (or file the lawsuit), you will have to find me on the road someplace and become personal about it.

It is Freedom of Speech if it isn't for sale, and is an original design work of art.

Ahhh yes! What a wonderful country......

Woooohooo....my 300th post....yippee....

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
Old 04-01-2005, 12:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Additionally:
To clarify, Andy responded to an inquiry by me about the decal thread with over 300 posts.

It was pulled down by Andy, the owner of this forum, because in his judgement, the "[thread] had deteroriated to a counter productive discussion."

Andy owns the server, so he has the right as the ultimate "Buck Stops Here" person, to manage his domain the way he wants to manage it. I disagree that the discussion was counter productive. I believed it was an open and civil exchange of perceptions and differing opinions, and that no one was behaving badly.

Now, back to your regular programming....

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
Old 04-01-2005, 12:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I Dissent

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
The thread was not taken down for the reason stated above. The thread was taken down because it had degenerated in to nothing more that a very loud mud slinging contest. Does that help this community? Does that further the goals of the forum? Are we really sharing any useful information at that point?
I think there was useful information in the thread concerning the forum. I guess I didn't consider it mud slinging contest because some were critical of AS Corp. I just don't understand why a post or two couldn't be deleted istead of all 300, many which did include useful info and was not uncivil. I found it interesting that the thread quickly disappeared after Tim from AS Corp chimed in and was challenged by members. All of a sudden, the thread disappears. Makes me think it was the reason.

Quote:
Airstream and Organic Hosting (Andy) are working out the deal. Just because it cannot be done in the blink of an eye does not mean you are being censored.
Over two years and this is a blink of an eye? I think it is great that Andy and AS Corp are talking but why so long? I would agree with those posts that question the speed at which AS Corp is in giving this place their blessing. Why don't they recognize this place as a positive force for AS by giving us a license two years ago? The first decal was ready to ship two years ago but AS stopped it and since have been "working" on licensing the forum. And some members question whether AS Corp is asking Andy for money. If they are, then many around here would disagree with paying them. AS Corp should be paying for this place as we are their roving ambassadors.

Quote:
I am not saying you should not speak your mind, but when it gets to the point of berating another member the posts and sometimes the thread has to go. This thread is a perfect example of what happens when we even just lock a thread. A new one will start to take it's place. Will it stay nice or is it going to be a repeat? That is up to the members of the forum.
The thread regenerated anyway, so why remove the opinions of 300 posts. If it was locked or certain posts removed, at least the posts could be refered to and not have to go through it all again.

I agree that posts that are degenerative should be edited or removed. But in a thread with 300 other posts that were positive, deleting them all is just wrong in my book.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Closed Thread