Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Johns Island , South Carolina
Comfortable Sleeping - bed, mattress, pad???

The comfort of the bed in the AS we purchased used, err I mean pre-owned, leaves a bit to be desired. Are you using something besides the original bed that you particularly like? TIA.

Regards,
Ernie

P.S. I searched but couldn't find the wheat among the chaff.
kudzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Mattress, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu
The comfort of the bed in the AS we purchased used, err I mean pre-owned, leaves a bit to be desired. Are you using something besides the original bed that you particularly like? TIA.

Regards,
Ernie

P.S. I searched but couldn't find the wheat among the chaff.
There is interesting information provided by one of the members at post #4 at the following thread: http://www.airforums.com/forum...=foam+mattress

I think it all boils down to personal preference, however. For example, at home, we bought one of those temperpedic Swedish mattresses, and although it is okay, we aren't in "love" with it... but it was fairly "spendy" so we are living with it for awhile. But our daughter and her husband have one and swear by it! Good luck on finding just what you like! I have wondered if those sleep number beds make special sizes for airstreams....

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
There is another thread that may have the help you need at http://www.airforums.com/forum...=overstock.com

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
There is interesting information provided by one of the members at post #4 at the following thread: http://www.airforums.com/forum...=foam+mattress
I was the author of the post quoted above. I've been off the forum for a few months, but I'm in town until the 18th of July, then back after August 1.

I retired from a mattress company last year and can try to answer questions for you. I'll try to be unbiased. Fire away.

I couldn't agree more with the personal preference comments above and would add that longevity of the product is as important. Durability of mattresses, like so many other products, has become unimportant in our disposable marketplace. As an owner of a '63, I'm thrilled with some of the designs that have lasted so well.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
We love our foam bend in the 63. It is made of a substrate of a firm foam, and then a layer of latex foam on top. It sleeps heavenly!
Do a search for latex foam, and the information should come right up.
Memory foam can be hard to deal with if you like to turn and toss, like myself. Memory foam cretes a cradle in which you sort of sink in, and can alo make you feel hot. The latex foam supplies a certain support that seems to be just right for me and my wife. ( me -200lbs, wife -110lbs)
You may PM me if you want some contact information on the materials.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Sleep Number Bed by Select Comfort was our choice for our Queen replacement. The bed matches our larger unit at home for comfort. They make two RV sizes and should you order one, make certain it's the smaller of the two. The bed is a snap to install following the easy to read instructions that come with the bed in a two box shipment.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
We love our foam bend in the 63. It is made of a substrate of a firm foam, and then a layer of latex foam on top. It sleeps heavenly!
Do a search for latex foam, and the information should come right up.
Memory foam can be hard to deal with if you like to turn and toss, like myself. Memory foam cretes a cradle in which you sort of sink in, and can alo make you feel hot. The latex foam supplies a certain support that seems to be just right for me and my wife. ( me -200lbs, wife -110lbs)
You may PM me if you want some contact information on the materials.
Uwe-
I just ordered my latex foam for the GT. We went with a 32 ILD Latex Foam, 5 inches thick. I debated for a while about the combo of a 2" 1835 polyurethane under a 2" latex topper that I recommended to you, but I think we can handle the weight for now.
I forget -- did you go with the 2" 1835 polyurethane base and the 2" 28 ILD latex top?
Our first shakedown trip is in Vermont in the 3rd week of July. All systems have checked out well and all leaks are fixed. I hope we're ready!
John
Old 07-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63GT
Uwe-
I just ordered my latex foam for the GT. We went with a 32 ILD Latex Foam, 5 inches thick. I debated for a while about the combo of a 2" 1835 polyurethane under a 2" latex topper that I recommended to you, but I think we can handle the weight for now.
I forget -- did you go with the 2" 1835 polyurethane base and the 2" 28 ILD latex top?
Our first shakedown trip is in Vermont in the 3rd week of July. All systems have checked out well and all leaks are fixed. I hope we're ready!
John
There you are!
Went with 3in base, and 2in latex - I can only imagine what all latex would feel like.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
There you are!
Went with 3in base, and 2in latex - I can only imagine what all latex would feel like.
Don't want to hijack the thread. Sending a PM to catch up.
John
Old 07-07-2006, 10:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
Sleep Number Bed by Select Comfort was our choice for our Queen replacement.
We bought a Sleep# to replace our waterbed matress. Waterbed matresses are longer than standard spring matresses which is a huge bonus for me. I guess it should be no surprise they have a design to fit RV's special length. While they are a little bit on the spendy side I've been impressed with the company. We had a problem with our compressor and remote and they shipped us a replacement, no cost for the entire setup rather than try to debug which part had failed.

The issue I have with the slide out double in our Argosy 24 is that the "cushions" for one side end up with a seam right down the middle of where you try to sleep. We have to keep the cushions to make it into a couch so an inflatable matress is about the least of all evils when it comes to packing along extra gear.

Still think there should be a solution that works as a couch AND a bed.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:17 PM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I have a two inch memory foam topper for my standard matress. Works well. Very confortable, realtively affordable. Available from camping world.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Hard to believe (pun intended) that people can sleep very comfortably on the AS mattresses, at least on the twin mattresses in our 2006 AS 25-FB. We weren't too happy with the rock solid mattress and were disappointed that Select Comfort only had queen-sized mattresses.

What to do? Well we just bought a king-size memory foam topper 3-inches thick from Overstock.com for just $130. Today we cut it in half and rounded the corners and we now have nice comfortable beds which aren't too thick, mattress and topper, so we can use the fitted sheets just fine. We're happy now.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:53 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
quitman , Louisiana
My Solution To The Fold Out In The Den Area- Is A Foam Topper-- I Made A Large Pillow Case To Put The Whole Thing In With Velcro At The End-- So Making The Bed Is A Breeze - Just Roll It Up And Put In The Overhead Compartment Til Bedtime-- Night Night
artisan765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:41 AM   #14
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
We have a Select-Comfort type air bed that we've used for a number of years. It has now been relegated to our guest room. I considered replacing the RV queen in our Airstream with it, especially from the weight perspective. The only problem with that picture is that you have to run lines UNDER it (or around it) and have a place for the compressor.

A couple of years ago, my wife decided she couldn't live with the bad, BAD stock Airstream RV queen mattress, and (since I'm 6'5" tall) she thought she could probably shoe-horn a standard queen into the bedoom of the 34'. She got her trusty screwdriver out and pulled the headboard assembly out of the trailer... and lo and behold... a standard queen fits quite nicely!

We had replaced the queen in the house with an 11" varied layer visco-foam queen and decided to do the same in the Airstream. There's nothing like having your bed and being at home away from home. It's been excellent, and we sleep in the Airstream every bit as well as we sleep at home now. The weight factor isn't that significant, since we don't pack much in the bedroom anyway when we travel.

I'd recommend that conversion for anyone who has a rear queen setup.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1960 17' Pacer
gulf hammock , Florida
futon mattress

We have been quite happy with the futon for the main guacho.Folds up nice for day use too.
60pacerhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Ridgefield , Connecticut
I use a feather bed topper on the airstream mattress provided- coupled with some down pillows and a down comforter and it's almost heaven!
Old 07-22-2006, 08:54 PM   #17
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Great to read all the info here!

Nice thread topic. I'm a frugal girl, got a little Scotch-Irish and the moths fly out when I open my wallet (thanks to grandma) so we tossed those god awful mattresses from our 96 excella and just used the inflatable queen that we used for tent camping. Its great. Sure we have to reinflate it every four days but it is a lot better than that bed of nails from Airstream, holy Toledo! Pardon my French. Nothing fancy but we have more money for fuel and camping! Waste not want not!! We hear that a lot in Michigan.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:55 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We still have the OEM foam in our A/S on both bed and gaucho. Myself and the wife have no problems at all sleeping on either.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:10 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Waskom , Texas
The Aero bed works for me!

I started with a cotton pad type futon, which by morning made you swear you were on a board. I then tried the foam mattresses and pads, which were much better but still not satisfactory. I now use a full size Aero bed which stores nicely in it's bag during the day (under the couch/ bed).

I modified my Overlander. The top of the gaucho bed/ couch is now on one side in the middle to make into an almost full size bed. My couch/ bed expands similar to a sofa sleeper, allowing each person just enough room to get out of bed without climbing over the other.
Calvin
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Had Down Comforter and Feather Bed

Love a down comforter BUT in a small area (like an Airstream) do not like the tiny feathers everywhere! Anyone who uses the word "down proof cover" is lyingg. I've been sleeping under a sheet for the summer but will have to do something when the weather turns.

I'll probably go with poly fill or buy some polar fleece for blanket material.

I had a custom innerspring mattress made for my 22ft - wasn't really too expensive compared to buying off the shelf - but weighs a lot. Not easy to turn over or make up the bed, won't go that route again. I may get an inflatable and add a foam topper.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote