Old 07-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
1960 17' Pacer
gulf hammock , Florida
futon mattress

We have been quite happy with the futon for the main guacho.Folds up nice for day use too.

60pacerhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2004 19' International CCD
Ridgefield , Connecticut
I use a feather bed topper on the airstream mattress provided- coupled with some down pillows and a down comforter and it's almost heaven!

sparky5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:54 PM   #17
We can tow it!
1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Great to read all the info here!

Nice thread topic. I'm a frugal girl, got a little Scotch-Irish and the moths fly out when I open my wallet (thanks to grandma) so we tossed those god awful mattresses from our 96 excella and just used the inflatable queen that we used for tent camping. Its great. Sure we have to reinflate it every four days but it is a lot better than that bed of nails from Airstream, holy Toledo! Pardon my French. Nothing fancy but we have more money for fuel and camping! Waste not want not!! We hear that a lot in Michigan.
Steph in MI Air# 6996-
I Hockeytown USA!!
tin sista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:55 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We still have the OEM foam in our A/S on both bed and gaucho. Myself and the wife have no problems at all sleeping on either.
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:10 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1966 26' Overlander
Waskom , Texas
The Aero bed works for me!

I started with a cotton pad type futon, which by morning made you swear you were on a board. I then tried the foam mattresses and pads, which were much better but still not satisfactory. I now use a full size Aero bed which stores nicely in it's bag during the day (under the couch/ bed).

I modified my Overlander. The top of the gaucho bed/ couch is now on one side in the middle to make into an almost full size bed. My couch/ bed expands similar to a sofa sleeper, allowing each person just enough room to get out of bed without climbing over the other.
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Had Down Comforter and Feather Bed

Love a down comforter BUT in a small area (like an Airstream) do not like the tiny feathers everywhere! Anyone who uses the word "down proof cover" is lyingg. I've been sleeping under a sheet for the summer but will have to do something when the weather turns.

I'll probably go with poly fill or buy some polar fleece for blanket material.

I had a custom innerspring mattress made for my 22ft - wasn't really too expensive compared to buying off the shelf - but weighs a lot. Not easy to turn over or make up the bed, won't go that route again. I may get an inflatable and add a foam topper.

Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote