Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: How do you (mostly) use your AS?
Camping in the lap of luxury 92 40.00%
Stylish lodging, wherever my destination may be 106 46.09%
Sumptuous guest house 4 1.74%
Other (please post details) 28 12.17%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2004, 07:36 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Pahaska- How were the wildflowers? Where and what were your favorites? Silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 11:24 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Congrats~!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator
Romantic Interludes with my wife of 43 years; as of today as a matter of fact.
WOW..That's something to be very proud of~!!
Best wishes for many more years~!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 12:18 PM   #23
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
Pahaska- How were the wildflowers? Where and what were your favorites? Silver suz
Lots of flowers. Lilacs were everywhere and we could smell them just driving by. We were at Mackinac Island during the Lilac festival. Medians, in many places, were carpets of flowers.

During the horse-drawn carriage ride on Mackinac Island, the guide pointed out an amazing variety of wildflowers. Incidentally, there is a BIG fine there for picking a wildflower ... up to $750 for one variety.

I like the tiny Forget-Me-Nots about the best.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 04:19 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Camping vs Lodging??

I hadn't given that a thought before, I used to do a lot of camping. Although we still love 'rustic' settings, nat/state parks etc., I guess we're more into the 'luxury' of mobile lodging for our traveling.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:16 AM   #25
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
Wink

I live in the Argosy TT(7 years) and camp in the Argosy 28' MH.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:17 AM   #26
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Some stats

I just finished making a spreadsheet from my travel log and some of the numbers surprised me. I have had the new Classic 25 for a little less than a year now. I have towed just over 8500 miles total so far, about 7775 miles this year, all with the diesel. That's about 566 gallons of diesel.

I, and my favorite travelling cat, have spent 81 nights in the trailer; my wife, who just recently retired, has spent 62 nights. 27 of my nights or exactly 1/3 of the nights, have been out of the state of Texas. 14 nights have been in state or COE parks.

I have hooked up the trailer to the truck a total of 45 times counting local maintenance trips such as back to the dealer.

Longest trip was 4310 miles to PA, OH, MI, and WI. Second longest was 1372 miles.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:03 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

I purchased my Airstream because I was unhappy with my life and needed a change. The problem was that I didn't know what that change was. So I quit my job, sold my house, hitched up the trailer and away I went. My short term plan was to purchase a piece of property, park the Airstream on it and build my own house. My only complaint about my Airstream is this... I have been living full time in it for the last 3 months and although I have done some scouting around at properties, I am just way TOO comfortable to get off my derriere everyday. This thing is just like home! Now I wish I had bought a tent trailer with a leaky roof!

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 01:34 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Stylish lodging... new style of travel

We got our Airstream as a new source of fun and to facilitate seeing things we might not otherwise see. We're tired of five-star hotels and some of the hassles; and we get enough of that with business travel (and whatever other travel we choose to do)... so we think our new A/S is stylish lodging wherever the wind and the diesel blow us.
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 02:28 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Other...

The 24ft '78 Argosy that I recently purchased with garage sale $ will be my home for however long it takes while I rent out my home....It was the only way that I could get my 20 y/o son out of my house...and a solution to save $ for an early retirement...I'll be able to live my life simply w/o "things" communing with nature, clearing blackberry bushes instead of mowing lawns and vacuuming a 1700 sq foot house...and pretending to be in the "witness protection program" in my lovely pasture...ready to take off when the urge hits me...

If anyone would have predicted this is what I would be doing a year ago I would have said that they were off their rocker...
Trailerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 02:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie G
It seems to me that some of us use our Airstreams to camp in style, and others of us use our Airstreams as stylish travel lodgings.

Which category do you fall into?
Just starting. Goin' on the road. Doin' my art. Writin' my script and hopefully livin' cheap.
Mountains to climb, forests to hike, rivers to run...
Barry Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 04:38 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Camper or Traveler?

I must admit having forgotten why I enjoyed my Airstream and Argosy so much - - then both of my tow vehicles went on strike at the same time just before the WBCCI Rocky Mountain Region VAC Rally. Since I didn't want to miss the rally, I chose to attend using the old "motel" route. The experience reminded me how important having my own bed and bathroom at my convenience in the coach; and reaffirmed my distaste for the daily hassle of packing and repacking luggage in the car's trunk. My Airstream and Argosy will have a place in my life as "stylish travel accommodations" for many years to come.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:38 AM   #32
Who popped my rivets?

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Glendale , Oregon
Our current 1956 22 foot AS trailer is currently being used as a beautiful deco yard ornament! The day that it is ready to roll out of the gates again, it will be mainly used for camping in the Cascades and Coastal ranges of the Pacific Northwest.

singing....oh how nice it will be...the day I can give away my tent!
DustyDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:16 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Just about everything from living in it full time for 3+ months in Florida, boondocking in Indiana, camping out in luxury in Pennsylvania and Ohio, to Disney World in Florida. Nothing but great people and great memories.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:33 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
traveling

This is the fourth season with our A/S. We have towed the unit over 28,000 miles, we are on our second set of tires, our second set of batteries, and I've lost count of the number of times I've refilled the gas bottles. We've been to every state in the union except Rhode Island, Michigan, North Dakota, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. I don't know when we will ever be to North Dakota, maybe when we go to Alaska.

Sure is great to travel with. This past summer, just my wife and I traveled with our little Pug. This is the first time since we've been married that we ever spent 4 weeks together. We had a great time and the check book shows it.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:07 PM   #35
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Just about everything from living in it full time for 3+ months in Florida, boondocking in Indiana, camping out in luxury in Pennsylvania and Ohio, to Disney World in Florida. Nothing but great people and great memories.
How did you like Disney World's camp ground? We are big Disney fans and look forward to at least one stay at Ft. Wilderness. (We usually stay at The Animal Kingdom Lodge or Swan, but want to try roughing it in an Airstream just once! LOL )
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:20 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

I know that you asked the question of Pick, but I will interject my comments.
We have been going to Fort Wilderness since 1986 and will continue to make periodic visits because it is one of the most relaxing places to go when a hurricane is no where in site. Our fondest memory was a rainy Thanksgiving; a turkey in the oven; kids happy with a video; and a dry Airstream.
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 02:34 PM   #37
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Glad to hear there are other Disney fans on this forum that like to visit WDW often. We drive down from Atlanta about three times a year and have been regulars since our oldest was 2 years old (his first visit was at 10 mos. old, if you don't count the trip in Mommy's tummy). We have gone as many as five times but that included one annual passholder week end and another 4-day week end in July. My oldest's current teacher is going the same time we are this next trip (12/18-12/24/04) and her hubby's goal is to stay in every Disney hotel at WDW!

Once we purchase our Airstream, I'm sure my wife and I will view our travels as stylish lodgings, but I know our boys will view them as luxurious camping. Heck, at 4 & 7, they will just view them as camping. The boys are the biggest part of our decision to buy a travel trailer...so they can see the country from up close and personal and not through a tiny window from an air plane seat.

The reason we decided on an Airstream is Mom and Dad's desire for the style, comfort, and luxury of an Airstream. Yes, we are spoilt. Especially Mom. Don't tell her I said that. But she will agree if you do.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:46 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
New Bloomfield , Missouri
Thumbs up

This is our second Airstream. We owned the first one - a 1964 Globetrotter for 7 1/2 years and towed it across the country at least twice and camped in most of the western states.

For us the choice to buy an older Airstream was a no-brainer. What else can you buy that's 30 years old and put thousands of miles on it and then sell it and get your money back out of it? And what else can you buy for the money that exudes such quality?
I'd rather camp in my 34 year old LandYacht than in the fanciest 5th Wheel on the road!
mtjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 04:56 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
A distraction

I was looking for a project to provide a distraction to my every day world...I found it in the Airstream.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 08:47 PM   #40
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, folks,

I live in my Excella and work on my Argosy... I started living in a travel trailer in 1992 because I needed a residence on-site where I worked at the time. I was surprised to find that it was adequate for for my needs and comfortable enough. This year I "upgraded" to the Excella, found this forum, and am now restoring the Argosy. I haven't decided if I'll sell the Argosy when I'm done with it or keep it for my camper and use the Excella as my "cottage." Then again, my cottage rolls and it needs to roll. I'm about to start on my NEXT project, which will be a vintage tow vehichle to tow my vintage cottage... which I made a 2,750 mile round trip to obtain. I'm still as pleased as dirt with the Excella, by the way.
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote