Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Where does your TV Cable & Phone cord 'exit' your rig to hookup?
Rear Bumper Storage 16 25.00%
Refrigerator Access panel 12 18.75%
Other 36 56.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2004, 12:48 AM   #1
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Cable/Phone HookUp

What place does your TV cable & phone cords 'exit' your Airstream to hookup outside?
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 05:11 AM   #2
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Mine exits the floor under the credenza.
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 06:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Modification

My Overlander originally had a television antenna mounted street-side of the forward window. A 300 ohm flatlead came out of "weathertight" fitting on the skin & attached to the antenna.

With no plans to use the antenna, I removed it & soldered a balun transformer to the wiring, pushed it into the hole, and sealed the hole with a bulkhead-style, 75 ohm coax cable fitting. A similar excercise made the inside jack ready for modern day televisions.

I neither have a phone jack nor plans to install one. But if I did, I would probably run the wiring out the bottom as I don't think I could bring myself to drill a hole in the visible skin.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:17 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Cable exits

The current Classics (I don't know how far back) have the TV and phone jacks inside the compartment where the power cord stows. The TV jack is a bear to screw on unless you purchase a slip-on connector. There is no finger room around the jack and it is out of sight unless you get on your knees/
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 06:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
The '04 Safari has 2 covered jacks (duplex outlet) on the street side rear, 1-75 ohm coax, the other a 4-pin phone jack.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Mine exits the floor on the street side somewhere around the wardrobe cabinet in the center sleeping area.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 09:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I've opted to forget the TV and just use a radio. I enjoy sitting under the awning and listening to it while I relax and enjoy the scenery around me. I do bring my cell, but that is for emergencies. I really don't want to pull my AS and set it up in order to relocate my couch-potatoness in front of a boob-tube.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 01:37 AM   #8
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG
. I really don't want to pull my AS and set it up in order to relocate my couch-potatoness in front of a boob-tube.

I think that's the BEST thing I've heard in a long time!!! KUDOs for YOU John!!!
Below is a website I recent learned about for your 'listening' enjoyment (online)...you won't BELIEVE the "library". (list). This website all about old radio shows.

just click here> http://www.radiolovers.com/
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:38 AM   #9
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Exiting Holes?

I think it's a 'given' not to puncture the chassis of these Airstreams, and I think I understand what the post above was describing about removal of the antenna and 'plugging' the hole it left.

And then,
Pehaska said:
The current Classics (I don't know how far back) have the TV and phone jacks inside the compartment where the power cord stows. The TV jack is a bear to screw on unless you purchase a slip-on connector. There is no finger room around the jack and it is out of sight unless you get on your knees/

I checked that; my power cord comes out and is stored IN the bumper compartment. I cleaned it all out, being quite certain I'd find the cable & phone hookups there---not so. Now, I am designing a convenient and functional spot for them --- custom made.

I just wish you 'guys' would speak in layman's terms...because someone else said

"... soldered a balun [WHAT THE HECK IS 'balun' & 'bulkhead style' ??] .... to the wiring, .....bulkhead-style, ....
I can't follow what I don't understand...so please...for those of us who are not up on these terms...please use lay-speak.
Thank you so much.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:23 AM   #10
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
You could go to an Airstream dealer and have them install the newer style phone/cable access panel, but it looks like home depot style material to me. It seems that you would need a weather tight dual outlet cover, and the inside parts to convert one side for the tv, and the other side for a phone jack. Holes would have to be drilled somehwere convenient in the skin. Preferable in the general vicinity of the water connection and dump valve.
I drilled a small hole in the skin, and mounted a coax connection. The cable runs inside the streetside closet, and connects to the antenna booster inside the overhead bin for the winegard antenna.
I am not familiar with your interior layout, but am assuming that your existing tv wiring is already coax, not flat wire.
My final suggestion to you would be to seek professional help, even though this is not a very difficult upgrade. The function of these systems directly depends on the quality of the installation.